Shopping Discussion

Fake SD cards sold by third party but "Fulfilled by Amazon"!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 1:34 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2008
629 posts
415 upvotes

Fake SD cards sold by third party but "Fulfilled by Amazon"!

There has always been fake stuff floating around on Amazon, but recently I've noticed some of these fake stuffs are "Fulfilled by Amazon".

Understandably it's still sold by a third party, but doesn't Amazon do any sort of due diligence? This is hampering people's trust in Amazon.

Examples, 64GB MicroSD cards with only 4GB of usable capacity:

http://amzn.to/1LM7bU2

http://amzn.to/1MtaxIN
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Due diligence? They are not running a police force. Given the amount of items they sell, they expect people to abide by their terms and conditions and could not possibly vet each item.

Why not report it to Amazon? Why not send an e-mail to Jeff directly?
Mar 28, 2008
629 posts
415 upvotes
I have in fact reported these, and nothing was done about it.

Also, it's pretty evident that most of the real customers left 1-star reviews.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ngold wrote: There has always been fake stuff floating around on Amazon, but recently I've noticed some of these fake stuffs are "Fulfilled by Amazon".

Understandably it's still sold by a third party, but doesn't Amazon do any sort of due diligence? This is hampering people's trust in Amazon.

Examples, 64GB MicroSD cards with only 4GB of usable capacity:

http://amzn.to/1LM7bU2

http://amzn.to/1MtaxIN
Fulfilled by Amazon only means Amazon stores the product and provide shipping/some CS support. It doesn't mean they actually check everything. It's probably also why the seller used these generic merchandise - won't raise flags when you see them vs well known brands like Sandisk.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Amazon should give you your money back. I bought a telephone headset once from a Canadian seller. It was also fulfilled by Amazon. But it was a US product and had only a US warranty. With my bad luck, it failed within the short warranty period. I called Amazon and explained the situation and they refunded my money. I did have to ship the broken headset back to them but they paid the shipping costs. Besides given me my money back, they also gave me an additional credit for the price of the item. When the CSR asked if I would accept the credit, I thought it was in place of the refund but it was in addition to it.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1662 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
Lol at 5 star reviews by "Amazon Customer". Seems legit :D

Reminds me of 2 other related scams.
1) Fake 2TB hard drives bought in China, plug it in, computer recognizes 32 gigs. Guy later opens it up, finds like a 32 gig usb thumb drive.
Kinda like http://www.neowin.net/news/fake-chinese ... -literally

2) Just read today that someone bought a "GTX760" video card from ebay from some guy that ships from Hong Kong. $70 USD. Ran a test and showed that it ran slower than a gtx460. According to Nvidia, some are GTX440 in different clothing.. with a fake bios to show GTX 760 in GPUZ. But when you look at the shaders and fill rate, etc, you can see it's a 440.

Apparently ebay is flooded with those cards. Some of them are on amazon too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon needs to figure something out regarding third party sellers, having said that the likley hood of being scammed is still fairly low compared to other places.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LKane1 wrote: Lol at 5 star reviews by "Amazon Customer". Seems legit :D

Reminds me of 2 other related scams.
1) Fake 2TB hard drives bought in China, plug it in, computer recognizes 32 gigs. Guy later opens it up, finds like a 32 gig usb thumb drive.
Kinda like http://www.neowin.net/news/fake-chinese ... -literally

2) Just read today that someone bought a "GTX760" video card from ebay from some guy that ships from Hong Kong. $70 USD. Ran a test and showed that it ran slower than a gtx460. According to Nvidia, some are GTX440 in different clothing.. with a fake bios to show GTX 760 in GPUZ. But when you look at the shaders and fill rate, etc, you can see it's a 440.

Apparently ebay is flooded with those cards. Some of them are on amazon too.
lol..noticed that too from the first link OP provided. All 5 star ratings were provided by that one same customer. It is well known that people are paid to write these fake reviews, esp in China.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
This is like yelling at eBay because a seller sells something fake.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
death_hawk wrote: This is like yelling at eBay because a seller sells something fake.
Not really. Amazon has their A to Z Guarantee and will stand behind things that are sold through Marketplace sellers.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zentro wrote: Amazon needs to figure something out regarding third party sellers, having said that the likley hood of being scammed is still fairly low compared to other places.
Indeed. Agreed.

I think the problem they get is 10 different 3rd party sellers who"Fulfill by Amazon" but 1 out of those 10 guys will supply a counterfeit product to Amazon's warehouse. You might buy the item from "Seller A", but the the item from "Seller F" is in a warehouse closer to your location. Amazon considers all the items to be identical so they will ship you from the closest available stock. You get screwed with a fake product and Seller A's reputation gets unjustly tarnished.

They have since required 3rd party sellers to label their own items so hopefully this will bring some accountability.
death_hawk wrote: This is like yelling at eBay because a seller sells something fake.
Amazon has a lot more responsibility than eBay here, since "Fulfilled by Amazon" sellers are actually using Amazon's own warehouses and shipping facilities to deliver the items.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Not really. Amazon has their A to Z Guarantee and will stand behind things that are sold through Marketplace sellers.
i don't know... eBay has their own set of guarantees as well.
Amazon just handles the customer service side better.
But if you get fakes from eBay and raise a dispute with paypal (and let's face it, who doesn't pay with Paypal) you'll still get a refund.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Amazon has a lot more responsibility than eBay here, since "Fulfilled by Amazon" sellers are actually using Amazon's own warehouses and shipping facilities to deliver the items.
Do they really? All Amazon is doing is fulfillment.
Granted... you do have a point about the above with A vs F but it's still not really Amazon's fault.
Mar 28, 2008
629 posts
415 upvotes
I think Amazon should start banning these sellers. They are basically scammers. Amazon shouldn't tolerate scam activities on their website, let alone helping them fulfilling orders.