• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 1:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
390 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Family Doctor

I am looking for a new family doctor since my previous family doctor retired.

I found a doctor that also runs a walk in clinic.

In order to have the doctor become my family doctor I must have a meet and greet with the doctor. I went as a walk in before my meet and greet for an issue and I need some blood work done. The results from my blood work are in and my meet and greet is Friday, but I am unable to discusss my blood work with the doctor at the meet and greet because they only want 1 issue per an appointment, so I must go as a walk in tomorrow or can book an appointment for Wednesday, because they are unable to book me for 2 time slots on Friday.

I want opinions on if this is how most doctors work now?
Also if you have routine blood work done, ie. for cholesterol or blood sugar levels, etc., do you need to make an appointment for the doctor to say that everything is normal? With my previous doctor I was able to call in and he or the secretary would call back and say everything is normal or watch animal fat intake. If there was more to discuss then he would say to make an appointment.

Please give opinions, if this is normal or if I should look for another doctor. The doctor herself was nice.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4647 posts
2334 upvotes
whoam wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:12 pm
I am looking for a new family doctor since my previous family doctor retired.

I found a doctor that also runs a walk in clinic.

In order to have the doctor become my family doctor I must have a meet and greet with the doctor. I went as a walk in before my meet and greet for an issue and I need some blood work done. The results from my blood work are in and my meet and greet is Friday, but I am unable to discusss my blood work with the doctor at the meet and greet because they only want 1 issue per an appointment, so I must go as a walk in tomorrow or can book an appointment for Wednesday, because they are unable to book me for 2 time slots on Friday.

I want opinions on if this is how most doctors work now?
Also if you have routine blood work done, ie. for cholesterol or blood sugar levels, etc., do you need to make an appointment for the doctor to say that everything is normal? With my previous doctor I was able to call in and he or the secretary would call back and say everything is normal or watch animal fat intake. If there was more to discuss then he would say to make an appointment.

Please give opinions, if this is normal or if I should look for another doctor. The doctor herself was nice.
is the doctor billing for meet and greet? I dont think they are allowed... check with OHIP on this.. Im calling BS.

I think the doctor is just looking to double bill here...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1677 posts
495 upvotes
Be very careful with doctors in walk in clinics. many are on suspension or had so few clients they were forced to work there. You have to check the Ontario's doctor's registry to see if that particular doctor had suspensions and any notes by the medical board. T his part is very important. You'll be surprised at what you find.

A few years back I was in the same boat and was going to just go to any walk in clinic and sign up with the doctor. Then on a hunch I researched the list of available doctors and 1 of them was not allowed to see patients without a supervising doctor present. Had I not checked, that might have been my fate.

On that same database you'll see when the doctor graduated - it doesn't hurt to ask if the doctor has many patients compared to the other doctors at the clinic. If the doc graduated 4 years ago and there are few if any patients then u best avoid.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
390 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:20 pm
Be very careful with doctors in walk in clinics. many are on suspension or had so few clients they were forced to work there. You have to check the Ontario's doctor's registry to see if that particular doctor had suspensions and any notes by the medical board. T his part is very important. You'll be surprised at what you find.

A few years back I was in the same boat and was going to just go to any walk in clinic and sign up with the doctor. Then on a hunch I researched the list of available doctors and 1 of them was not allowed to see patients without a supervising doctor present. Had I not checked, that might have been my fate.

On that same database you'll see when the doctor graduated - it doesn't hurt to ask if the doctor has many patients compared to the other doctors at the clinic. If the doc graduated 4 years ago and there are few if any patients then u best avoid.
Thank you for this information.

This is what I found out about the doctor
may practise family medicine at (3 clinics listed) in Toronto, Ontario, while under supervision coordinated by a supervisor acceptable to the College. The effective dates were 2016 to 2018

Does this mean a supervisor must be present, because there was no one present at my first visit. Does the effective dates mean they are a new doctor?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1677 posts
495 upvotes
actually am not sure. Might be new thus need supervision.

Why is this guy at 3 clinics? I wouldn't take this doctor for that reason alone. If you need to see the same doctor it might be hard to if he's moving between 3 clinics.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
390 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
When I searched about meet and greet and ohip, this is what I found out about from a different clinics website:

Meet-and-Greet Appointment

In order to register with a family doctor at our clinic, an initial meet and greet appointment will be scheduled with the physician of your choice who is currently accepting new patients. The purpose of this meeting is to get acquainted with your physician and only intended to discuss and review your medical history. Kindly note, no concerns will be addressed in this meeting. Should you need to see a physician regarding a more urgent concern, you are more than welcome to book a walk-in appointment prior to setting up your meet-and-greet. Please note however, due to OHIP restrictions these appointments cannot be both booked on the same day.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
whoam wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:44 am
When I searched about meet and greet and ohip, this is what I found out about from a different clinics website:

Meet-and-Greet Appointment

In order to register with a family doctor at our clinic, an initial meet and greet appointment will be scheduled with the physician of your choice who is currently accepting new patients. The purpose of this meeting is to get acquainted with your physician and only intended to discuss and review your medical history. Kindly note, no concerns will be addressed in this meeting. Should you need to see a physician regarding a more urgent concern, you are more than welcome to book a walk-in appointment prior to setting up your meet-and-greet. Please note however, due to OHIP restrictions these appointments cannot be both booked on the same day.
My family doctor works out of a walk in clinic and that was what happened at the meet and greet. I'm allowed to ask her more than one questions or bring up more than one issue (within reason) at an apt. This dr is so much better than the family dr I had for years and retired last year. If you join the practice there's a form you have to sign that has some verbiage about not clinic hopping and staying in with the doctor for six months before considering a switch.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
amz155 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 2:27 pm
My family doctor works out of a walk in clinic and that was what happened at the meet and greet. I'm allowed to ask her more than one questions or bring up more than one issue (within reason) at an apt. This dr is so much better than the family dr I had for years and retired last year. If you join the practice there's a form you have to sign that has some verbiage about not clinic hopping and staying in with the doctor for six months before considering a switch.
That form is to designate your doctor as your "primary care physician" for purposes of OHIP billing. See, what happened before... patients were able to see any number of GP's. Many sought multiple opinions for the same medical issue and therefore caused multiple billings to OHIP. Not only that, drug addicts would visit multiple docs to get the same script for pills. Now with the current system, all the docs are linked in the same system. No matter what doc you went to they are able to see who your primary care physician is and contact that doc to see what scripts were given, etc.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:43 pm
That form is to designate your doctor as your "primary care physician" for purposes of OHIP billing. See, what happened before... patients were able to see any number of GP's. Many sought multiple opinions for the same medical issue and therefore caused multiple billings to OHIP. Not only that, drug addicts would visit multiple docs to get the same script for pills. Now with the current system, all the docs are linked in the same system. No matter what doc you went to they are able to see who your primary care physician is and contact that doc to see what scripts were given, etc.
Yup!
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
amz155 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:26 am
Yup!
Not only that, pharmacists can see all scripts by docs under your name. They can prevent the issue of medicines if they feel the amount or combo thereof will cause you to croak or some shit.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:33 am
Not only that, pharmacists can see all scripts by docs under your name. They can prevent the issue of medicines if they feel the amount or combo thereof will cause you to croak or some shit.
Really? How long has that been in place? That's a good practice IMO.

Because earlier this year I was prescribed something for travel that I filled at Costco (because I had several things to fill, Costco was more convenient). I usually go to anothe pharmacy for my regular stuff. When they gave me my prescriptions *I* asked about side effects between taking what I usually take (from usual pharmacy) and what I needed for travel. The pharmacist quickly grabbed the stuff back. I was kind of peeved that if I hadn't asked about side effects, I wouldn't have known. So are you saying they should've known on their end in the system and I didn't even need to ask? Because I'm surprised they never mentioned it until I asked.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
amz155 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:18 pm
Really? How long has that been in place? That's a good practice IMO.

Because earlier this year I was prescribed something for travel that I filled at Costco (because I had several things to fill, Costco was more convenient). I usually go to anothe pharmacy for my regular stuff. When they gave me my prescriptions *I* asked about side effects between taking what I usually take (from usual pharmacy) and what I needed for travel. The pharmacist quickly grabbed the stuff back. I was kind of peeved that if I hadn't asked about side effects, I wouldn't have known. So are you saying they should've known on their end in the system and I didn't even need to ask? Because I'm surprised they never mentioned it until I asked.
Like doctors, not every pharmacist is on the ball. They just lazy but yes, it is part of their job. They are supposed to tell you bad effects/side effects from different combo's of meds or too much meds. I know becuz it happened to me. I was prescribed an atopical cream for eczema from my dermo. I didnt know I had an older script in the system from my family doctor. The pharmacist questioned me if I still had it and how often I used it, etc. Then she refused to give me the ointment from the new script. She said she will add it on to the end of old script so I will get more total repeats.
Last edited by aznnorth on Aug 25th, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.