• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 4:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 8, 2016
58 posts
Thunder Bay

Family photos

My oldest son is leaving at the end of the month for the Air Force and i'm getting outdoor family photos done before he goes. We do have alot of snow and Lake Superior is frozen over - we are using that as a backdrop. We have a wonderful photographer lined up and i'm excited. My question is though, with the snow and ice, what would be a good thing to wear. I'm thinking some with our hoodies on but then want one where we are dressed very similar - there are 6 of us and the kids are 11-19.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4850 posts
1073 upvotes
Aurora
I just wanted to say best of luck to your son for the noble pursuit of serving our country.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2016
58 posts
Thunder Bay
We are about 14 hours from North Bay but may move there this summer. Thank you DiceMan, I'm very proud of him.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2175 posts
473 upvotes
Canada Goose!

I’m being a bit facetious and at the same time not, as those jackets are very much Canadian.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10858 posts
5059 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I am a family and wedding photographer, imho your photog should be guiding you on this with your input.

Against snow, I like dark neutrals with a touch of red for everyone, one person wears a red scarf, another wears a red sweater, another a red hat, etc... it doesn't have to be red, but choose a cohesive colour that provides punch.

Posing is important, notice how everyone is standing a bit different. You end up with something like this:

Your photog should also be providing you a large print, as what he/she sees on the monitor is not what is always printed, they should be using colour profiles. Even Costco has specific profiles based on location.
https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profi ... les.htm#CA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5622 posts
3200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 2:57 pm
Depending on you heritage and lifestyle, something quintessential Canadian of course !
A darker colour to contrast against the white bright snowy background.
Isn't CFB North Bay near Thunder Bay ?
More examples: https://www.pinterest.ca/explore/winter-family-photos/
Nice photo.

But North Bay near Thunder Bay ?

Good Lord ... NO

Look at a map, Onatario is huge.
TBay is at the NW end of the Cdn side Lake Superior... NBay is due north from TO
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5622 posts
3200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:38 pm
I am a family and wedding photographer, imho your photog should be guiding you on this with your input.

Against snow, I like dark neutrals with a touch of red for everyone, one person wears a red scarf, another wears a red sweater, another a red hat, etc... it doesn't have to be red, but choose a cohesive colour that provides punch.

Posing is important, notice how everyone is standing a bit different. You end up with something like this:

Your photog should also be providing you a large print, as what he/she sees on the monitor is not what is always printed, they should be using colour profiles. Even Costco has specific profiles based on location.
https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profi ... les.htm#CA
I am going to assume the Winter Family Photo is one of yours... nice job

The unifier here would clearly be Blue Jeans, Plaid and Red

Think this is one of the best Winter Family Outdoor Groupings I have ever seen.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4439 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
I agree its a great photo. I think I will use it on my Xmas card next year!!
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
Well I am sure your son can set up a temporary change room complete with all the clothes you want to bring for this very important family photoshoot. You have the means to bring your clothes there I assume!

If not, I hope he picks up this skill during training!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1109 posts
161 upvotes
Bedford
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:38 pm

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profi ... s.htm#CAon a grey
Great response. We don't do as many outdoor family photos in winter, but this one inspires me to go out and do some of these. Sadly, my 'go to' spots in spring/fall don't look the best on grey Jan days with no snow. I'll have to find a few that will work better in Winter.