• Mar 27th, 2017 4:03 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2014
512 posts
85 upvotes
Pickering, ON

Family Portrait

Hi All,

My wife said she wants a family portrait or her birthday this year. Can someone give me a really good recommendation? I have 2 young children that are 27 months and 9 months, so i need photographer who is really good with children or Photoshop. I live in the Pickering, Ontario area and we are open to outdoor or in-studio. Spring is around the corner and I would personally like outdoor shots.

I will need a few large prints or if the photographer willing to give me the raw images that I can print myself.

Thank You,
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3091 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga
What is your budget and time frame?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8887 posts
3225 upvotes
Southern Ontario
SleepyEyez wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:47 pm
Hi All,

My wife said she wants a family portrait or her birthday this year. Can someone give me a really good recommendation? I have 2 young children that are 27 months and 9 months, so i need photographer who is really good with children or Photoshop. I live in the Pickering, Ontario area and we are open to outdoor or in-studio. Spring is around the corner and I would personally like outdoor shots.

I will need a few large prints or if the photographer willing to give me the raw images that I can print myself.

Thank You,
I'm sure you mean the edited jpg's as it's unprofessional to deliver out-of-camera RAWs that may have uneven horizons, are in RAW flat contrast and dull colours, have distracting elements not cloned out, etc. Editing is a major part of the photog's artistic style. However, pick someone who WILL give you the finalized edited jpg's rather than just trying to sell you prints only. Who likes their digitals held hostage?

Mainly, choose one based on the existing portfolio as styles vary wildly and you should expect the final product to be similar to what you see consistently in their portfolio. A photog that specializes in young families benefits from having an assistant that keeps children engaged, my wife for example loves doing this, example. The basis for posing a family is pick one parent and build. I usually choose the family’s mother, a beautifully depicted mom is a happy mom! Turn heads and body language toward one another, add youngest children first (on knee, between legs, etc). Avoid lining up heads, consider triangles or candid motion. If outdoors, lighting is usually best near sunset. Putting a shot together is actually deliberate and you’ll notice the same thing in EVERY good family photo.

Your photog should provide you jpg's in the printer profile of where they are being printed. I usually include a print as it benefits both me as a professional, and for client satisfaction. What I see on my calibrated monitor is confirmed what is printed on paper. And I advise my customers to print extras at the same place (could be as easy as Costco).

Just offering a few tips and demystifying it here, not endorsing myself as I don't travel out of my area (except weddings) but you may have already received some private messages from others. Or search your social media contacts, there’s lots of amateurs who do great work if you’re on a budget. Good luck!
[OP]
Apr 29, 2014
512 posts
85 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Blackmajik wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:24 am
What is your budget and time frame?
I don't know how much it would cost to get a family photo shoot. What's an average?
[OP]
Apr 29, 2014
512 posts
85 upvotes
Pickering, ON
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:55 am
I'm sure you mean the edited jpg's as it's unprofessional to deliver out-of-camera RAWs that may have uneven horizons, are in RAW flat contrast and dull colours, have distracting elements not cloned out, etc. Editing is a major part of the photog's artistic style. However, pick someone who WILL give you the finalized edited jpg's rather than just trying to sell you prints only. Who likes their digitals held hostage?

Mainly, choose one based on the existing portfolio as styles vary wildly and you should expect the final product to be similar to what you see consistently in their portfolio. A photog that specializes in young families benefits from having an assistant that keeps children engaged, my wife for example loves doing this, example. The basis for posing a family is pick one parent and build. I usually choose the family’s mother, a beautifully depicted mom is a happy mom! Turn heads and body language toward one another, add youngest children first (on knee, between legs, etc). Avoid lining up heads, consider triangles or candid motion. If outdoors, lighting is usually best near sunset. Putting a shot together is actually deliberate and you’ll notice the same thing in EVERY good family photo.

Your photog should provide you jpg's in the printer profile of where they are being printed. I usually include a print as it benefits both me as a professional, and for client satisfaction. What I see on my calibrated monitor is confirmed what is printed on paper. And I advise my customers to print extras at the same place (could be as easy as Costco).

Just offering a few tips and demystifying it here, not endorsing myself as I don't travel out of my area (except weddings) but you may have already received some private messages from others. Or search your social media contacts, there’s lots of amateurs who do great work if you’re on a budget. Good luck!
I got no offer so far.

Thanks for explaining the process. Too bad you're not in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2322 posts
340 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:38 am
I don't know how much it would cost to get a family photo shoot. What's an average?
Anywhere from $25 Craigslist special to $500.

Expect $150-300ish. Worth it and very necessary. Your little ones are little just once!

I'll PM you a name out your way!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2910 posts
233 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:47 pm
Hi All,

Thank You,
I occasionally do family photos when my schedule permits but usually only in Toronto. My rates are $600-800 for family sessions fwiw.

Neil
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel