• Feb 13th, 2019 9:24 am
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
760 posts
31 upvotes
GTA, ON

ON family travel suggestions for Canada Day weekend

Hi savvy travellers,

I'm looking for travel ideas in Ontario for the Canada Day weekend. We are a family of four (2 kids: 3 & 6). I have already booked 2 weekends (otentik - Point Peele & Thousand Islands) in July & August. Wondering if there are any other suggestions in ON that could be utilized without breaking the bank.

TIA!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7407 posts
4842 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Shop-a-holic wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:34 pm
Hi savvy travellers,

I'm looking for travel ideas in Ontario for the Canada Day weekend. We are a family of four (2 kids: 3 & 6). I have already booked 2 weekends (otentik - Point Peele & Thousand Islands) in July & August. Wondering if there are any other suggestions in ON that could be utilized without breaking the bank.

TIA!
Ontario is BIG... and Family Day Weekend kind of short
so knowing your starting point would be useful
(Really should update your RFD Profile, to cut down on back & forth for these types of Questions where location in Canada is relative)

Until then...

Very interested in your 1000 Islands adventure
Curious as to what arrangements you’ll be making to get out to the Parks Canada Islands ?

EDIT / ADD - Could have swore this said Family Day originally
And are you looking for camping / outdoor adventures
Or a city based getaway

If you like to hike, camp etc... there certainly are lots of great Parks Canada & Ontario Parks to choose from
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 11th, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7730 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
Canada day the weather will be warm or even hot. For kids 3 and 6, take them to any place with water (can be park) and sand (can be park, or beach), they'll be happy building sand castles and play with water. Don't have to go far. Kids at this age won't care about the difference whether it's 5 minutes from home, or 3-5 hours drive. Well, they won't like the 3-5 hr drive.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
760 posts
31 upvotes
GTA, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:27 pm
Ontario is BIG... and Family Day Weekend kind of short
so knowing your starting point would be useful
(Really should update your RFD Profile, to cut down on back & forth for these types of Questions where location in Canada is relative)

Until then...

Very interested in your 1000 Islands adventure
Curious as to what arrangements you’ll be making to get out to the Parks Canada Islands ?

EDIT / ADD - Could have swore this said Family Day originally
And are you looking for camping / outdoor adventures
Or a city based getaway

If you like to hike, camp etc... there certainly are lots of great Parks Canada & Ontario Parks to choose from
I'm in the GTA. I'll be driving to Thousand Islands and this otentik is vehicle accessible, which I'm happy about.

For Canada Day weekend, a friend mentioned Mont Tremblant. It sounds tempting and hopefully get an Airbnb to avoid breaking the bank (3 nights).
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
760 posts
31 upvotes
GTA, ON
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 4:50 pm
Canada day the weather will be warm or even hot. For kids 3 and 6, take them to any place with water (can be park) and sand (can be park, or beach), they'll be happy building sand castles and play with water. Don't have to go far. Kids at this age won't care about the difference whether it's 5 minutes from home, or 3-5 hours drive. Well, they won't like the 3-5 hr drive.
Agreed; kids are happy anywhere. I like planning short trips for summer, just to keep things interesting.

As a working parent, I feel breaks are good.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7407 posts
4842 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Shop-a-holic wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:34 pm
I'm in the GTA. I'll be driving to Thousand Islands and this otentik is vehicle accessible, which I'm happy about.

For Canada Day weekend, a friend mentioned Mont Tremblant. It sounds tempting and hopefully get an Airbnb to avoid breaking the bank (3 nights).
Tremblant is nice year round.

It’s still mighty buggy though early July.

For the Summer...
We much prefer late July & August there.

And it’s AWESOME for Labour Day or Thanksgiving.
Jul 5, 2004
23448 posts
2987 upvotes
Don't really know what you're looking for, but kids tend to love water. There's a great water park and campground in Bowmanville. You could go there for the weekend.
Aug 20, 2017
55 posts
15 upvotes
beaches are the best way to celebrate. We went to Sandbanks last year and year before to Wasauga. Its a bit of drive ( 2 hours ) but lot of fun.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
Just once, Canada Day on Parliament Hill is worth the visit. It is always lots of fun and lots of things for the kids to do. (exception was the pouring rain a few years ago). Lots of free things including museums and busses etc.
Book hotels early. For your family I suggest Cartier Place on Elgin, right downtown. https://www.suitedreams.com/
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous