• Jul 19th, 2017 2:21 pm
Tags:
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1367 posts
3068 upvotes

Not exactly subtle, is it? ;)

I've always liked the idea of Far Cry games, but just couldn't get into them.
"They're waiting for you Gordon...in the Test Chamber."
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting premises. But like Youff1, I liked the idea of previous Far Cry games but I couldn't get into them.

I think this game would have made more sense as a Holiday 2017 release, especially with RDR2 delayed till next Spring. I guess Assassin's Creed Empire will be Ubisoft's big game for the holidays.

I'm a little bit tired of seeing expensive season passes, Deluxe/Gold Editions...but hey looks like that business model is still working for publishers.

Ubisoft gets a lot of flack on internet forums. But they are clearly doing something right. For Honor and Ghost Recon: Wildlands are the two best selling games of this year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
This looks cool. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4 quite a bit, probably passing on Primal but this looks different enough and the release is far off enough that I'll probably be interested in a new Far Cry by 2018.

I have to say though it's kind of disappointing to see that they're still clearly leaning on the same tech and aesthetics Far Cry 3 made popular 5 years ago but on the other hand it looks good and I guess this means I'll have no trouble running this maxed out at 1080p/60fps on my 5 year old build.
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 26th, 2017 10:44 am
I'm a little bit tired of seeing expensive season passes, Deluxe/Gold Editions...but hey looks like that business model is still working for publishers.
Same here but at least with Ubisoft their games plummet in value fairly quickly and are 50% off within months of release. I haven't spent more than $20 on a Ubisoft title in 4-5 years now
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5939 posts
776 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't know, I'm pretty burned out on the Far Cry formula. Hunt stuff to craft things, watch loot animation x10000, do the same 5 activities until your eyes bleed and the story will overstay its welcome by about 10 hours. It was fun at first but they've made it feel so generic and repetitive. The minimap icon bombs are getting pretty daunting too. Zelda was a great open world palette cleanser, I hope Ubisoft was paying attention there. Don't do the silly zooms on the tower, just let me see and mark things I want to explore. Make the world interesting instead of repetitive and trust the player to find their own stuff to do. If your map needs a half screen legend or you've put so many icons on the minimap that it looks like hieroglyphs then you really need to rethink development priorities. Graphically it looks good but most Ubisoft games do and then they dial down the graphics later for release. The whole "cut off from civilization, fan the flames of resistance" sounds like the same old "liberate these outposts" crap I'm bored of.

So yeah, cranky old man here who definitely needs to see hands on gameplay before plunking down money for this. I'm more interested in seeing how they're going to creatively reboot Assassin's Creed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
May 26th, 2017 11:25 am
The whole "cut off from civilization, fan the flames of resistance" sounds like the same old "liberate these outposts" crap I'm bored of.
Lol this is almost certainly going to be more of that exact same Far Cry 3-4 formula in a new setting. There can't be enough time or resources for Ubisoft Montreal to accomplish anything unique or refreshing with how many other games that studio has had on their plate
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4793 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
I actually think the theme they are going for here is really interesting but Far Cry 4 did absolutely nothing for me.

I will echo Redmasks thoughts on Far Cry 4. Boring, repetitive, with an uninteresting open world that felt like nothing more then a series of checkpoints. They will have to seriously shakeup the gameplay formula and loop for me to even consider playing this one even at a bargain price.

Personally I think Im just burnt out on Ubisoft games as a whole as they all sort of follow the same formula which was one that I haven't found terribly interesting or enjoyable from day one and they more often then not feel like a chore to achieve a number of tasks throughout these games..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 26th, 2017 12:01 pm
I actually think the theme they are going for here is really interesting but Far Cry 4 did absolutely nothing for me.

I will echo Redmasks thoughts on Far Cry 4. Boring, repetitive, with an uninteresting open world that felt like nothing more then a series of checkpoints. They will have to seriously shakeup the gameplay formula and loop for me to even consider playing this one even at a bargain price.
Did you find Far Cry 3 boring and repetitive too? To me they were pretty much the exact same games. I bought FC4 for $10 in late 2015 and got a good 10-15 hours out of it. Sure did have a lot of filler content but I just skipped most of that and found the main story missions about as enjoyable as FC3
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2490 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
I find it satisfying going around capturing control posts under full silence.

I remember in Far Cry 3 I spent 4 hours trying to unlock the 50 Cal, and found a random guard with it equipped. So I ended up unlocking it before it became the norm on the second island.

Far Cry 4 had its moments, but it was just Far Cry 3, polished. Which is what folks wanted after the Primal reveal.

Looking forward to the Montana setting.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 26th, 2017 2:32 pm
Steam page is up with some new nice looking screenshots
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552520/Far_Cry_5/

Imagine paying $80 for this never mind $120 lmao. Can't believe there are people who actually spend that much on Ubisoft games
It's usually the folks that buy two or three games a year. They don't pre-order and just go straight to the retailer during release week.

I would assume people on this forum buy at least 10 AAA games a year. Hence we look for the best deals lol
Jun 16, 2009
325 posts
302 upvotes
I have to admit while reading through some of the griping I forgot it was a FC thread and not and AC one...
Ubisoft is definitely too repetitive in their formulas. A few graphical tweaks and different story setting but still the same games. At least the prices drop quickly enough.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 27th, 2017 12:55 pm
It's usually the folks that buy two or three games a year. They don't pre-order and just go straight to the retailer during release week.

I would assume people on this forum buy at least 10 AAA games a year. Hence we look for the best deals lol
Ya that's true I guess. I think I've been buying maybe 5 in recent years but $50 is my max for a day one releases with exception to a couple Nintendo releases which just never go on sale anyways. $80-120 is crazy and almost no game is worth that much imo, i'd rather spend that kind of money on a nice dinner
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7203 posts
237 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 27th, 2017 4:31 pm
Ya that's true I guess. I think I've been buying maybe 5 in recent years but $50 is my max for a day one releases with exception to a couple Nintendo releases which just never go on sale anyways. $80-120 is crazy and almost no game is worth that much imo, i'd rather spend that kind of money on a nice dinner
Its not really about the "worth". Thats subjective.

I havent played a game thats worth $80 in a past few years(except for Witcher, GTA 5 and Fallout 4) but thats only my opinion. It has nothing to do with affordability.

Some people buy games at this price because they can afford it. Some are wealthier than others. They can buy Far Cry 5 and dinner at the same time.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 27th, 2017 4:31 pm
Yeah, I don't remember the last time I payed full retail price for a game (excluding EB trade-ins promos). Might be during the mid-Xbox 360/PS3 cycle. Even Nintendo games go on sale if you wait long enough (Black Friday, Nintendo selects, retail clearance).

While the $/hr gaming value is cheaper that most forms of entertainment, I find other forms of entertainment (such as going out and doing stuff) more fulfilling. Gaming is "healthy" when its one of several hobbies.