Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
May 27th, 2017 10:20 pm
Some people buy games at this price because they can afford it. Some are wealthier than others. They can buy Far Cry 5 and dinner at the same time.
Whether people can afford it or not isn't the issue, it's that spending that kind of money on the uninspired monotonous junk Ubisoft typically churns out is to no ones benefit. The dining equivalent would be like walking into McDonalds and paying $50 for a Big Mac combo. You could probably afford it, but should you? lol
If people had a little restraint and thought about what they're paying $80 for maybe we'd finally get some actually GOOD games from Ubisoft instead of the forgettable manufactured garbage they put out year after year. But I get it, some people actually think these games are "good" enough to reward Ubisoft with $80 so whatever, it is what is is, I just don't relate and know this company can do better if they had a reason to.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 28th, 2017 2:04 pm
Whether people can afford it or not isn't the issue, it's that spending that kind of money on the uninspired monotonous junk Ubisoft typically churns out is to no ones benefit. The dining equivalent would be like walking into McDonalds and paying $50 for a Big Mac combo. You could probably afford it, but should you? lol
Again, that is a personal opinion. It has nothing to do with affordability.

Just Dance, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Far Cry, Watch Dogs. That isnt a "big mac combo". They were all pretty good. The playstation 2 ghost recon was one of the best military/shooter games I have ever played. Im sure some of the people here played those games. COD and BF actually jacked alot of their stuff in their campaign mode.

If its too expensive for people, they shouldnt be blaming Ubisoft. Its actually EA and Activision. More like EA, they were the ones that started this price gouging. I love my Madden but goddamn they are so greedy.

Far Cry obviously have a strong following. Its their 5th installment.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5858 posts
1229 upvotes
I get more entertainment and value out of a $80 - 100+ game than $100+ at a decent restaurant.
Most of the time I could cook something that tastes better at home than what a restaurant offers and it is only one meal out of the day.

Things like live sports and live music concert tickets are around $80-500+ per ticket, per game and many people frequently go to those events.
ReeGee wrote:
May 27th, 2017 4:31 pm
Ya that's true I guess. I think I've been buying maybe 5 in recent years but $50 is my max for a day one releases with exception to a couple Nintendo releases which just never go on sale anyways. $80-120 is crazy and almost no game is worth that much imo, i'd rather spend that kind of money on a nice dinner
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
May 28th, 2017 4:29 pm
Just Dance, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Far Cry, Watch Dogs. That isnt a "big mac combo". They were all pretty good. The playstation 2 ghost recon was one of the best military/shooter games I have ever played.
why settle for "pretty good" and reward that though? You've been playing Ubisoft games since Playstation 2 but don't notice the significant decline in effort and quality in their games in the past 4-5 years, especially in franchises like Ghost Recon and Far Cry? Maybe you don't notice it but to me it's obvious and I don't see the point in rewarding or celebrating putting in a bare minimum effort. I do enjoy these games for what they are, just like I can enjoy fast food for what it is, I just don't see the point of eagerly paying a premium for the type of experience Ubisoft provides in recent years

I'm not blaming Ubisoft or any company btw, I'm blaming gamers for not holding these companies to a higher standard

XFactor11 wrote:
May 28th, 2017 9:02 pm
I get more entertainment and value out of a $80 - 100+ game than $100+ at a decent restaurant.
Most of the time I could cook something that tastes better at home than what a restaurant offers and it is only one meal out of the day.

Things like live sports and live music concert tickets are around $80-500+ per ticket, per game and many people frequently go to those events.
Going out and experiencing things in real life with other people is far more entertaining and valuable for me personally than sitting at home by myself playing video games. Stuff like dining out, concerts, museums, galleries, tourist attractions, traveling etc are way more important to me. Thankfully I'm able to enjoy both, but I'd choose any of those things over gaming if I had to
Jan 29, 2013
610 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 11:42 am
I just don't see the point of eagerly paying a premium for the type of experience Ubisoft provides in recent years
You're not paying a premium at $80. You're paying 'regular price'. Paying a premium would imply paying more than a regular price.

Anyhow, I'm so tired of every time there is a thread about an Ubisoft game it being derailed by these messages. We get it, it's not worth regular price for you, and that's perfectly ok. Obviously for other folks, the enjoyment they get out of the game will be sufficient to pay regular price. It just seems like some folks continually reiterate the same opinion, I guess in the hopes of getting others to abide by that viewpoint.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what they do with the game, the storyline premise sounds interesting. I hope they further flush out some of the systems they've introduced in recent history. For example, I really enjoyed what Far Cry Primal did with building your own town/base, I hope that sort of thing will be in FC5, and hopefully flushed out even more.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote:
May 29th, 2017 1:25 pm
You're not paying a premium at $80. You're paying 'regular price'. Paying a premium would imply paying more than a regular price.
Regular price is just an arbitrary number set by the people who have a vested interest in the product they're trying to sell you. I'm calling it a premium in the sense that Ubisoft would have people believe their rushed 1-2 year dev cycle games should cost the same or more than high quality work from developers who put in exponentially more time and effort. The fact that millions of people accept that doesn't make it any less weird to me
qualdoth wrote:
May 29th, 2017 1:25 pm
It just seems like some folks continually reiterate the same opinion, I guess in the hopes of getting others to abide by that viewpoint.
I'm critical because I'd genuinely love for Ubisoft to finally show off something fresh that I can get excited for rather than the predictable tower climbing, outpost clearing filler fest this is almost certainly going to be. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt it at this point. I guess we'll see in the next 6-8 months.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
This argument is like clockwork around these parts. Its amazing how the same argument gets practically recycled every month but I guess thats par for the course to discuss value in videogames on a subforum of a forum dedicating to getting the most value out of your purchases.

Somebody mentions the price of game + season pass, then someone compares that to something that isnt a game (like dinner or a concert) and people go around in circles defending what their idea of value is etc...

This whole argument is a lot easier to understand (and completely bypass) when you realize that everyone is correct here because each individual has different levels of expendable income, different gaming habits & hobbies and values things totally differently. I even know some individuals who refuse to spend money on a holiday because for them it offers no tangible value, theyd rather put that money towards a nice TV or a Car or something, who am I to tell them they are right or wrong?

Bringing this back to videogames, every gamer is totally different with entirely different spending and playing habits.

Just thought Id get my two cents in before you guys fill several more pages debating whether eating out is a better value proposition then Far Cry 4. =P
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 29th, 2017 3:10 pm
Just thought Id get my two cents in before you guys fill several more pages debating whether eating out is a better value proposition then Far Cry 4. =P
I mean you were one of the first people on page 1 to express your disappointment with Far Cry 4 and Ubisoft games on a whole. I didn't bring up the price to argue with people about value as much as to highlight why this company repeatedly releases games that you and other people find disappointing
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5858 posts
1229 upvotes
You may not agree with it but even Ubisoft's crappy Ghost Recon Wildlands is the best selling game of 2017 thus far.
However, Wildlands is multiplatform, and has online multiplayer modes that most of the critically acclaimed best games of 2017 do not have.

Resident Evil 7 was announced to have sold 3.5+ million copies worldwide which places Ghost Recon Wildlands' sales in at least
the 4 to 5 Million plus range for the number of units sold worldwide from March 7th until now.

The #1 selling game worldwide of 2017 is Wildlands and even Ubisoft's lackluster For Honor is the #2 best selling game of 2017 overall.

source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 954&page=1
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/05/19/u ... les-so-far
- Ghost Recon is the best selling game in 2017 so far, with For Honor being #2.
- Approximately 40% of sales were digital for both games.
- 73% of people played Ghost Recon in co-op, which is a record for Ubisoft.
- "Recurring investment" (season passes, DLC, microtransactions) are above expectations on the games as well.
- For Honor's first two months is going better than Rainbow Six's first two months.
- For the curious, Resident Evil 7 sold at least 3.5 million, so both these games are above that. You could pretty safely guess 4-5+ million units.

Ghost Recon Wildlands only has a 69 and 70 out of 100 metacritic average:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tom-c ... -wildlands
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... -wildlands

With below average reviews, and pretty much nobody is talking about Ghost Recon Wildlands or For Honor but I guess the mass market of game enthusiasts bought it
for the online multiplayer co-op and player vs player experience.
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:06 pm
I mean you were one of the first people on page 1 to express your disappointment with Far Cry 4 and Ubisoft games on a whole. I didn't bring up the price to argue with people about value as much as to highlight why this company repeatedly releases games that you and other people find disappointing
As for Far Cry 5, it does have some Resident Evil 4 vibes with the town overrun by a cult which makes it seem more interesting than Far Cry 3 & 4 to me.
I might give it a shot if reviews are good. I did not like Far Cry 4. Far Cry 3 was decent but overrated.

Last edited by XFactor11 on May 29th, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:06 pm
I guess thats my point, I might think its trash but there is a large number of people who enjoy these and I guess dont see a big deal in paying 80-100$ to play these type of games. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 11:42 am
why settle for "pretty good" and reward that though? You've been playing Ubisoft games since Playstation 2 but don't notice the significant decline in effort and quality in their games in the past 4-5 years, especially in franchises like Ghost Recon and Far Cry? Maybe you don't notice it but to me it's obvious and I don't see the point in rewarding or celebrating putting in a bare minimum effort. I do enjoy these games for what they are, just like I can enjoy fast food for what it is, I just don't see the point of eagerly paying a premium for the type of experience Ubisoft provides in recent years
How is this premium?. This is the regular price of games now.
I'm not blaming Ubisoft or any company btw, I'm blaming gamers for not holding these companies to a higher standard
What is this standard anyways?. Not every game will be GOTY. Quality of games will range from crap to great. Thats how its always been. The only difference now is the price gouging.

Like I said, if a person is too broke to buy $80 games. Dont buy it. Wait, until its on sale. Dont blame people for buying games. EA and Activision are the greediest out of all of them. They are the problem here, not gamers.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Jun 16, 2009
319 posts
299 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 2:46 pm
Regular price is just an arbitrary number set by the people who have a vested interest in the product they're trying to sell you. I'm calling it a premium in the sense that Ubisoft would have people believe their rushed 1-2 year dev cycle games should cost the same or more than high quality work from developers who put in exponentially more time and effort. The fact that millions of people accept that doesn't make it any less weird to me
I'm not able to recall a recent game that took more than a typical 2-year cycle to release, barring a complete overhaul of something (graphics engine, storyline, console). I'm not disagreeing with you, it just seems a majority of games run on this cycle. Anything longer and the public loses interest or the developer closes shop unless the publisher is very rich and supportive.
And unfortunately that arbitrary price is the real price once agreed upon by the people setting the arbitrary price. To me, premium price is being paid by the gamers getting the Deluxe, Collectors, All Season Pass editions. I wish we'd all collectively agree to stop falling for that scam. How many statuettes and music CDs do we really need?
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Jan 29, 2013
610 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:53 pm
I guess thats my point, I might think its trash but there is a large number of people who enjoy these and I guess dont see a big deal in paying 80-100$ to play these type of games. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thank you for reinforcing that point, it may not be your thing but it's ok for other people to like it. This is the thing that kind of bugs me about these threads. We sometimes see these judgemental opinions regarding people liking certain games. I for one happened to overall enjoy FC4 and FC: Primal. Were they fantastic games to me? Absolutely not, in my own judgement, I would probably give them about a 7. But you know what, they were more than sufficiently enjoyable for me to buy both of them (FC4 close to retail, FC: Primal during a PSN sale a few months after release).
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
I think I'm ready to jump back into a Far Cry game... I absolutely loved FC3, didn't finish FC4 (unless you count the bogus joke 'ending' at the very start of the game) , and completely skipped on Primal. While it'll likely be more of the same tower-scaling, base-takeover, hunting and crafting open world game, the premise seems new and fresh this time around. I wish they'd give us some more varied areas though... I'm sure they'll have Waco-style compounds, but Instead of temples, I hope they give us shopping mall settings. And instead of regular base camps, maybe some of them can be convenience store plazas, car washes, gas stations, etc... We'll see.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE