• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 12:21 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
930 posts
601 upvotes
Pickering

Farm Boy Grocery Store

Farm Boy opened up today at the Pickering Town Centre and I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the store, what if offers and can share thoughts/opinions about quality, selection, prices etc.

Here is what they say is on offer for the new Pickering store, which I assume is similar to their other locations:
What’s in store for shoppers at Pickering’s new Farm Boy?

Abundant, high quality fresh produce; with organic and local in season.
Hundreds of Ontario-made products including organic, natural and gluten free items.
A 52 foot wholesome and healthy fresh salad and hot bar, with fresh sushi and pizza made to order.
Farm Boy beef, cut from Canada AAA beef, deeply marbled and aged a minimum of 14 days.
Over 300 local farmstead, artisan, international and Canadian award-winning cheeses.
Field Gate, hormone free, fresh organic beef, pork and chicken and eco-friendly, sustainable fresh seafood.
Fresh Oven Roasts cut to order made with premium meats, slowly roasted in the Farm Boy Kitchen without nitrates or preservatives.
500 fresh Ontario dairy products including Ontario organic milk delivered fresh.
Over 15 varieties of fresh soups, all made from scratch and served hot or ready to take home.
A bright, relaxing in-store eating area with free Wi-Fi.
Lulu the Cow, in stores greeting children every Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.
120 replies
Jun 18, 2013
141 posts
103 upvotes
Brampton
Growing up in Ottawa, I used to see them around a lot. I feel like they are Whole Foods, minus the high pricetag and emphasis on locally-sourced produce and products. My friend's parents made their house-label pasta sauce, salsa, and mustard back in the day.
Aug 4, 2012
283 posts
175 upvotes
Cambridge
Decent quality for sure, selection of fresh stuff is seasonal (which is good IMO, you can eat any fruit year-round if you want but eating seasonal helps me change up my diet). Definitely not a budget grocery though, but cheaper than Whole Foods IMO.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1312 posts
371 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ThermKitty wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 3:07 pm
Decent quality for sure, selection of fresh stuff is seasonal (which is good IMO, you can eat any fruit year-round if you want but eating seasonal helps me change up my diet). Definitely not a budget grocery though, but cheaper than Whole Foods IMO.
Yea I would say they are inbetween a Loblaws and Whole Foods.

Good quality, slightly above average price. They have the best pre-made foods around IMO tho
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14651 posts
2729 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like, for now, the only real plan (for Toronto) is to open in Etobicoke over on Brown's line road, replacing Asian grocery store Top food Mart.
Slowly expanding one store at a time maybe??
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2925 posts
734 upvotes
Mississauga
I wish they would open up in Mississauga. The quality and pricing of very good there for all meats and produce.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33446 posts
7501 upvotes
Ottawa
We shop at Farm Boy regularly. They have a great selection of produce and a very good butcher shop. The meats are fresh and cut to your requirements right at the counter, not pre cut and packaged at a warehouse somewhere in the GTA. They also have a pre made meal section with a variety of foods. A good bakery too.
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
Mar 24, 2015
870 posts
279 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What everyone else said, great quality food especially the pre-made meals. I love the butter chicken and the soups. I shop there almost every week for produce and meats.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
930 posts
601 upvotes
Pickering
When I started this thread I never even heard of them before and only became curious as they were opening up in my neighbourhood.

A year later and I can say this is a great store that we shop at quite often. Their pricing is pretty competitive. Obviously not the cheapest out there but they offer excellent quality and I feel like we get good value for the $.

Their meats/butcher section is great, we buy the majority of our meats/fish there now. The prepared food selection has a lot of variety and not the regular run of the mill stuff that you find at most stores. My daughter loves the fresh made pizzas. They also offer a wide selection of cheeses which my wife loves buying.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
when does the one near sherway open up?
Opening March 1st

"The new store will kick off with an official ribbon cutting ceremony at 7:45 a.m. on March 1. Doors open at 8 a.m. The first 50 shoppers in line will receive a $20 Farm Boy™ Gift Card."

Press Release: http://www.farmboy.ca/farm-boy-etobicok ... g-march-1/
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16890 posts
4563 upvotes
Toronto
Went on Saturday and wasn't impressed. Store layout is quite bad. It's pretty much half grocery store and half fresh to go. The store was packed, not sure people in the area ever went to a grocery store before.