Farm Boy Grocery Store

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 5:12 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1036 posts
283 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I looked at the photos on the Blogto profile and it really didn't impress me. Just looks like a regular grocery store.
Apr 12, 2005
856 posts
99 upvotes
Dont know about the new store but Farm Boy is really great IMO.

Great merchandizing. Lots of very nice and well priced prep foods.

Diverse selection
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7282 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
Raggie wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 8:04 pm
Farm Boy is opened. Here's a copy of the flyer (real ice cream is on sale). Will check out the store tomorrow.

https://www.reebee.com/embed/flyers/102 ... ode=M8W3W2
The 'real' ice cream is full of fake stuff... Farm Boy reminds me of a very smaller Whole Foods. They have a nice hot food counter tho.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5900 posts
3097 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 8:41 pm
I looked at the photos on the Blogto profile and it really didn't impress me. Just looks like a regular grocery store.
The ones here in Ottawa are higher scale than an ordinary grocery store.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 10:43 am
The ones here in Ottawa are higher scale than an ordinary grocery store.
Looks like Farm boy is opening a second location in Toronto in 2020.
(Scroll down to bottom: "Confirmed tenants Farm Boy": https://riocan.com/development-portfoli ... ent/litho/ )
Question is, can Farm Boy compete with a Loblaws, Sobey's and an independent Fiesta farms, all *reasonable* walking distance from each other?
(Farm Boy will be smack dab in the middle between Sobey's and Loblaws while Fiesta farms is a short walk up Christie)

*note: "reasonable" is based on a starting point of Dupont & Christie.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5889 posts
1418 upvotes
Markham
Going to keep holding my breath for a Trader Joes although it may be a long time especially considering they'd have to do so much just to re-label for our English AND FRENCH packaging.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2201 posts
190 upvotes
North York
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 8:38 am
Question is, can Farm Boy compete with a Loblaws, Sobey's and an independent Fiesta farms, all *reasonable* walking distance from each other?
If you care about produce, based on the etobicoke store no contest compared with loblaws, fb is fresher/better quality for same or less $.

I haven't been in a sobeys in a long time, and don't know fiesta. They don't really compete in the canned/boxed/packaged shelf stuff though, so loblaws/sobeys will still have a market there. They really excel in the counters and prepared foods, can't say I've seen anyone else do that as well as they do.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:45 am
If you care about produce, based on the etobicoke store no contest compared with loblaws, fb is fresher/better quality for same or less $.

I haven't been in a sobeys in a long time, and don't know fiesta. They don't really compete in the canned/boxed/packaged shelf stuff though, so loblaws/sobeys will still have a market there. They really excel in the counters and prepared foods, can't say I've seen anyone else do that as well as they do.
Fiesta farms will just have to work harder to be the go to store for grocery that is hard to find (or imported) I guess.
They've always had the freedom of not having a head office tell them what they can and can not sell.
I'm not saying you'll find Skippy peanut butter there, but it sure is a good go to store for many groceries that are hard to find (here) these days.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2094 posts
1132 upvotes
cliff wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:45 am

For the cross-border shoppers, the way I describe Farm Boy is, it's a hybrid of Wegmans and Trader Joe's. Wegman's (as does FB) really excels in the counters and prepared foods, like you said, but their packaged food selection is more in line with Trader Joe's (heavy use of house labels and more upscale, obscure brands).

The one at the Pickering Town Centre is always busy. This despite the fact there's Loblaws Great Food across Liverpool to the west and Pacific Fresh Food Market (cheap Asian grocery) across Kingston to the north. Certain other posters on this board (he knows who he is) was probably predicting (if not cheering for) Farm Boy's demise based on its neighbors. Fact is it serves a much different market. One easy way is to look at the cars are parked in those lots. Want to see an "auto show" of expensive import cars and SUV's, and a "fashion show" of well dressed shoppers, hello Farm Boy.

Farm Boy isn't going anywhere. They're making money hand over fist with minimal real competition in the area - the nearest Longo's is quite far away in north Ajax (Rossland and Harwood). That's its competition, not Loblaws or cheap Asian. Unless Whole Foods decides to open here in Durham, Farm Boy is going to do just fine.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Sep 21st, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1305 posts
2810 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 8:38 am
Looks like Farm boy is opening a second location in Toronto in 2020.
There is also one planned for 1015 Lakeshore at Leslie, the plaza currently home to Canadian Tire.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
gregv wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 11:51 am
There is also one planned for 1015 Lakeshore at Leslie, the plaza currently home to Canadian Tire.
I think the intent was to add a Sportchek there, but then Canadian tire changed their mind, freeing up space for a Farm boy Lakeshore location.
Jul 6, 2008
790 posts
177 upvotes
London
Cant wait for the butternut squash soup to return!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5407 posts
2399 upvotes
gregv wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 11:51 am
Excited for that. Loblaws, Freshco, Farmboy in that intersection.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7000 posts
1468 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 12:42 pm
I think the intent was to add a Sportchek there, but then Canadian tire changed their mind, freeing up space for a Farm boy Lakeshore location.
Maybe MTY will buy them too.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 10:59 am
Maybe MTY will buy them too.
I am extremely well educated on the fact that they won't, but if you do know something I don't, thanks for the tip.