• Feb 22nd, 2019 12:21 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3330 posts
2532 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 10:59 am
Maybe MTY will buy them too.
Nah, they're looking into bigger and better things. They have sooooooo much money in the bank they're also going to buy Loblaws, Crappy Tire, and HBC so they can have a near monopoly in retail to go with their near-monopoly on bad food court filler...

(I guess if drinking the MTY kool-aid makes you "extremely well educated" my name's Albert Einstein)
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27308 upvotes
^
This may hold true in Toronto ( which only recently acquired a Farm Boy), but not for other Ontario cities.

To me this is bad news. Farm Boy was a niche store, providing quality products not obtained in other mainstream grocery stores. Over time I expect the stores will decline, close or become a clone of the Sobeys model.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
BK2006 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:52 am
Over time I expect the stores will decline, close or become a clone of the Sobeys model.
Sobey's Dupont is soon going to be demolished in favour of a condo with a Sobey's built back in on the main floor. (source: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/project ... evelopment )

The Freshco @ Dufferin & Dupont will be demolished with no word of what grocery store (if any) will replace it. (condos are soon going to replace the Galleria mall: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/07/cit ... evelopment )
This is why I suspect that instead of a Farm Boy going in now, it'll be a Freshco...but I could be wrong...only thing left to believe is that they sure won't want two Sobey's side by side so SOMETHING has to be different there now...unlike Lakeshore, where, if possible, a Sobey's can go in where Farm Boy was going to open up...unless they can maintain a solid difference between the stores.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7154 posts
1723 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:12 am
Sobey's Dupont is soon going to be demolished in favour of a condo with a Sobey's built back in on the main floor. (source: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/project ... evelopment )

The Freshco @ Dufferin & Dupont will be demolished with no word of what grocery store (if any) will replace it. (condos are soon going to replace the Galleria mall: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/07/cit ... evelopment )
This is why I suspect that instead of a Farm Boy going in now, it'll be a Freshco...but I could be wrong...only thing left to believe is that they sure won't want two Sobey's side by side so SOMETHING has to be different there now...unlike Lakeshore, where, if possible, a Sobey's can go in where Farm Boy was going to open up...unless they can maintain a solid difference between the stores.
This post is entirely speculation.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3330 posts
2532 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 10:46 am
I fully expect Sobeys to ruin Farm Boy the way Loblaws ruined T&T, Fortino's, Provigo, and all the other formerly decent chains it bought up over the years. And unlike some, I will ADMIT to this being speculation on my part and NOT lie about some "high level of education" in the retail business. I hope I'm wrong and Farm Boy continues to thrive but my confidence on that is pretty low. Reading about this was a punch to the gut.

I never shop at Sobey's as it consistently has higher prices than any of the Metro or Loblaws owned places in the vicinity. So in a way Farm Boy makes sense as an acquisition -- it's already higher priced anyway, and gives Sobey's a huge "leg up" should Whole Foods (or Longo's) decide to expand further in Ontario. It might actually make more sense to convert some Sobey's into the FB format rather than the other way around. The Sobey's in Pickering is in the same SmartCentre as Walmart, is right around the corner from a No Frills, and sits halfway between a Loblaws Great Food (Pickering) and a RCSuperstore (Ajax). Needless to say it's never busy. They might as well close that store and focus their efforts on the FB they just bought, which is always busy.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Sep 24th, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 10:46 am
FACT: Sobey's is going to be torn down-the gas station is already gone.
FACT: A condo IS going in on the land. Sobey's is expected to return to the main level of that condo.
FACT: Farm boy is confirmed to be a tenant between Sobey's and Loblaws on Dupont.
FACT: Farm boy was sold to Empire/Sobey's
FACT: If they go ahead with a Sobey's/Farm boy/Loblaws side by side, there still has to be something very different about FB vs Sobey's now that it is the same company.
FACT: Freshco @ Dufferin and Dupont is going to be torn down in favour of condos on the land with no word (yet?) as to what grocery store will resurface once the condos are built there.

Opinion: A Farm boy would do better @ Dufferin & Dupont once those condos go in as it would be away from Loblaws and not too close to Dufferin mall. (close enough, yes, but not right next door either)
Opinion: A Freshco next to Loblaws would be smart as the nearest "deep discount" store in the area for all the condos going in, since the nearest head on competitor would be Basics (in a Basics vs No frills vs Freshco scenario)
Basics is a bit of a distance away at Dupont and Lansdowne. (current head on competitor to Freshco)
No frills is over at Dufferin mall.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Sep 24th, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7154 posts
1723 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:17 pm
FACT: Sobey's is going to be torn down-the gas station is already gone.
FACT: A condo IS going in on the land. Sobey's is expected to return to the main level of that condo.
FACT: Farm boy is confirmed to be a tenant between Sobey's and Loblaws on Dupont.
FACT: Farm boy was sold to Empire/Sobey's
FACT: if they go ahead with a Sobey's/Farm boy/Loblaws side by side, there still has to be something very different about FB vs Sobey's now that it is the same company.
FACT: Freshco @ Dufferin and Dupont is going to be torn down in favour of condos on the land with no word (yet?) as to what grocery store will resurface once the condos are built there.
Nah, MTY Group is going to buy Farm Boy from Sobeys way before that condo gets finished.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3330 posts
2532 upvotes
milolai wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:34 am
FarmBoy is such a crap store.
only sustainable in the middle of no where when people have no other options.
not sure why anyone would shop in the Toronto store when Loblaws with better items (and everything else) is 400 meters away.
I call BS on that. Take a look at where Farm Boy is located here in Durham Region. The Whitby store is among a lot of big box stores and is VERY close to RCSS, Metro, Walmart Supercentre, and No Frills. As I said in another post, the Pickering store is VERY close to Loblaws Great Food, an Asian supermarket, No Frills, Walmart Supercentre, and RCSS. To you that means "unsustainable" right? Those cheaper stores should have put them out of business years ago, right?

Guess what wiseguy? Both those Farm Boys are kicking some serious ass. They are busy all the time. And one look at the customer base (the expensive cars/SUV's in the parking lots and the way the customers are dressed) makes it pretty clear that Farm Boy does have a market and it isn't the price-conscious. If Sobey's doesn't ruin a good thing, they just bought themselves a winner.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33542 posts
7539 upvotes
Ottawa
milolai wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:34 am
good

FarmBoy is such a crap store.

only sustainable in the middle of no where when people have no other options.
not sure why anyone would shop in the Toronto store when Loblaws with better items (and everything else) is 400 meters away.
We have lots of options and Farm Boy is our go to place for vegetables, fruits and meats.
Much better than the big box grocery stores for produce and for sure way better for meats. There are fewer and fewer butcher shops around so Farm Boy has filled that void.
Loblaws better? Geez, not in my area. Loblaws does not even have a butcher, just sells pre packaged meats from a main shop somewhere else or, at best, they have a cutter taking chunks off larger cuts..
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:22 pm
Nah, MTY Group is going to buy Farm Boy from Sobeys way before that condo gets finished.
MTY group is not going to invest in a grocery store, as far as I know, but the condos on Dupont will get built.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Sep 24th, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7154 posts
1723 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 3:39 pm
MTY group is not going to invest in a grocery store, as far as I know, but the condo will get built.
You don't know that until there are shovels in the ground.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 3:40 pm
You don't know that until there are shovels in the ground.
The land where Farm Boy was expected to go in already has shovels in the ground.
The land where Sobey's is currently has shovels on the land where the gas station once was.
One step at a time...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7154 posts
1723 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 3:43 pm
The land where Farm Boy was expected to go in already has shovels in the ground.
The land where Sobey's is currently has shovels on the land where the gas station once was.
One step at a time...
I'm just trolling you, yet it's funny how you always have to respond.