• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 12:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5360 posts
975 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 3:23 pm
I call BS on that. Take a look at where Farm Boy is located here in Durham Region. The Whitby store is among a lot of big box stores and is VERY close to RCSS, Metro, Walmart Supercentre, and No Frills.
sorry - you actually misunderstood me.
when i said 'middle of no where' i was actually referring to places like the Durham Region.

in Toronto Farmboy it doesn't tick any boxes. it is not cheap enough to get customers from the cheap stores. it is not at all nice enough to get the customers from the nicer stores.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 3:54 pm
I'm just trolling you, yet it's funny how you always have to respond.
You had me worried for a minute there! One minute you talk about MTY buying FB, the next second FB really IS sold...like you really DID know something... :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16899 posts
4577 upvotes
Toronto
How does Sobeys get such a huge loan? They have no money. They screwed up Safeway. Hopefully not Farm Boy.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 8:50 am
How does Sobeys get such a huge loan? They have no money. They screwed up Safeway. Hopefully not Farm Boy.
It may be a "Promise of performance" loan, granted based on the idea that they are investing in something that already makes money vs buying a company that's in the red with a promise to fix it up.
(something like that...)
Aug 12, 2012
789 posts
316 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I hope they don't mess it up with FB. I don't shop there often, but I do like their store-made items.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2520 upvotes
milolai wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:34 am
FarmBoy is such a crap store.
Might want to read this: https://business.financialpost.com/news ... -800m-deal

Copy-pasted from the article:
Farm Boy has 26 stores, sales of $500 million, and same store sales growth of 5.3 per cent — well above the industry average of 1.3 per cent. It’s known for its fresh products, pre-made food, smaller stores and private label products. Given its financial metrics and passionate customers, Medline said Farm Boy is a “jewel of an asset” worth the premium valuation of 14.1 times its estimated 2020 earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

You call that a "crap store"?
milolai wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 4:34 pm
when i said 'middle of no where' i was actually referring to places like the Durham Region.
in Toronto Farmboy it doesn't tick any boxes. it is not cheap enough to get customers from the cheap stores. it is not at all nice enough to get the customers from the nicer stores.
Farm Boy is based in Ottawa. CMA population of 1,323,783 in 2016, the nation's capital, and home to the NHL's Senators. "Middle of no where"?
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... 05&TOPIC=1

Durham Region has a population of 645,862, is next door to the City of Toronto itself, is part of the Toronto CMA, and is home to GM Canada. "Middle of no where"?
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... 18&TOPIC=1

I guess you assumed Farm Boy is like the general store in Corner Gas... LOL.

What do you define as the "nicer stores"? If you name any Loblaws banner you deserve to be laughed off the board.

I say Farm Boy hits a very happy medium, and that's the secret of its success. It's only real competition/equal in its home markets is Longo's. Farm Boy is much more upscale than anything Loblaws offers (unless you count Holt Renfrew Food Hall), and is slightly downscale from Whole Foods (is that your "nicer store"?).... no surprise you won't see Farm Boy open next door to a Whole Foods, but they sure do just fine opening next door to every Loblaws banner, every Metro banner, every Sobey's banner (pre-merger), cheap Asian supermarkets, and Walmart. Totally different market - the types of vehicles in its parking lot and the attire worn by its customers attest to that. These aren't discount shoppers, but they aren't 1%ers either (those you'll see at places like Pusateri's, McEwan, Holt Renfrew Food Hall, and of course Whole Foods)

Unless Longo's or Whole Foods expands much more aggressively Farm Boy is in good shape. That's assuming Sobey's doesn't mess it up (and that's a huge IF).

Loblaws tries to be both Wegmans and Trader Joe's and fails miserably on both counts. Farm Boy succeeded at that and that's why it's done so well. You may not be their customer, which simply means you don't matter.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5360 posts
975 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 3:59 pm
blah blah blah
not sure why you have such a vested interest or care so much.

despite having huge sales - Farmboy is stiill a turd store.

just because something has large sales doesn't corelate to them being good. (Walmart has even more sales)

To anyone who lives in Toronto ----> Pickering, Whitby, Ottawa or wherever * else Farmboy has a store currently is the middle of no where. Only people who live in these areas think they live in a big city.

I am not going to post anymore in replies to you -- you care too much about a shithole grocery store.
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 25th, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: chill
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7153 posts
1720 upvotes
I gotta agree, Farm Boy provides an environment and products that other grocery stores don't provide, and this is why their sales are growing so quickly. I actually make the trek from downtown to Etobicoke at least once a month to get things there that I can't get at other grocery stores. I'm really looking forward to the location at Leslie/Lakeshore since it will be Bike Share accessible.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 4:24 pm
I gotta agree, Farm Boy provides an environment and products that other grocery stores don't provide, and this is why their sales are growing so quickly. I actually make the trek from downtown to Etobicoke at least once a month to get things there that I can't get at other grocery stores. I'm really looking forward to the location at Leslie/Lakeshore since it will be Bike Share accessible.
Fiesta farms is also a great place to find grocery that is hard to get other places. They don't have a head office telling them what to sell and not sell.
Hopefully Empire will leave Farm boy alone and not dictate what they can now sell and not sell.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10644 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
milolai wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 4:34 pm

I agree. I heard a huge hype over it. Went into the Pickering one and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Don't think this will draw that many people away from let's say a Whole Foods. But if I'm looking for that type in the area, I'd have no other real alternative than that Farm boy (which I'm close kind of close to since I'm East Scarborough). And even then, I didn't see the different if I wanted to go to place like that. Coppa's let's say. I guess they have 'fresh' sauces at Farmboy that people love? Everything organic? Normally I'd shop at Food Basics, but I'd rather likely go to a Metro than Farmboy for certain wider selection or fresher fruit.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33469 posts
7514 upvotes
Ottawa
milolai wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 4:08 pm
not sure why you have such a vested interest or care so much.

despite having huge sales - Farmboy is stiill a turd store.

just because something has large sales doesn't corelate to them being good. (Walmart has even more sales)

To anyone who lives in Toronto ----> Pickering, Whitby, Ottawa or wherever * else Farmboy has a store currently is the middle of no where. Only people who live in these areas think they live in a big city.

I am not going to post anymore in replies to you -- you care too much about a shithole grocery store.
Wow, EastGTARedFlagger was giving you some actual facts. You really don't seem to understand that but more importantly, you really don't seem to know much.
Methinks you need to get out of your neighborhood a bit, maybe even get out of Toronto more often too. LOL
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2520 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 4:24 pm
When I go to Buffalo for cross border shopping my two favorite places for groceries are Wegmans and Trader Joe's. Always a lot of Ontario licence plates parked there. Which store in the GTA offers me a similar experience? Farm Boy.

Wegmans is consistently ranked among the best grocery chains in the USA and one of the best companies to work for in the USA, and Trader Joe's has its own positive reputation for selling very high quality house label products at a fair price. The Farm Boy people were wise to use those two chains as their inspiration. You don't walk into Farm Boy and think "This is just a Loblaws without the PC" nor do you think "This is a Whole Foods clone, what a ripoff". It's different, and BETTER.

Now it remains to be seen if Sobey's doesn't mess up a good thing. They bought themselves a cash cow, if it turns into a money pit they know who to blame.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 1:07 pm
Now it remains to be seen if Sobey's doesn't mess up a good thing. They bought themselves a cash cow, if it turns into a money pit they know who to blame.
Perhaps they should close some Sobey's and convert them to Farm boy? Run them the same way they've always been run also.
Jan 26, 2017
560 posts
557 upvotes
So is the new Farm Boy replacing the Canadian Tire store at Lakeshore Blvd? Or are they just occupying a space in that area?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 3:14 pm
So is the new Farm Boy replacing the Canadian Tire store at Lakeshore Blvd? Or are they just occupying a space in that area?
It is to my understanding that there was space for a Sportchek as well as the Canadian tire.
It's the sportchek space that is now going to be the Farm boy store.