Farm Boy Grocery Store

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 5:12 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15768 posts
3550 upvotes
Toronto
I also don't get the hype for Farm Boy. It's pretty expensive and nothing too spectacular. You can get most items at other stores like Loblaws, Metro or Sobeys.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2093 posts
1131 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 3:14 pm
Perhaps they should close some Sobey's and convert them to Farm boy? Run them the same way they've always been run also.
I made that same suggestion in this thread 2 days ago...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/farm-bo ... #p29864499

I never shop at Sobey's as it consistently has higher prices than any of the Metro or Loblaws owned places in the vicinity. So in a way Farm Boy makes sense as an acquisition -- it's already higher priced anyway, and gives Sobey's a huge "leg up" should Whole Foods (or Longo's) decide to expand further in Ontario. It might actually make more sense to convert some Sobey's into the FB format rather than the other way around. The Sobey's in Pickering is in the same SmartCentre as Walmart, is right around the corner from a No Frills, and sits halfway between a Loblaws Great Food (Pickering) and a RCSuperstore (Ajax). Needless to say it's never busy. They might as well close that store and focus their efforts on the FB they just bought, which is always busy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3757 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 3:59 pm
Might want to read this: https://business.financialpost.com/news ... -800m-deal

Copy-pasted from the article:
Farm Boy has 26 stores, sales of $500 million, and same store sales growth of 5.3 per cent — well above the industry average of 1.3 per cent. It’s known for its fresh products, pre-made food, smaller stores and private label products. Given its financial metrics and passionate customers, Medline said Farm Boy is a “jewel of an asset” worth the premium valuation of 14.1 times its estimated 2020 earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

You call that a "crap store"?

Farm Boy is based in Ottawa. CMA population of 1,323,783 in 2016, the nation's capital, and home to the NHL's Senators. "Middle of no where"?
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... 05&TOPIC=1

Durham Region has a population of 645,862, is next door to the City of Toronto itself, is part of the Toronto CMA, and is home to GM Canada. "Middle of no where"?
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... 18&TOPIC=1

I guess you assumed Farm Boy is like the general store in Corner Gas... LOL.

What do you define as the "nicer stores"? If you name any Loblaws banner you deserve to be laughed off the board.

I say Farm Boy hits a very happy medium, and that's the secret of its success. It's only real competition/equal in its home markets is Longo's. Farm Boy is much more upscale than anything Loblaws offers (unless you count Holt Renfrew Food Hall), and is slightly downscale from Whole Foods (is that your "nicer store"?).... no surprise you won't see Farm Boy open next door to a Whole Foods, but they sure do just fine opening next door to every Loblaws banner, every Metro banner, every Sobey's banner (pre-merger), cheap Asian supermarkets, and Walmart. Totally different market - the types of vehicles in its parking lot and the attire worn by its customers attest to that. These aren't discount shoppers, but they aren't 1%ers either (those you'll see at places like Pusateri's, McEwan, Holt Renfrew Food Hall, and of course Whole Foods)

Unless Longo's or Whole Foods expands much more aggressively Farm Boy is in good shape. That's assuming Sobey's doesn't mess it up (and that's a huge IF).

Loblaws tries to be both Wegmans and Trader Joe's and fails miserably on both counts. Farm Boy succeeded at that and that's why it's done so well. You may not be their customer, which simply means you don't matter.
Perhaps the company might do better if MTY group does one of their legendary acquisitions and turn the entire 'Farm Boy' company around. That way they can meet Milolai's expectations!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7000 posts
1464 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 7:45 pm
Fiesta farms is also a great place to find grocery that is hard to get other places. They don't have a head office telling them what to sell and not sell.
Hopefully Empire will leave Farm boy alone and not dictate what they can now sell and not sell.
Fiesta Farms is great but feels like a dumpy grocery store. That's why I mentioned environment as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13592 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:44 pm
Perhaps the company might do better if MTY group does one of their legendary acquisitions and turn the entire 'Farm Boy' company around. That way they can meet Milolai's expectations!!!
MTY group is not interested in the grocery business. The closest thing might be a takeover of the food court @ Nations grocery...(Keele & St. Clair) but I highly doubt they'll even do that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7000 posts
1464 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:44 pm
Yessss, I already predicted that this will happen before that condo at Dupont/Ossington goes up!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
this takeover sucks. in London we have sunripe which is a billion dollars for grapes, or farmboy which is a bit pricier than a grocery store but fantastic grapes (just an example).

I hope the farmboy people start something new again.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13592 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 9:38 pm
Yessss, I already predicted that this will happen before that condo at Dupont/Ossington goes up!
WHERE??? There will be a condo going in at Dupont and Shaw...I'm not aware of a condo going in at Dupont and Osssington...there's also a condo going in @ Dupont & Dufferin.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7000 posts
1464 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 10:34 pm
WHERE??? There will be a condo going in at Dupont and Shaw...I'm not aware of a condo going in at Dupont and Osssington...there's also a condo going in @ Dupont & Dufferin.
The condo basically hits Ossington. I used Ossington rather than Shaw as it's a more identifiable street. Anyway, this has nothing to do with Farm Boy so I'm done.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13592 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 10:50 pm
The condo basically hits Ossington. I used Ossington rather than Shaw as it's a more identifiable street. Anyway, this has nothing to do with Farm Boy so I'm done.
Dupont & Shaw is where the Sobey's is, the Farm boy is going in down the street next to Loblaws unless something changes.
The building @ Dupont and Ossington still has a for lease sign on it. If not, it's still a separate project.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7000 posts
1464 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 11:33 pm
Dupont & Shaw is where the Sobey's is, the Farm boy is going in down the street next to Loblaws unless something changes.
The building @ Dupont and Ossington still has a for lease sign on it. If not, it's still a separate project.
I don't know why you keep responding with irrelevant/repeated information.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13592 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 11:46 pm
I don't know why you keep responding with irrelevant/repeated information.
You're not done? WOW! It's not irrelevant. It is FACT. There is a building @ Dupont & Ossington . It has nothing to do with the future development @ Dupont & Shaw.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2093 posts
1131 upvotes
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 9:47 pm
I hope the farmboy people start something new again,
Probably can't due to some non-compete clause as part of the deal. Optimally Sobey's leaves them alone to run that division. Farm Boy is already a winner, leave them alone and that's a cash cow. Meddle with it, ruin it, and turn it into a money pit.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
hopefully leave it alone is the case.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3798 posts
5530 upvotes
Ontario
Farmboy carries some product brands I don't know of but sound interesting. Aside from the maple leaves cookies (with maple syrup), past flyers have shown Veggie Grown burgers and Tradition (made in Quebec) juice products. The hot food buffet is popular in Hamilton.
2019-roll out the gold carpet!