Tags:
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto

fat men

I notice that there are alot of old men in my condo have pot belly. The men don't really care about fitness.

they are perfect candidate for heart attack soon. I try to exercise to stay fit and avoid heart attack.
52 replies
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
Too many carbs and too much sugar in their diets.

I think everyone who has even the beginnings of a weight problem should be referred to diabetes education courses by their doctor.

Not because they have diabetes (even though they're far more susceptible to such). But rather, because they actually teach you to monitor your carb intake and to view all foods, not just the obvious sugar-laden foods, as carbs.

Even though I'm fit as a whistle and can cycle 100km a day, I went with a relative and learned a lot.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 1:55 pm
Too many carbs and too much sugar in their diets.

I think everyone who has even the beginnings of a weight problem should be referred to diabetes education courses by their doctor.

Not because they have diabetes (even though they're far more susceptible to such). But rather, because they actually teach you to monitor your carb intake and to view all foods, not just the obvious sugar-laden foods, as carbs.

Even though I'm fit as a whistle and can cycle 100km a day, I went with a relative and learned a lot.
Carbs and sugar aren't to blame for obesity, excess calories are.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:16 am
I notice that there are alot of old men in my condo have pot belly. The men don't really care about fitness.

they are perfect candidate for heart attack soon. I try to exercise to stay fit and avoid heart attack.
Ok?
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 3:28 pm
Carbs and sugar aren't to blame for obesity, excess calories are.
And where do you think excess calories come from? :lol:

Also, carbs and sugar tend to induce insulin response, which, in many people, actually induces more hunger. Changing to a low-carb, high fat diet can result in overall less calories consumed, even though fat certainly has more calories than sugar and carbs on a per weight basis.

Unfortunately, with the diet fads of the past 30-40 years, people have associated "fat" with being fat. Many of the foods at the grocery store that are marketed as "low-fat" are actually high-carb, and consuming them in any significant quantities, as mis-guided obese people may in an effort to lose weight, often causes the reverse effect.

Seriously, being educated about proper eating habits in the context of diabetes education is very useful. Even if, like me, you're not diabetic or anywhere near it.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
men mostly don't care about health. I often see guys eat tons of food then go straight to be. Those calories add up fast and accumulate as fatty acids in blood vessels along the heart.

The guys look like a 6 months pregnant woman. After my father passed away due to heart attack, I always watch my calories, and exercise diligently. my choleterol level, and fatty acids are at 3.5mg/ml of blood.
the death zone is 5mg/ml of fatty acid. people who have this level of cholesterol will have heart attack.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 4:09 pm
And where do you think excess calories come from? :lol:

Also, carbs and sugar tend to induce insulin response, which, in many people, actually induces more hunger. Changing to a low-carb, high fat diet can result in overall less calories consumed, even though fat certainly has more calories than sugar and carbs on a per weight basis.

Unfortunately, with the diet fads of the past 30-40 years, people have associated "fat" with being fat. Many of the foods at the grocery store that are marketed as "low-fat" are actually high-carb, and consuming them in any significant quantities, as mis-guided obese people may in an effort to lose weight, often causes the reverse effect.

Seriously, being educated about proper eating habits in the context of diabetes education is very useful. Even if, like me, you're not diabetic or anywhere near it.
The excess calories come from all food eaten, of course. If someone eats 3600kcal and 1200 of that are fats, 1200 are protein and 1200 are carbs, no specific macro is responsible for the excess.

Seriously, insulin is not the cause of obesity. Exes calories are.

If I ate a 1800 kcal diet (as an adult) of just fruits and veggies, are you saying I'd get fat because most of my intake is coming from carbs, with trace amounts of protein and fat? Obviously not.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 4:32 pm
men mostly don't care about health. I often see guys eat tons of food then go straight to be. Those calories add up fast and accumulate as fatty acids in blood vessels along the heart.

The guys look like a 6 months pregnant woman. After my father passed away due to heart attack, I always watch my calories, and exercise diligently. my choleterol level, and fatty acids are at 3.5mg/ml of blood.
the death zone is 5mg/ml of fatty acid. people who have this level of cholesterol will have heart attack.
Which men don't care about health? You're saying an entire sex across the globe doesn't care about health? Lol.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I only know the guys in GTA, and Ontario. All of my father friends either died of lung cancer, liver cancer, brain cancer and heart attack.
No one died of prostate cancer or skin cancer. The women died of same causes too.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I just want to discuss about health issue that is most common to me.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
one of my uncle doesn't have cancer or heart disease since he is very fit guy and still alive. He was special forces commander. He has gone deaf due to damaged ear drums. He was exposed extremely loud noise in battlefield.
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 6:09 pm
The excess calories come from all food eaten, of course. If someone eats 3600kcal and 1200 of that are fats, 1200 are protein and 1200 are carbs, no specific macro is responsible for the excess.

Seriously, insulin is not the cause of obesity. Exes calories are.
I think you're missing the point. Let's say you wake up, and you're hungry. You have 2 choices: bacon and eggs. Or a block of sugar (pure carbs).

Both can provide you with the same number of calories if you look up the relevant quantities and match accordingly.

However, the bacon and eggs, for example, will probably not trigger much of an insulin response and will provide blood sugar for the next 5 hours. The block of sugar (ie: pure carbs) will provide energy for maybe an hour or two, and then you'll be hungry again.

The person who eats lots of carbs will find they're on a sort of "yo-yo", needing more carbs to deal with the 'crash' of having eaten carbs previously.

So ultimately, they'll go on to consume more calories, and become fatter.

The person who eats the higher fat breakfast (ie: bacon and eggs, for example), won't need another meal until the mid-afternoon. And probably won't eat as much.

So ironically, eating a low-carb, higher fat diet actually results in less overall caloric intake, and hence provides for better weight control.

The problem with the western "diet" is that it is heavy with carbs, so people eat, and eat, and eat. Always on a roller-coaster of insulin response.

Getting off this roller-coaster is why I suggested diabetes education courses to those who are struggling with even minor obesity, even if they're not diabetic.
If I ate a 1800 kcal diet (as an adult) of just fruits and veggies, are you saying I'd get fat because most of my intake is coming from carbs, with trace amounts of protein and fat? Obviously not.
The chances of you adhering to a diet that gets more of its calories from fats, than from carbs, is much greater.

The obesity and diabetes epidemic is directly correlated to the rise of carb-heavy foods and diets, and demonization of dietary 'fat'. Inuit and aboriginal people used to eat diets heavily of fat and remained quite healthy. Introduce sugar pop/soda and potato chips to their diets, and now they are some of the systemically most obese, unhealthy people in all of the country.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1519 upvotes
City of Vancouver
picard12 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:16 am

Similar thread u made:
men-dont-care-about-health-2008303/

Do u remember it?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 7:25 pm
I think you're missing the point. Let's say you wake up, and you're hungry. You have 2 choices: bacon and eggs. Or a block of sugar (pure carbs).

Both can provide you with the same number of calories if you look up the relevant quantities and match accordingly.

However, the bacon and eggs, for example, will probably not trigger much of an insulin response and will provide blood sugar for the next 5 hours. The block of sugar (ie: pure carbs) will provide energy for maybe an hour or two, and then you'll be hungry again.

The person who eats lots of carbs will find they're on a sort of "yo-yo", needing more carbs to deal with the 'crash' of having eaten carbs previously.

So ultimately, they'll go on to consume more calories, and become fatter.

The person who eats the higher fat breakfast (ie: bacon and eggs, for example), won't need another meal until the mid-afternoon. And probably won't eat as much.

So ironically, eating a low-carb, higher fat diet actually results in less overall caloric intake, and hence provides for better weight control.

The problem with the western "diet" is that it is heavy with carbs, so people eat, and eat, and eat. Always on a roller-coaster of insulin response.

Getting off this roller-coaster is why I suggested diabetes education courses to those who are struggling with even minor obesity, even if they're not diabetic.

The chances of you adhering to a diet that gets more of its calories from fats, than from carbs, is much greater.

The obesity and diabetes epidemic is directly correlated to the rise of carb-heavy foods and diets, and demonization of dietary 'fat'. Inuit and aboriginal people used to eat diets heavily of fat and remained quite healthy. Introduce sugar pop/soda and potato chips to their diets, and now they are some of the systemically most obese, unhealthy people in all of the country.
No, I'm not missing the point. Maybe you need a better understanding of insulin:

http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undes ... eputation/

This series will correct your misunderstanding :)