Locked: fat men

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 9:10 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
picard12 wrote: do you remember Richard Anderson from TV show McGuyver? He now weights nearly 300lbs.
most the young guys in my building are over weight and they are only 30-40s.
Surely stargate command has some weight loss treatments.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
902 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote: Surely stargate command has some weight loss treatments.
due to severe budget cuts by Trump administration, all SGC 1 members no longer have access to gym or dietitian health plan.
All members no longer have access to free cafeteria food.
SGC-1 sport arena has been sold to Trump hotel to pay off debts. All alien artifacts to be auction off to pay off cost of operations, salaries for members.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Carbs and sugar aren't to blame for obesity, excess calories are.
Carbs and sugar are the main culprit though. A lot of calories.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Carbs and sugar are the main culprit though. A lot of calories.
Exactly. An energy balance that supports fat gain. It's not just carbs and sugar. You don't hear people advocating that we stop eating fruits and veggies (primarily carbs) to avoid becoming obese.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Carbs and sugar are the main culprit though. A lot of calories.
It is the lack of fat in our diets that cause the problem in the first place. Once we started reducing fat intake, we replaced it with more and more carbs and hidden sugars. This is where the obesity problem originated. Once we go back to properly balanced diets everything will be fine.

Not that I'm recommending Mens Journal as a good scientific source or anything, but here is an interesting article on the topic: Why Experts Now Think You Should Eat More Fat

"According to a new study from the National Institutes of Health, a diet that reduces carbohydrates in favor of fat – including the saturated fat in meat and butter – improves nearly every health measurement, from reducing our waistlines to keeping our arteries clear, more than the low-fat diets that have been recommended for generations."
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
902 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Richard Anderson lost weight. There was a photo of him taken by papazazzi showed he weight a ton.
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
It's not so much about exercise (or lack thereof) as their diet. For all you know those men are killing it at the gym only to undo it by mindless eating the rest of the day.Astonished Face
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: It is the lack of fat in our diets that cause the problem in the first place. Once we started reducing fat intake, we replaced it with more and more carbs and hidden sugars. This is where the obesity problem originated. Once we go back to properly balanced diets everything will be fine.

Not that I'm recommending Mens Journal as a good scientific source or anything, but here is an interesting article on the topic: Why Experts Now Think You Should Eat More Fat

"According to a new study from the National Institutes of Health, a diet that reduces carbohydrates in favor of fat – including the saturated fat in meat and butter – improves nearly every health measurement, from reducing our waistlines to keeping our arteries clear, more than the low-fat diets that have been recommended for generations."
Was that the 'study' that used self reported data? Not exactly a reliable way of studying cause/effect.

Weight gain/loss always comes down to energy balance. There hasn't ever been a single (proper) study that showed otherwise.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Such an impassioned topic, weight-loss that is. Everyone's certainly got their own opinion on it.

Treating weight-loss like a mathematical equation is great on paper, but not so effective in real world scenarios.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Y.O.L.O do whatever makes you happy. You want to be fat, be fat.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
Treating weight-loss like a mathematical equation is great on paper, but not so effective in real world scenarios.
Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
Buy nice or buy twice.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote: Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs

ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs

ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Buy nice or buy twice.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote: Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
I did not downvote, maybe someone else did because you did not offer anything to support your argument and just backed out lol.

Give us something, how does one go from weighing 350 lbs to 200? Genetics, how insightful. How does one gain weight, blame genetics too right?
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
hebsie wrote: Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Genetics don't change the laws of thermodynamics though. Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise. Genetics impact things like BMR or an individual's likelihood to have high or low NEAT. But those are just factors in the energy balance equation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
hebsie wrote: See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

Don't leave the discussion - especially when your argument is correct!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: Genetics don't change the laws of thermodynamics though. Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise. Genetics impact things like BMR or an individual's likelihood to have high or low NEAT. But those are just factors in the energy balance equation.
Can you cite some references for this argument? I assume you are only referring to weight gain/loss and regarding overall health as irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
picard12 wrote: I notice that there are alot of old men in my condo have pot belly. The men don't really care about fitness.

they are perfect candidate for heart attack soon. I try to exercise to stay fit and avoid heart attack.

You pretentious, judgement dweeb......

Do you know anything about these people ? Do you know anything about their health. Actually, do you know anything about anything except yourself and your own bigoted opinion. Do you know anything about them and their lives.

Look at how you started this thread ........... there was no attempt to start a productive conversation but instead demean and degrade other people who may not be as fortunate as you are enjoying supposed good health and sitting on your high horse comparing your wonderfulness to those less fortunate.

Get a life and if you want to start a productive conversation, try doing so less judgementally ( in you are capable )
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
902 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
I am not demeaning anyone. I am trying to raise a point that men don't seem to be aware of health until they have heart attack.
I often see women jogging, doing yoga.

it is very expensive to treat diabetes if one body become obese. North America has obesity epidemic which can't be ignored like minor inconvenience.
Airlines often see obese passengers who overtake seats from other passengers. it doesn't take much effort to walk briskly everyday to loose weight.
when I was working at the bank for contract job, I regularly see obese employees whom worked there for at least 20years. I can't believe anyone allow their weight to increase to such huge amount.