• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 6:21 pm
Tags:
Member
Dec 10, 2007
279 posts
156 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:33 pm

Treating weight-loss like a mathematical equation is great on paper, but not so effective in real world scenarios.
Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 11, 2011
833 posts
484 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:40 pm
Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs


ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Member
Dec 10, 2007
279 posts
156 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:50 pm

See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs


ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 11, 2011
833 posts
484 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:14 pm
Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Member
Dec 10, 2007
279 posts
156 upvotes
Arviat
I did not downvote, maybe someone else did because you did not offer anything to support your argument and just backed out lol.

Give us something, how does one go from weighing 350 lbs to 200? Genetics, how insightful. How does one gain weight, blame genetics too right?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4519 posts
244 upvotes
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:00 pm
Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Genetics don't change the laws of thermodynamics though. Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise. Genetics impact things like BMR or an individual's likelihood to have high or low NEAT. But those are just factors in the energy balance equation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:50 pm
See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs
Don't leave the discussion - especially when your argument is correct!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:11 pm
Genetics don't change the laws of thermodynamics though. Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise. Genetics impact things like BMR or an individual's likelihood to have high or low NEAT. But those are just factors in the energy balance equation.
Can you cite some references for this argument? I assume you are only referring to weight gain/loss and regarding overall health as irrelevant.
Member
Nov 16, 2011
268 posts
89 upvotes
HAMILTON
picard12 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:16 am
I notice that there are alot of old men in my condo have pot belly. The men don't really care about fitness.

they are perfect candidate for heart attack soon. I try to exercise to stay fit and avoid heart attack.

You pretentious, judgement dweeb......

Do you know anything about these people ? Do you know anything about their health. Actually, do you know anything about anything except yourself and your own bigoted opinion. Do you know anything about them and their lives.

Look at how you started this thread ........... there was no attempt to start a productive conversation but instead demean and degrade other people who may not be as fortunate as you are enjoying supposed good health and sitting on your high horse comparing your wonderfulness to those less fortunate.

Get a life and if you want to start a productive conversation, try doing so less judgementally ( in you are capable )
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I am not demeaning anyone. I am trying to raise a point that men don't seem to be aware of health until they have heart attack.
I often see women jogging, doing yoga.

it is very expensive to treat diabetes if one body become obese. North America has obesity epidemic which can't be ignored like minor inconvenience.
Airlines often see obese passengers who overtake seats from other passengers. it doesn't take much effort to walk briskly everyday to loose weight.
when I was working at the bank for contract job, I regularly see obese employees whom worked there for at least 20years. I can't believe anyone allow their weight to increase to such huge amount.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
7963 posts
2803 upvotes
Toronto
Op, this ain't you right? https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/ ... ese-woman/
picard12 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:01 pm
I am not demeaning anyone. I am trying to raise a point that men don't seem to be aware of health until they have heart attack.
I often see women jogging, doing yoga.

it is very expensive to treat diabetes if one body become obese. North America has obesity epidemic which can't be ignored like minor inconvenience.
Airlines often see obese passengers who overtake seats from other passengers. it doesn't take much effort to walk briskly everyday to loose weight.
when I was working at the bank for contract job, I regularly see obese employees whom worked there for at least 20years. I can't believe anyone allow their weight to increase to such huge amount.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1519 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Look at the huge majority of unhealthy food and restaurant threads in the Food Forum.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
all of the men in my blood line died of heart attack or cancer. I expect to die in same way.
I want to live life to like its the last day.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4519 posts
244 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:08 pm
Can you cite some references for this argument? I assume you are only referring to weight gain/loss and regarding overall health as irrelevant.
Which argument?

I didn't say overall health is irrelevant.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 6:46 pm
Which argument?
...
This argument: "Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise."

Top