• Sep 12th, 2017 3:11 pm
Tags:
Dec 10, 2007
242 posts
125 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:33 pm

Treating weight-loss like a mathematical equation is great on paper, but not so effective in real world scenarios.
Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
Jul 11, 2011
752 posts
447 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:40 pm
Quite the opposite actually, the only way one's going to lose weight effectively is to treat weight loss like a mathematical equation.

Whatever diet is out there, the underlying principle is calorie restriction, they just give it a cool name as a hook (Atkins, Paleo, even cabbage soup LoL).
See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs

ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Dec 10, 2007
242 posts
125 upvotes
Arviat
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:50 pm

See, now that type of black/white is simply not true. It is not just calorie in/calorie out. It is not just calorie restriction.

The human body, the individual human body, is way too complex for that simple line of thinking...hebs

ps...and I know, I've now baited you into another one of those pointless internet arguments, as to why it is the calorie and nothing else. FTR, I'm walking away from this thread now, but do feel free to air your e-opinion others!
Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Jul 11, 2011
752 posts
447 upvotes
Ontario
ellesdad wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:14 pm
Sour grapes, I guess? Sorry if it did not work for you.

But seriously, I know it's simplistic, that the body does fight back and you don't lose as much as you're supposed to lose later on in the diet. I know that. But for you, how else do you think one loses weight? Is it magic?
Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 10, 2007
242 posts
125 upvotes
Arviat
I did not downvote, maybe someone else did because you did not offer anything to support your argument and just backed out lol.

Give us something, how does one go from weighing 350 lbs to 200? Genetics, how insightful. How does one gain weight, blame genetics too right?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4435 posts
218 upvotes
hebsie wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:00 pm
Genetics. And one day you'll open your closed mine and learn something new! Cheers...hebs

ps...I returned the downvotes you sent, as I only felt it was fair Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Genetics don't change the laws of thermodynamics though. Energy balance is still what drives weight gain or loss. There isn't a shred of proof showing otherwise. Genetics impact things like BMR or an individual's likelihood to have high or low NEAT. But those are just factors in the energy balance equation.