• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 5:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
84 posts
15 upvotes

fate of unused vacation days

i have a question about my unused vacations: i am changing jobs, and Monday will be my last day at my current job. at my current job, i have some unused vacation days, and i am wondering what happens to them when i leave the current company. would i get paid for those unused vacation days or will they be lost? should i talk with my current employer about that? if it matters, i am in Quebec.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5107 posts
662 upvotes
darXider wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:10 pm
i have a question about my unused vacations: i am changing jobs, and Monday will be my last day at my current job. at my current job, i have some unused vacation days, and i am wondering what happens to them when i leave the current company. would i get paid for those unused vacation days or will they be lost? should i talk with my current employer about that? if it matters, i am in Quebec.
Generally they get paid out for the prorated portion you have accrued in the work year.

Keep in mind, if you got your annual allotment of say 20 days on November 1st, they wouldn't pay out for the 20 unused days, probably just 1/12th of them for months worked in the fiscal year.
Dec 15, 2010
96 posts
56 upvotes
darXider wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:10 pm
should i talk with my current employer about that?
Such a great idea.
Jan 11, 2017
85 posts
24 upvotes
"Earned" vacation days are usually paid out.. Notice "earned" which means not what you're entitled too. Being it's the end of the year and assuming you've taken no vacation thus far, could be a fair amount of $$$ and I believe CRA will get their cut too.
Oct 13, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
What happened if you have taken all your vacation already before you quit your job during the year? Will they claw back the unpaid salary to cover the unearned vacation?
Jan 11, 2017
85 posts
24 upvotes
Yep, you'll own them money if you took all of your vacation but have not earned all of it yet.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
84 posts
15 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:59 pm
Generally they get paid out for the prorated portion you have accrued in the work year.

Keep in mind, if you got your annual allotment of say 20 days on November 1st, they wouldn't pay out for the 20 unused days, probably just 1/12th of them for months worked in the fiscal year.
so i've been at my current company for more than a year (~ 1.34 years to be exact), and the fiscal year ends on March 31 every year for us. from July 2016 (when i started) until the end of March 2017, i used only 4 days of vacation. from the beginning of April 2017 until now, i have used 13 days. we are entitled to 21 days of paid vacation every year. am i right in assuming that the company owes me ~ 11 days of vacation (21 * 1.34 - (4 + 13) = 11.xx)?
hdjunkie wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 3:19 pm
"Earned" vacation days are usually paid out.. Notice "earned" which means not what you're entitled too. Being it's the end of the year and assuming you've taken no vacation thus far, could be a fair amount of $$$ and I believe CRA will get their cut too.
sorry. could you please explain what you mean by "...are usually paid out"?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2308 posts
1224 upvotes
darXider wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:58 am
so i've been at my current company for more than a year (~ 1.34 years to be exact), and the fiscal year ends on March 31 every year for us. from July 2016 (when i started) until the end of March 2017, i used only 4 days of vacation. from the beginning of April 2017 until now, i have used 13 days. we are entitled to 21 days of paid vacation every year. am i right in assuming that the company owes me ~ 11 days of vacation (21 * 1.34 - (4 + 13) = 11.xx)?

It's entirely up to your company I believe. They may pay you for all your earned vacation days, but I believe there's a minimum they can pay you out instead (4% of your pay).
Nov 24, 2008
263 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
darXider wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:58 am

First of all you need to talk to your company. There may be several policies governing how vacation days are used and paid out as well as what your company is using for a vacation calendar. Some companies will have their vacation calendar follow the fiscal year April-March, and some might do Jan-Dec even if they follow the April-March year. This would affect how many days you're entitled/earned.

Some companies don't carry over vacation time from one fiscal year to another. Usually if you have time left, they'll either pay that out on your year end pay cheque or you lose them. I've seen both.
And, for this this fiscal year, you haven't finished up the year so it's likely that you wouldn't be entitled to the 21 days. Your vacation time would be pro-rated and you'd only get credit for the days you've 'earned' based on the time you've been with the company.

I recently ended a job for which I still had unused vacation time. The company follows a vacation calendar from Jan-March. I was entitled to 20 days vacation time for the year. Up until my end date, I had used only 4 days vacation. On paper it would have seemed that the company owed me 16 days vacation, but since I finished up on the 16th of October, my pro-rated vacation days was 13. And then, because they accrue vacation time monthly on the 20th of every month, I actually lost time because my last day was the 16th. I lost a day of vacation time. On my final paycheque it was paid out and then clawed back.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8347 posts
1321 upvotes
this has nothing to do with your employer, and solely based on employment standards in your province.

The norm is this, if you earn 20 days a year, and leave on November 1st, you have worked 10 of 12 full months, so you have earned around 83% of those holiday days, which would be around 16.66 days, if you took 17, you owe them 1/3rd a day, if you took 10 days, they owe you 6 2/3 days.

Most companies wouldnt round to a 1/3rd, do you may be incremements of 1/2 days or even full days.