Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Fatman 50-Watts Tube Amplifier with iPod Dock $299.99 (reg $449.99) at Bestbuy Online

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2012 7:35 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2007
75 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Fatman 50-Watts Tube Amplifier with iPod Dock $299.99 (reg $449.99) at Bestbuy Online

For those that want high end sound and a different look.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/fat ... 8937b3en02

Fatman 50-Watts Tube Amplifier with iPod Dock
This Fatman iTube amplifier lets you dock your iPod and enjoy great audio. It delivers up to 25 watts of power per channel and features a unique design that's sure to impress. *Please Note: iPod is Sold Separately.

Product Features
The original and best low-cost Fatman product for use with iPod and any other audio devices (e.g. CD, mobile phone, etc.)

Utilising a hybrid-tube design platform, the iTube provides superb audio reproduction with up to 50 watts (25W x 2) of total power

The performance of the amplifier and dock has been scrutinised by the world's press and they have awarded it the best accolades possible, including Product Of The Year, and iPod Audio System Of The Year

The dock allows any iPod to be used (except shuffle) and also comes with a full-function remote control for complete control over all iPod functionality

Valve processing gives warm, rich, audio characteristics

Source Inputs: 2x RCA pair

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz (±1.5Db)

Harmonic Distortion: Equal or Less than 0.5%

Signal-To-Noise Ratio: Equal or Greater than 86Db

Input Impedance: 100 KOhms

Output Impedance: 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7735 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
da hell? bestbuy selling tube amp?

this any good?
Jun 6, 2004
525 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
I believe this Amp plus speakers was clearing out for $300 or $400 at London Drugs quite a few years ago. I bought one, but I had to return it because I wasn't raking in the dough to justify keeping the system :(

I believe it was under a different brand (I think it's this http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Integrity-M ... B000R95UU4), but same design with magic eye tube. Now I wish I had kept it.
Dec 6, 2005
396 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
I think this is the same amp that london drugs sold. It was sold under the "Zuum" brand.
All these amps are rebranded DARED MP5 hybrid amps.

It gets pretty good reviews, so I really dont think you can go wrong for the price.
And like the guy before said, forget using the dock with an iphone.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10453 posts
1047 upvotes
fershy wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 6:30 pm
Oh its good alright. Good if you have an older generation Ipod that is. If for instance you have an Ipod Touch generation 2 or better it is not compatible. Iphone, forget about it.
http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product_0 ... Dock.shtml
fershy

Actually, you just need one of these Scosche dock adapters to make this product work with any newer iPod Touch or iPhone. I have a few of them from Wal Mart when they were being cleared out for $5.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1695

They work great.

I have a couple of Phillips SJM3151 docks with LCD display remotes that I picked up at Sears in the US for next to nothing on clearance, they work just fine with the adapters.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbi ... =ca&slg=en

I also have an older Sanyo digital clock radio with iPod dock. New iPod touch and iPhones work just fine with an adapter.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
1807 posts
415 upvotes
Rimouski, qc
Ahh The tube placebo effect.

The effect wont work if the price is too low....You have to feel it in your wallet too.

It's the magic of tube.

;)
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18557 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
If you want a tube amp, this is better and for a better price:

http://www.mav-audio.com/

You can even get the upgraded tubes for it. Not all tubes are created equal. Some brands are better than others.

Get a D2 if you want a DAC or an A1 id you want an actual amp.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1464 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
najibs wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 10:16 pm
If you want a tube amp, this is better and for a better price:

http://www.mav-audio.com/

You can even get the upgraded tubes for it. Not all tubes are created equal. Some brands are better than others.

Get a D2 if you want a DAC or an A1 id you want an actual amp.

Excellent amps. Also look at Little Dot amps in this price bracket.

But just be aware - the amplifier may cost $200 (or so), but you may find yourself buying quite a few pairs of tubes to find the best sound signature for you (For example I bought my MKIII at $200 and I've spent about the same on tubes).
Nom nom nom.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18557 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
Speedv1 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 11:00 pm
Excellent amps. Also look at Little Dot amps in this price bracket.

But just be aware - the amplifier may cost $200 (or so), but you may find yourself buying quite a few pairs of tubes to find the best sound signature for you (For example I bought my MKIII at $200 and I've spent about the same on tubes).

And also, most people don't realize that tubes have a burn in period, and a cycle. You get optimum quality once it's burnt in, which could be approx 50-100hrs of playing time. Towards the end of it's life the sound quality again starts to degrade, and you'll need to replace the tubes. Tubes are pricey. You buy tube amps for their sound characteristics.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1464 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
najibs wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 11:06 pm
And also, most people don't realize that tubes have a burn in period, and a cycle. You get optimum quality once it's burnt in, which could be approx 50-100hrs of playing time. Towards the end of it's life the sound quality again starts to degrade, and you'll need to replace the tubes. Tubes are pricey. You buy tube amps for their sound characteristics.

Agreed fully on all of that! IMO if someone is serious about getting a tube amp they should look into how it pairs with the headphones they own (reviews, advice as per impedance & sensitivity, and so on). It's not the easiest process but it pays off!
Nom nom nom.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2290 posts
818 upvotes
Calgaryish
fershy wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 6:30 pm
Oh its good alright. Good if you have an older generation Ipod that is. If for instance you have an Ipod Touch generation 2 or better it is not compatible. Iphone, forget about it.

The little iPod dock unit on the right of the photo is not required. Just use the amp by itself and plug in whatever phone/music player you have.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1136 upvotes
Mississauga East
also make sure you mp3s are not encoded at 128 kbps
May 19, 2003
299 posts
50 upvotes
zz000ter wrote:
Feb 5th, 2012 1:34 am
also make sure you mp3s are not encoded at 128 kbps
Better yet, just make sure that you don't use MP3 trash in the first place.
× < >