• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2017 11:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes

Faucet installation

I just bought a faucet for the bathroom sink from Costco and trying to install it myself. According to those DIY videos I found online, the faucet will come off once I loosen those two mounts under the sink. However, I notice my faucet is like attached to the sink firmly. Not sure if the builder's installer glued it or something. What do you guys suggest me to do ?

By the way, there are two of those plastic caps/mounts under the sink to secure the faucet. One of them, I can easily loosen it by hand, but the other one is super tight. I saw the people online are using a "tube like" tool to unscrew it. I assume I can buy it from Home Depot. How much roughly is it ? Is there other alternative way to loosen it (if it is too expensive to buy for one time use) ?

Note: As mentioned, there are two mounts under the sink. And like I said, I loosen one but the faucet on that side still does not move a bit a all (like glued on).

Thanks for any help :)
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1900 posts
398 upvotes
no, plumbers will never use any glue or adhesive on these kind of things.
Its just most likely that over the years there is built up gunk and stuff that is sticking to it and solidifying.
As long as you really did remove the two nuts securing the faucet, and there's nothing else, all you'll need is a little bit of force to loosen it free from all that gross stuff.

A picture would really speak a thousand words too......hint.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2294 posts
801 upvotes
You have to remove both the nuts which fasten the water lines to the faucet as well as the nuts that hold the faucet to the sink. Guess you're down to the last nut of the four. The tool you're looking for is called a basin wrench and the head swivels so as to either loosen or tighten the nuts.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10in ... 28210.html
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
An update, as you see the first photo below, there are two plastic nuts/caps holding the faucet to the sink. I am able to unscrew one of them by hand. However, the other is so tight, and I notice (on the second photo) two out of four of those "holding points" (not sure how to call them) are already broken, they were probably broken when the builder's installer was trying to tighten it. Not to sure how easy to remove it now......

Also, since one of them is already loosen, I thought the faucet could be moved a bit, however it is actually still as tight as when both nuts were on, does not move a bit a all. I wonder what other areas are holding the faucet so tight, something in the center ?? Thanks for any clue.

Another question is about those hoses, if my new faucet comes with the hoses, I assume I just loosen the nuts from where the water valves are (on the third photo), and attached the hoses from the new faucet there, right ? Thanks again

Last edited by rdx on Apr 21st, 2017 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:30 am
An update, as you see the first photo below

Images aren't showing for me
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:52 am
Images aren't showing for me
Does it work now ?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
Yup. So you need a special wrench to get the other side loose. One nut side that is that tight would make the faucet unmovable.

As for the hoses, you are correct. You should be able to just hook up the new.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:18 am
Yup. So you need a special wrench to get the other side loose. One nut side that is that tight would make the faucet unmovable.

As for the hoses, you are correct. You should be able to just hook up the new.
Ok, thanks. I saw the basin wrench in hardware store for $15 but not sure if it would work for my case. As yo use, that plastic nut is pretty "thin" with only 4 tiny holding pieces for the tool to grip and two of them are broken already. Any other alternative to loosen that nut by griping the entire plastic nut ? By the way, last time when I hired a plumber to install my kitchen faucet, I saw he had an power tool which can remove that in 5 seconds. Anyway, I don't think I would spend money buying that for one time use ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:32 am
By the way, last time when I hired a plumber to install my kitchen faucet, I saw he had an power tool which can remove that in 5 seconds. Anyway, I don't think I would spend money buying that for one time use ;)
Well, I am sure this isn't the last faucet you will install in your life, and that wrench is cheaper than a plumber.

Check Princess Auto for a cheaper version of the tool

Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1900 posts
398 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:30 am
An update, as you see the first photo below, there are two plastic nuts/caps holding the faucet to the sink. I am able to unscrew one of them by hand. However, the other is so tight, and I notice (on the second photo) two out of four of those "holding points" (not sure how to call them) are already broken, they were probably broken when the builder's installer was trying to tighten it. Not to sure how easy to remove it now......

Also, since one of them is already loosen, I thought the faucet could be moved a bit, however it is actually still as tight as when both nuts were on, does not move a bit a all. I wonder what other areas are holding the faucet so tight, something in the center ?? Thanks for any clue.

Another question is about those hoses, if my new faucet comes with the hoses, I assume I just loosen the nuts from where the water valves are (on the third photo), and attached the hoses from the new faucet there, right ? Thanks again

Good photos!
Yep it's just those two grey plastic things that are holding the faucet tight to the counter.
It's pure brute force now.
Like I said, over years and years, it's likely that these will be seized with gunk and very tight.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
I finally managed to take it off. However, one of those plastic nuts are kind of broken at the those tiny gripping pieces. Do I need to buy replacement? Or new faucet usually comes with it ?

Also, when we replace the faucet, do people usually replace the bottom part under the sink as well ? It looks hard to remove ;)
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:15 am
Good photos!
Yep it's just those two grey plastic things that are holding the faucet tight to the counter.
It's pure brute force now.
Like I said, over years and years, it's likely that these will be seized with gunk and very tight.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9697 posts
330 upvotes
Brampton
rdx wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:15 am
I finally managed to take it off. However, one of those plastic nuts are kind of broken at the those tiny gripping pieces. Do I need to buy replacement? Or new faucet usually comes with it ?

Also, when we replace the faucet, do people usually replace the bottom part under the sink as well ? It looks hard to remove ;)
The new faucet comes with new plastic or metal nuts to hold it in place. What bottom part under the sink are you talking about?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2294 posts
801 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 7:15 pm
What bottom part under the sink are you talking about?
The pop-up.