Automotive

At fault Accident, Other driver has no insurance.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 11:38 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1470 posts
828 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:40 pm
Why don't you drive without insurance ? ...I dare you !
I'm not stupid. I'm just pointing out the error in your statement.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
476 upvotes
Rockwood
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:32 pm
Where do you come up with this crap?
I was wondering the same thing.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
49 upvotes
Now let's take another scenario, what if that other driver took pics of the accident and has OP's "friends" license plate number. Next day calls an Insurance company and gets a new policy set up. 2 days later reports it to police that his car was involved in an accident and shows his photos. Then calls his Insurance company and files a claim on OP's "friend". What would happen now?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7561 posts
5874 upvotes
Oakville
deepanMedia wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:53 am
Now let's take another scenario, what if that other driver took pics of the accident and has OP's "friends" license plate number. Next day calls an Insurance company and gets a new policy set up. 2 days later reports it to police that his car was involved in an accident and shows his photos. Then calls his Insurance company and files a claim on OP's "friend". What would happen now?
Other guy is charged with fraud and no insurance.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
49 upvotes
But how? I understand he didn't have insurance at time of accident but Police would not know this nor his insurance company. Unless OP's "friend" might have a dashcam installed which has the date of the accident. Otherwise, Police would just treat it as a new accident with info from the person. And Insurance company would not give a care and just file a claim.
Jun 1, 2008
686 posts
212 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That happened to a buddy of mine but the other way around. The guy paid cash for the repairs.
Apr 15, 2014
306 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deepanMedia wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:02 am
But how? I understand he didn't have insurance at time of accident but Police would not know this nor his insurance company. Unless OP's "friend" might have a dashcam installed which has the date of the accident. Otherwise, Police would just treat it as a new accident with info from the person. And Insurance company would not give a care and just file a claim.
The truth always comes out. Fraud is a serious offence and people don’t just try shit like that.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7561 posts
5874 upvotes
Oakville
deepanMedia wrote:
So the other guy would have to digitally alter the timestamp on his photos (more fraud).
He would somehow also have to get around your alibi that you were somewhere else when he claims you hit him days later. So maybe he could lure you back to the original scene.
He would have to delete any phone records between you two before the fake incident.
He'd also have to deleted phone location records.
He'd have to delete any photos or dash cam video you have.
And murder any witnesses that were in your car.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
49 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:55 am
So the other guy would have to digitally alter the timestamp on his photos (more fraud).
He would somehow also have to get around your alibi that you were somewhere else when he claims you hit him days later. So maybe he could lure you back to the original scene.
He would have to delete any phone records between you two before the fake incident.
He'd also have to deleted phone location records.
He'd have to delete any photos or dash cam video you have.
And murder any witnesses that were in your car.
LOL the last part had me! But honestly the photos are just for your own reference. The cops don't even need the photos they just file a report if the damage is more than $2K. Insurance companies just send out an adjuster to look at the vehicle in a shop, so they don't ask you for any deets either. I was just thinking about what the other person might have done, if he was to do it.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1394 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:30 pm
It's actually a criminal offense to not have insurance !
Your friend should sue his pants off and say he hit him instead !
Source??
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3949 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
deepanMedia wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:53 am
you have to report within 24 hours. So it's already too late.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:30 pm
It's actually a criminal offense to not have insurance !
Your friend should sue his pants off and say he hit him instead !
I see that you are trying to sound smart yet again, so let me give you a little advice first.
Before you make a bold statement and throw exclamation mark behind it, conduct at least a very basic research so you can back it up if necessary.

For example if you have done this, you would find out that there is no such thing in the Criminal Code of Canada.
This way you won't come across as a complete idiot next time you feel like sharing your great wisdom with the rest of us.
You're welcome. ;)
Apr 20, 2009
157 posts
34 upvotes
deepanMedia wrote:

Police can run a VIN and tell if it is insured or not and who it is insured with. They also routinely call insurance companies to verify if a policy is in force, and they call from scenes of accidents and when they've pulled someone over who they suspect has no insurance.

The insurance company would most certainly care if you are filing a fraudulent claim. Also most insurance companies have some sort of analytics built into their system. A claim happening two days after a policy is in force will trigger those analytics features and you can bet the claim will automatically be assigned to an SIU investigator who will be looking through every detail.
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
Swerny wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:57 am
I swear the downvote feature should be brought back for posters like this

:facepalm:
Based on all the previous unfortunate threads in which this individual has participated, I would be almost tempted to call him out as a troll...
But then I realize, that even trolls must have some basic level of intelligence in order to be effective.

I think in this particular case, we are most likely just dealing with a stupid, but very determined individual instead (which could be often worse than a standing troll army).