Automotive

At fault Accident, Other driver has no insurance.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 11:38 am
Tags:
Mar 29, 2015
64 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Last time I was applying for insurance they asked for photos of the car to verify the condition. I don't know if that was because I'm a relatively new driver or that the car was 20 years old. Might be hard to insure a car after an accident if they have to show photos as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3880 posts
1607 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jechin1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:35 am
Last time I was applying for insurance they asked for photos of the car to verify the condition. I don't know if that was because I'm a relatively new driver or that the car was 20 years old. Might be hard to insure a car after an accident if they have to show photos as well.
I have never been asked for anything of the sort.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1124 posts
192 upvotes
You guys are goofs, buddy driving with no insurance is a good chunk of the reason we all pay so much for insurance. You should report it, and then the police will fine him $5000. No one says you need to go through insurance, but he should be turned in. They estimate upwards of 1 million drivers in Ontario have no insurance at times during the any given year. Do you think buddy is going to stop and leave his info when he sideswipes your car parked on the street???

Again this is not the moral answer, it is the logical answer. Report it, no one is going to lay a charge on you, and you can avoid going through insurance if you want.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1124 posts
192 upvotes
marktang wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:58 am
you have to report within 24 hours. So it's already too late.
It is never too late, just you could get a ticket for reporting late, although I have never seen that happen....
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1124 posts
192 upvotes
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:38 am
Police can run a VIN and tell if it is insured or not and who it is insured with. They also routinely call insurance companies to verify if a policy is in force, and they call from scenes of accidents and when they've pulled someone over who they suspect has no insurance.

The insurance company would most certainly care if you are filing a fraudulent claim. Also most insurance companies have some sort of analytics built into their system. A claim happening two days after a policy is in force will trigger those analytics features and you can bet the claim will automatically be assigned to an SIU investigator who will be looking through every detail.
The burden to prove you have insurance falls on the driver, not the police. If you can't prove it you can be charged. Police don't need to prove that you don't have it, you have to prove that you do. Good luck proving that if you don't have it...........
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1155 posts
614 upvotes
Ottawa
QTheNukes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:45 am
The burden to prove you have insurance falls on the driver, not the police. If you can't prove it you can be charged. Police don't need to prove that you don't have it, you have to prove that you do. Good luck proving that if you don't have it...........
I think you misunderstood the point. He is trying to say that even without physical proof of insurance, police are able to verify if a vehicle is truly insured or not. People pulled over without insurance can't just say "I forget my insurance slip in my purse at home", because the police will still know they are driving without insurance and didn't simply forget the slip.
Apr 20, 2009
129 posts
21 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
You won't be asked this info unless you disclose pre-existing damage, or if the vehicle is old (15+ years typically), or has modifications, or if you're giving off a sketchy vibe.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5377 posts
3723 upvotes
GTA
QTheNukes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:42 am
You guys are goofs, buddy driving with no insurance is a good chunk of the reason we all pay so much for insurance. You should report it, and then the police will fine him $5000. No one says you need to go through insurance, but he should be turned in. They estimate upwards of 1 million drivers in Ontario have no insurance at times during the any given year. Do you think buddy is going to stop and leave his info when he sideswipes your car parked on the street???

Again this is not the moral answer, it is the logical answer. Report it, no one is going to lay a charge on you, and you can avoid going through insurance if you want.
Oh god... that high? I'm not usually pro-death penalty, but in this case I think I'd be alright with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2001 posts
341 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:56 pm
Oh god... that high? I'm not usually pro-death penalty, but in this case I think I'd be alright with it.
Lol wtf?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1124 posts
192 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:56 pm
If you are dirt poor they drop the price a lot........sometimes to basically nothing - but if you are just trying to save cash you will be out a lot of money!!
Nov 24, 2013
192 posts
41 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
jechin1 wrote:
I was asked this years ago when my car was 15 years old. When I switched insurance companies the next year with the same car, they also asked for photos. The agent I dealt with said they did it for any car 15 years and up since they're concerned of prior damage due to the car's age. He also said it's unlikely they'll ask if a car's relatively new or the driver has a clean history, but that it's not uncommon if someone has two or three not-at-fault accidents on a vehicle they've had for a few years since they're concerned about fraud.

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for photos if an older driver was becoming insured for the first time since that might be a red flag to some insurance companies. Those companies didn't get rich by not being overly cautious. :)
Jul 25, 2015
506 posts
236 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:51 am
I think you misunderstood the point. He is trying to say that even without physical proof of insurance, police are able to verify if a vehicle is truly insured or not. People pulled over without insurance can't just say "I forget my insurance slip in my purse at home", because the police will still know they are driving without insurance and didn't simply forget the slip.
They will only know if you have insurance or not if you're in a province like BC or SK since the plate and insurance are together. Other provinces, theres no way to check. If they produce a insurance slip, you could call the company to confirm it is still valid.
Apr 20, 2009
129 posts
21 upvotes
Sinasta wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:18 pm
They will only know if you have insurance or not if you're in a province like BC or SK since the plate and insurance are together. Other provinces, theres no way to check. If they produce a insurance slip, you could call the company to confirm it is still valid.
Not true. At least in Ontario, all insurers report to the IBC which VIN numbers are insured and whether the insurance is currently active. This info is updated almost on a daily basis. A cop can run your VIN number through the computer in their car and tell whether it is currently insured or not. Even if the computer is down or if the police department does not have laptops in their vehicles they can and do call the insurance company to verify if they want to nail you with a ticket.

Even if you have what a appears to be a valid pink slip in your vehicle and the cop has reason to suspect your insurance is not currently valid, they will run your VIN number to check and if the computer shows it is not valid, they will give you a ticket for no insurance regardless of the fact you were able to produce a pink slip.
Jul 25, 2015
506 posts
236 upvotes
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:38 pm
Not true. At least in Ontario, all insurers report to the IBC which VIN numbers are insured and whether the insurance is currently active. This info is updated almost on a daily basis. A cop can run your VIN number through the computer in their car and tell whether it is currently insured or not. Even if the computer is down or if the police department does not have laptops in their vehicles they can and do call the insurance company to verify if they want to nail you with a ticket.

Even if you have what a appears to be a valid pink slip in your vehicle and the cop has reason to suspect your insurance is not currently valid, they will run your VIN number to check and if the computer shows it is not valid, they will give you a ticket for no insurance regardless of the fact you were able to produce a pink slip.
This is a old article but the only thing I could find.
https://www.thestar.com/news/investigat ... _ride.html