Automotive

At fault Accident, Other driver has no insurance.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 11:38 am
Tags:
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8485 posts
1848 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:30 pm
It's actually a criminal offense to not have insurance !
Your friend should sue his pants off and say he hit him instead !
I really miss the downvotes :(
Jul 25, 2015
675 posts
412 upvotes
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:42 pm
That is most certainly not the case today.
How do you know? Even in the article it says when the program will fully be implemented, the police still wont have access.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46794 posts
12765 upvotes
Without insurance, wouldn't they likely have a fake VIN, license plate or driver's license?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8292 posts
6799 upvotes
Oakville
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:29 pm
Without insurance, wouldn't they likely have a fake VIN, license plate or driver's license?
No. Most people without insurance are simply just doing that. They're not going to bother faking a VIN. They often have a revoked license though.
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
35 upvotes
Sinasta wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:58 pm
How do you know? Even in the article it says when the program will fully be implemented, the police still wont have access.
The article you quoted is at least seven years old...

I have worked at an insurance company where cops would routinely call during a traffic stop to confirm the information that is being displayed on their system? They had access to an internal number exclusively for these inquiries? I dealt with numerous consumer complaints where customers didn't pay their bills and got tickets when cops found out on the side of the road via their computers that their insurance was not active? I had colleagues who's sole job was to ensure data being reported to this system was accurate?

Also right from the IBC, they've confirmed that they've expanded the system to law enforcement

http://www.ibc.ca/on/auto/branding/insu ... on-program
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1189 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just report it to police to protect yourself. At fault or not, doesn't mean you have to go through insurance. Its not like the police are going to phone up and tell your insurance company.

The only downside is an accident record on your CarProof. But hey that's better than battling a drawn out he-said-she-said case for months in court.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Jul 25, 2015
675 posts
412 upvotes
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:24 pm
The article you quoted is at least seven years old...

I have worked at an insurance company where cops would routinely call during a traffic stop to confirm the information that is being displayed on their system? They had access to an internal number exclusively for these inquiries? I dealt with numerous consumer complaints where customers didn't pay their bills and got tickets when cops found out on the side of the road via their computers that their insurance was not active? I had colleagues who's sole job was to ensure data being reported to this system was accurate?

Also right from the IBC, they've confirmed that they've expanded the system to law enforcement

http://www.ibc.ca/on/auto/branding/insu ... on-program
I'm well aware it is a old article as I even stated it is old.

I did a little more digging and apparently 51 of 65 police forces have access to it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39432 posts
3602 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Both things are kinda messed up.

However... shitty driving can at least be forgiveable... accidents do happen and you really shouldnt let a rear ender happen, thats just inattention that could get people hurt.

But no insurance is worst... ya ya insurance sucks and its expensive. But its a safe guard that if anything happens at least your medical and loss of earnings is covered... and i guess if you die your fam gets some money.
Feb 19, 2012
895 posts
577 upvotes
Woodbridge
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:57 am
Both things are kinda messed up.

However... shitty driving can at least be forgiveable... accidents do happen and you really shouldnt let a rear ender happen, thats just inattention that could get people hurt.

But no insurance is worst... ya ya insurance sucks and its expensive. But its a safe guard that if anything happens at least your medical and loss of earnings is covered... and i guess if you die your fam gets some money.
What a load of nonsense. Bad driving leads to numerous serious injuries and fatalities; something that no amount of insurance can fix. The OP's 'friend' is just lucky that the guy he crashed into was an even bigger tool and had no insurance. Both parties are pretty awful here.

As for your comment about being rear ended; again what do you expect a stationary car to do when someone comes barreling into the back of you? More often than not there is nowhere to go as many rear enders seem to happen in heavy traffic. Talk about blaming the victim.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39432 posts
3602 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
greybrick wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:51 am
What a load of nonsense. Bad driving leads to numerous serious injuries and fatalities; something that no amount of insurance can fix. The OP's 'friend' is just lucky that the guy he crashed into was an even bigger tool and had no insurance. Both parties are pretty awful here.

As for your comment about being rear ended; again what do you expect a stationary car to do when someone comes barreling into the back of you? More often than not there is nowhere to go as many rear enders seem to happen in heavy traffic. Talk about blaming the victim.
Yah i don't disagree with you...the victim is pretty messed up for not having insurance. Both are bad.
But driving without insurance is more negligent then rear ending someone. Because it was premeditated & a thought out blatant disregard for the rules.
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
35 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:50 am

But driving without insurance is more negligent then rear ending someone. Because it was premeditated & a thought out blatant disregard for the rules.
Most of the time yes, but I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. Sometimes it is the broker/agent error that the policy cancelled or an innocent mistake on the client's part.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39432 posts
3602 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:57 am
Most of the time yes, but I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. Sometimes it is the broker/agent error that the policy cancelled or an innocent mistake on the client's part.
Oh okie. Those are the exceptions.
But you must admit... it is pretty messed up to drive without insurance. Its one of the final safe guards that can prevent catastrophe to someones life.
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
35 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:12 am
Oh okie. Those are the exceptions.
But you must admit... it is pretty messed up to drive without insurance. Its one of the final safe guards that can prevent catastrophe to someones life.
Agreed. If one can't afford the insurance, they can't afford to drive. Take public transit.

Not sure why the threat of multi-million dollar lawsuits don't scare the crap out of people to get insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8292 posts
6799 upvotes
Oakville
absolut123 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:16 am
Agreed. If one can't afford the insurance, they can't afford to drive. Take public transit.

Not sure why the threat of multi-million dollar lawsuits don't scare the crap out of people to get insurance.
Same reason people don't save for retirement. Short term gain for long term pain.
Nov 10, 2010
379 posts
152 upvotes
Hamilton
People think if they get sued they'll just claim bankruptcy....they don't think about hitting a kid and putting them in a wheel chair for the rest of their lives with no support. Driving with no insurance is one of the most irresponsible and careless acts I can think of. I would not hesitate to report anyone doing that. There is simply no excuse to "knowingly" drive without coverage.