• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2005 2:26 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2002
536 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
Dunno if its made its way over to Toronto but a local Calgary brewery makes some awesome beer. Big Rock Brewery's.. The Grasshopper and Warthog are favourites around here.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
str8jkt wrote:Dunno if its made its way over to Toronto but a local Calgary brewery makes some awesome beer. Big Rock Brewery's.. The Grasshopper and Warthog are favourites around here.
Yup. The Grad House in U Waterloo even has Grasshopper on tap most of the time. It's a pretty good wheat beer. Never had Warthog though.

I don't have an absolute favourite. I like Richards, Keith's, Stella, Hoegaarden, Guiness if I'm in the mood for it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
str8jkt wrote:Dunno if its made its way over to Toronto but a local Calgary brewery makes some awesome beer. Big Rock Brewery's.. The Grasshopper and Warthog are favourites around here.
ah, big rock is from calgary.
maybe i havent given it a fair try, but i totally disliked the grasshopper and think i stopped there. its on par with our local brewery here.. bear beer.
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Guinness, Caffrey's, Waterloo Dark, Tsingtao, any Porter and any 2 4 for $25 or less! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1952 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
Anyone tried the new Labatt's Honey Brown 24 bucks a case for 24?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
18 upvotes
North York
Favs currently available in GTA:
1)Koenig Pils (less hopsy, less yeast)--they had it on sale for 1.70/500ml last week
2)Bitburger
3)Tiger
4)Warsteiner
5)Paulaner
6)Creemore (to throw in a CDN beer)

Oh yeah, neat piece of trivia, Heineken's claim that it's only made in Holland is bogus. Its brewed in Southeast Asia as well under licence (joint venture).
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Best thing is to have multiple favorites and not to be afraid of trying new stuff.

Some good locals include Cameron's Auburn Ale, King Pilsner, Robert Simpson's Confederation Ale, Sgt. Major's IPA, some Mill St. products, Black Oak, most Wellington stuff, F&M Stone Hammer Pilsner, Peculiar.

Most Unibroue stuff is worth a try, too. And a tip of the hat to Big Rock and some of the other goodies from out west.

Cheap beer (Lucky, Steelback, anything less than 25 bucks a case) ain't worth the trouble. If you need a buzz buy something tasty with a higher alcohol content - no not that malt liquor crap.

Try a visit to your local brewer to get some fresh stuff. Cameron's and Black Oak are within a couple of blocks of each other in Oakville. Mill St. is in the Distillery district (downtown T.O.). King is in Nobleton. Robert Simpson in Barrie. Wellington and F&M in Guelph. These guys make some decent beers and deserve your support.
Aug 8, 2001
607 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
for hot summer days lounging on a deck/patio, it's gotta be Moosehead :cheesygri
Sep 24, 2002
130 posts
11 upvotes
although I probably haven't had as many different beers as the people 'round here, I prefer Sleeman's Silver Creek, Rickard's Red, and Big Rock Grasshopper. I'm also one of those student types, so I enjoyed laker red when I wasn't employed :)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
2008 posts
292 upvotes
zalapski wrote:How is the Lakeport? Which brew? I hear their commercials but am somewhat sceptical. Better yet would you continue buying their stuff when you are post-student?

As for me-- Cameron Auburn Ale, Sleemans Cream Ale, and Creemore (for now).
out of the cheap beers I really dont mind lakeport... I go for the honey brew.
I cant say I wouldnt continue to buy it, I really dont find it too be that bad and at a buck a beer it works for me. A lot of my friends like Bohemian, that isnt too bad either.

Im definetly not a beer guy, I love the good stuff whenever I have some extra $$ but I usually stick with the liquor.
Nov 28, 2004
872 posts
moose light, mgd, bud and keiths are my favs. im not much of a spirit drinker.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1418 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Keith, Stella, and Kronenbourg 1664 are my favorites!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1418 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Here is the thread afong56 was talking about. and it was started by me :D
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
my abs. favourite is Hoegaarden. after that i don't really care what's on tap.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
keiths
rickard red
stella
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb
If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.
:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
5 upvotes
1) Great Western Premium Light
2) Great Western Lager
(both above brewed in Saskatoon, SK)
3) Corona
4) Moosehead
5) Big Rock Grasshopper (as mentioned, Calgary beer)