• May 18th, 2019 3:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3654 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto

Favourite daily use camera bag(s)?

Just wondering what kinds of bags you're using to carry your gear on a regular basis...

I'm currently using a LowePro Passport Sling III that I've had a few years, and it's great for mirrorless. Can hold 1 or 2 small primes plus camera, a water bottle, keys, batteries, etc. It's a really odd shape that works slung on the right side. I've also used it on a plane and there's functional pockets for passport + boarding pass. It expands too, which is great.

I recently grabbed a Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13, because I wanted something to hold camera and laptop/tablet. It's got a few really nifty design features, and a great adjustable strap system, but I'm finding the rigidity of the bag a bit awkward, and it just seems a bit big for what I need it. Solid bag but I'm realizing I should've grabbed a Peak Design Sling instead...

What are/were some of your favourite camera bags?
Images
  • lowepro-passport-sling.jpg
  • PD-Everyday-messenger.jpg
Last edited by M1GOmigs on May 6th, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1069 posts
358 upvotes
I have the Ona Bowery in canvas right now. It is small, but it can fit my Nikon D610 with a prime lens like a 85mm + 1 lens or a small camera like Fuji X100 series or an Instax Mini camera.
It is just a tad too small when I also need to add a flash so I wanted to buy the Ona Berlin II but I have being told it is being discontinued so I'm waiting for the next sale on Ona to get the Prince Street in leather.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3654 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote:
May 6th, 2019 2:20 pm
I have the Ona Bowery in canvas right now. It is small, but it can fit my Nikon D610 with a prime lens like a 85mm + 1 lens or a small camera like Fuji X100 series or an Instax Mini camera.
It is just a tad too small when I also need to add a flash so I wanted to buy the Ona Berlin II but I have being told it is being discontinued so I'm waiting for the next sale on Ona to get the Prince Street in leather.
Nice... yeah, I really like the look of Ona bags too, and I actually normally want a bag that has a classic look instead of the nylon and synthetic look of many camera bags... My only gripe is that I wish they had a classic looking bag with some of the modern features (straps, clasps, hidden features etc) of the more techy looking bags.

At one point I grabbed a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 on sale because it reminded me of an Ona-style waxed canvas bag, but had the extra little pockets for things like memory cards, batteries, etc plus had a silent velcro closure system. Ended up returning it because it was kinda ugly and bulky for what it was.

Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1069 posts
358 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 6th, 2019 3:21 pm
Nice... yeah, I really like the look of Ona bags too, and I actually normally want a bag that has a classic look instead of the nylon and synthetic look of many camera bags... My only gripe is that I wish they had a classic looking bag with some of the modern features (straps, clasps, hidden features etc) of the more techy looking bags.

At one point I grabbed a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 on sale because it reminded me of an Ona-style waxed canvas bag, but had the extra little pockets for things like memory cards, batteries, etc plus had a silent velcro closure system. Ended up returning it because it was kinda ugly and bulky for what it was.
My Bowery has 3 pockets. A bigger one on the back and two small in front. The small ones are good for batteries and memory cards and the larger one in the back is fine for like a little note pad.
I guess it's always the same question. You got to choose between form and function. Like jeans or cargo pants lol
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3441 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
I usually carry a Billingham Hadley small but have been running into durability issue with the bag lately
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1021 posts
636 upvotes
Montreal
I have too many bags (I think I have 15-20 bags), here are my favorites:

- Peak Design Everyday Backpack
- Peak Design Sling 10L
- Ona Prince Street
- Pacsafe backpack (Forgot the model)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3654 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote:
May 6th, 2019 4:34 pm
I guess it's always the same question. You got to choose between form and function. Like jeans or cargo pants lol
To be honest, for the most part, I could make do with only a few bag pockets like the Bowery, but when it comes to a camera bag, it's like I'm addicted to little bells and whistles and little purpose-built additions specific for cameras, even though I'm not a professional photographer or anything.
kangmlee wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:47 am
I have too many bags (I think I have 15-20 bags), here are my favorites:

- Peak Design Everyday Backpack
- Peak Design Sling 10L
- Ona Prince Street
- Pacsafe backpack (Forgot the model)
Wow! I can see how easy it is to get into the camera bag rabbit hole though. GAS extends beyond just cameras and lenses...

I'm still relatively new to photography, and haven't amassed a collection of bags yet and a couple of the ones I have were pretty cheap... I really want a Sling 10L but I can't justify the price knowing the bags I have will do the trick.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1021 posts
636 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 7th, 2019 10:15 am
Wow! I can see how easy it is to get into the camera bag rabbit hole though. GAS extends beyond just cameras and lenses...

I'm still relatively new to photography, and haven't amassed a collection of bags yet and a couple of the ones I have were pretty cheap... I really want a Sling 10L but I can't justify the price knowing the bags I have will do the trick.
Yeah this is after I sold/gave many of my bags Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
May 12, 2019
8 posts
2 upvotes
The Think Tank brand makes great bags, they think outside of the box and do designs and details I don't see any other major brand doing. Great stuff, though on the pricier side, definitely buy for long-term use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3654 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote:
May 6th, 2019 2:20 pm
Looks like Henry's has a sale right now, including bags. Prince Street in leather is like $100 off

Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1069 posts
358 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:32 pm
Looks like Henry's has a sale right now, including bags. Prince Street in leather is like $100 off
Thanks for the heads up! I actually saw that this morning as well, but unfortunately, I just ordered the Sony A7 III at Henrys today lol. So I'm a few thousands dollars short for a $400 bag... for now. I often forget the extra cost for buying a new camera (strap, memory cards, screen protector, etc).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1946 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Passport Sling. ($24 only many years ago from Henry's)
Surprisingly comfortable bag due to more wrap around design, plenty of room but not bulky when low in content. Zipper to compress or expend is a useful feature.

My camera gear is only Fujifilm X100 + flash. Plenty comfortable even with my small tripod inside wasn't bad. Without tripod, I can carry water bottles, spare light clothing inside and such.

Again, even with its internal space shape, it is actually useful... in my opinion.

Than again, depending on gear... i use a large fanny pack sling style too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)