• Apr 23rd, 2015 4:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes

Fax over IP software

Hello,

I was looking for a fax software to send and receive fax over internet, either windows or linux based. Nothing fancy, I should be able to send fax to a number and automatically receive on my Canadian number [voip.ms] and may be save it as a pdf file. i am not expecting any high volume of faxes, may be 20-50 pages/month or so.

From my limited understanding I may need a backend service which handles this as well, not sure. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: Hello,

I was looking for a fax software to send and receive fax over internet, either windows or linux based. Nothing fancy, I should be able to send fax to a number and automatically receive on my Canadian number [voip.ms] and may be save it as a pdf file. i am not expecting any high volume of faxes, may be 20-50 pages/month or so.
voip.ms does not technically support fax - doesn't have T.38 support so reception is hit or miss.

As for fax over internet, you'll have to pay for a service (efax, myfax, faxzero, etc.) unless you don't mind your information going across some random gateway.

In terms of software, you may not need anything because fax gateways usually support SMTP unless you have more complex fax needs.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
coolspot wrote: voip.ms does not technically support fax - doesn't have T.38 support so reception is hit or miss.

As for fax over internet, you'll have to pay for a service (efax, myfax, faxzero, etc.) unless you don't mind your information going across some random gateway.

In terms of software, you may not need anything because fax gateways usually support SMTP unless you have more complex fax needs.
Thanks, I thing efax etc may suffice for outbound, what about inbound ? As you said voip.ms is not 100%, how can I setup to receive fax on my voip number ?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
coolspot wrote: Still no T.38 support ... and you have to sign up for another DID :(
It's basically another virtual fax service, you can't use a fax machine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Still no T.38 support
Actually, voip.ms is using T.38, for both incoming and outgoing faxes, on the backend when using their fax portal (beta)
and you have to sign up for another DID
Yes. If you don't want to pay for two DIDs but also want the robustness of a dedicated fax portal that uses T.38 on the backend, use Anveo.

If you just want a DID with T.38, use Freephoneline (with an OBi200/202). You can use a fax machine with FPL, and if you want .pdf, let FPL's answering machine pick up; incoming faxes will be converted to .pdf
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
There are many fax programs that will work with a hardware fax-modem and an analog phone line. But most people find it more convenient to use an internet fax service that does the work for you without any additional equipment or tying up your own phone line. They usually allow you to send any type of digital document to any fax number via the internet fax service (could be Word .doc file, pdf file, jpg/tif image from a scanner etc). For incoming fax they provide you with a dedicated fax number and copy incoming fax to pdf file and email it to you. Normally you pick the area code from the area codes they have available, and they assign you a new fax DID (phone number), but you can also transfer a phone number you already own.

There are lots of different deals, depending on quantity of fax allowed. We use Onesuite Fax, which offers unlimited incoming and outgoing fax for US$2.99/month, plus a few cents/min for long distance on outgoing fax.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your input, this is what I end up doing:

Ordered a voip.ms virtual fax DID, there was no setup/DID ordering fee just 1c/month and then 1c/minute for fax. Then I forwarded my existing voip.ms DID[which I bought for fax use] to the new virtual fax DID and it works as I needed.

inbound:Myfaxnumber > voip.ms virtual fax DID > sent to Myemail
outbound:Myemail > voip.ms virtual fax DID > destination fax.