[Staples] Fax/Printer/Scanner/Copy Epson WorkForce 320 4-in-1 Printer @ Staples

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2010 3:16 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2003
45 posts
13 upvotes

[Staples] Fax/Printer/Scanner/Copy Epson WorkForce 320 4-in-1 Printer @ Staples

Needed a fax. Went to Staples to buy the clearance Canon 4370dn but they were out so I found this uber cheap alternative:

Epson WorkForce 320 4-in-1 Printer

Comes with full ink cartridges worth more than the price of the printer...stupid marketing ploy...damn you Lee Iacocca.
17 replies
Feb 18, 2010
689 posts
60 upvotes
Offer Valid Dec 8 - 14, 2010!
So today's the last day.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1285 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Really good deal, I just read some reviews off testfreaks.com and general user reviews off cnet.
The only concern that appears to be passed around is the chances of recieving a dead/blank LCD.. other than that
it provides speedy sharp sprints and smooth faxes. Sigh.. I bit the bullet on the Epson Artisan 835 from Henry's (twice the price of this),
I hope it'll do my dollar justice.

PS. Epson is top-notch in the Inkjet field, it beats any brandname out there hands and foot down on the floor - pair it up with a set of
quality CISS, and you've got a studio-quality printer + VERY affordable prints.

devilsalad wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 12:04 am
Needed a fax. Went to Staples to buy the clearance Canon 4370dn but they were out so I found this uber cheap alternative:

Epson WorkForce 320 4-in-1 Printer

Comes with full ink cartridges worth more than the price of the printer...stupid marketing ploy...damn you Lee Iacocca.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10726 posts
14379 upvotes
I bought the Epson 323 for $59.99 at Best Buy. So what is the difference between the Epson 320 and 323?
Have a nice day!

Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12488 posts
1742 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the Epson Workforce 633 instead. It's $70 off at $129.93.

Much faster printer, comes with wireless and wired Ethernet, and cheaper cost per page. It also has a much bigger paper tray and a tiltable colour LCD screen, with included memory card reader and USB port. Alternatively, the Workforce 610 is also on sale, at $69.93.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... bid=903892
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... bid=826956

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/CompChart/cha ... ifunctions
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1285 posts
82 upvotes
All of these are cheaper than my Artisan 835 and I'm reading reviews, but generall they yield the
same scoresheet.. Aisde from the already renowned sharpness and clarity of the prints there's;
WiFi, large paper tray, CD label printing, memory card slot etc.. All I'm getting for ~$50 more is a huge
touch-screen panel which I probably don't need.

Any suggestions as to whether I should refund and save the ~$50 for the Workforce series?
I read up the refund policy on Henry's and it appears all shipped orders require customers to pay for return-shipping,
has anyone had experience with this?

LonesomeDove wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 8:23 am
I bought the Epson 323 for $59.99 at Best Buy. So what is the difference between the Epson 320 and 323?
EugW wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 8:29 am
I bought the Epson Workforce 633 instead. It's $70 off at $129.93.

Much faster printer, comes with wireless and wired Ethernet, and cheaper cost per page. It also has a much bigger paper tray and a tiltable colour LCD screen, with included memory card reader and USB port. Alternatively, the Workforce 610 is also on sale, at $69.93.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... bid=903892
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... bid=826956

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/CompChart/cha ... ifunctions
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1374 upvotes
Kanata
Evi7sh wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 8:35 am
All of these are cheaper than my Artisan 835 and I'm reading reviews, but generall they yield the
same scoresheet.. Aisde from the already renowned sharpness and clarity of the prints there's;
WiFi, large paper tray, CD label printing, memory card slot etc.. All I'm getting for ~$50 more is a huge
touch-screen panel which I probably don't need.

Any suggestions as to whether I should refund and save the ~$50 for the Workforce series?
I read up the refund policy on Henry's and it appears all shipped orders require customers to pay for return-shipping,
has anyone had experience with this?

Isn't the Artisan for printing great digital prints, and less of an all-around office workforce?
Jan 8, 2005
638 posts
77 upvotes
Windsor
Captain Snazzypants wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 9:58 am
Isn't the Artisan for printing great digital prints, and less of an all-around office workforce?

Have been using artisan 700 for a while now and just ordered 835 mostly b/c of duplexing and to have extra CD/DVD printing capacity. It prints great pictures. Nothing wrong with using it as an AIO in a home office set up (with CISS) but if you run busy office, I am sure there better machines out there.

Artisan 835 @ $149 (plus PM possibility) thread here
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12488 posts
1742 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm... I didn't think of the WorkForce line as photo printers. Sure they can probably do somewhat decent prints, but I'll continue to use my Canon i960 for photo prints. The print quality will likely still be better, but just as importantly, it has a separate feeder for photo paper.

With my Epson WorkForce 633, to feed in photo paper you have to remove the paper tray and put in photo paper. It's just not designed for flexibility for paper types.

Dunno about the Artisan 835.

P.S. The main reason I got the WorkForce was because I needed a new fax machine and wanted something with reasonably inexpensive general black text printing, not because I wanted a new photo printer. I also wanted to save space to get rid of my scanner, but I'll keep my old scanner in storage for the times I need to do critical scanning. I would have preferred a laser printer with scanner and fax, but the cheap ones aren't really cheap on a per page basis, and the good ones cost way more than the WorkForce line. The WorkForce line is a great all-in-one with fax for a lower volume home office.

However, the cheaper model WorkForce printers have higher per-page ink costs, and lower ink cartridge capacities. My 633 came with the super-sized 127-line cartridges in the box, which partially explains the higher cost. The much lower volume standard cartridges are the 126 line, but even the 126 ink cartridges are still bigger than what comes with the 320.

Epson 320:
* Epson provides ink cartridge yields based on the ISO / IEC 24711 and 24712 standard for ink jet products, which excludes the first installed cartridges.
* Standard-capacity Black (T125120): About 230 pages
* Standard-capacity Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (T125220, T125320, T125420): About 305 pages
* Moderate-use Black (T124120): About 170 pages
* Moderate-use Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (T124220, T124320, T124420): About 170 pages per color
Epson 633:
* Epson provides ink cartridge yields based on the ISO / IEC 24711 and 24712 standard for ink jet products, which excludes the first installed cartridges.
* Extra High-capacity Black (T127120): About 1000 pages
* Extra High-capacity Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (T127220, T127320, T127420): About 765 pages per color
* High-capacity Black (T126120): About 420 pages
* High-capacity Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (T126220, T126320, T126420): About 485 pages per colour
You cannot put the larger capacity cartridges in the 320, as it won't take them.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1285 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks for all the reassuring and detailed comments, much appreciated.

Guess I'll stay with my 835.. I was just unsure whether the value's there for the extra ~$50 bucks.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1189 posts
56 upvotes
Woodbridge
I am going to pick up the 835, I have multiple computers at home and being able to put in on the network and have multiple devices be able to print to it, is a huge bonus over the Workforce 320.
Aug 28, 2007
275 posts
47 upvotes
camber wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 12:39 pm
I am going to pick up the 835, I have multiple computers at home and being able to put in on the network and have multiple devices be able to print to it, is a huge bonus over the Workforce 320.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/eps ... e5723aen02

workforce 323 at BB for $49.99, has build in wifi. same price and more feature.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1189 posts
56 upvotes
Woodbridge
^^^That's pretty good one too, would prefer it to the 320.

However, it is much more basic then the 835 but much cheaper. Depends on your usage and budget I guess.
Aug 5, 2007
25 posts
Summerside
I went with the Artisan 835 from Henry's also. Free shipping too. It seemed like a great long term printer for my use. I like the idea of Ethernet and wi-fi a because I won't need to rely on one of my systems being on just to do printing. I really wanted to have the option of direct CD/DVD printing as well. I hope I won't regret the purchase but the majority of reviews I have found are quite good.

Can anyone point me to a good quality/value CISS system for the 835?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1285 posts
82 upvotes
There are a handful of sellers of CISS systems on eBay and sometimes in local stores specializing in Ink refill service,
but when it comes to quality you really have to try them out before settling on final judgements.

I usually buy from this seller in QC, met him when I first had my RX595 back in 2005.. ever since then I went with
the Artisan 710 and now the 835.. I'm going back to him since his CISS comes with prevacumed cartridges and
OEM-like ink that does not leak and dries pretty fast - it's safe to say I've put it to vigorous testing as I print
100-300 photos at a time.

This is his e-mail, chaofeng.wang@hotmail.com I would recommend ordering through Paypal for your
first time, but I order through wire/EMT for additional discounts (althought his prices are already the lowest).
I think the QC seller on eBay is him if you're wary, will confirm.

All in all, with a quality CISS system you'll last a year or two depending on your use but you'll save hundreds of $ throughout.
One thing to keep in mind though is - the setup and refill moments can essentially be very frustrating, you'll have to do
a few "print tests" to get rid of the bubbles (the ones that enter during refill), and "chip resets" if your printer doesn't
recognize the cartridges, it's sort of the price to pay for using non-manufacturer inks.

ditchy1 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 5:32 pm
I went with the Artisan 835 from Henry's also. Free shipping too. It seemed like a great long term printer for my use. I like the idea of Ethernet and wi-fi a because I won't need to rely on one of my systems being on just to do printing. I really wanted to have the option of direct CD/DVD printing as well. I hope I won't regret the purchase but the majority of reviews I have found are quite good.

Can anyone point me to a good quality/value CISS system for the 835?
× < >