None
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 12:01 pm
re: potential of growth
1. share of mobile ad revenue has barely moved since last Q. it's getting mature and since most of the users have mobile app, growth here will not be explosive (unless FB keeps adding new users).
2. payments/fees for in-app purchases will suffer as users migrate to mobile and FB will not get its cut (GOOG and APPL will).
3. Ad/payments revenue solely depends on teens still loving FB. If teens decide it's not cool anymore, guess what will happen.
4. FB business (ads/payments) is up against GOOG model. GOOG is no slouch, they have talent and means to innovate. FB is stepping on GOOG toes and stealing some of the ad revenue.
cool. well you have your reasons. a lot of assumptions but your stance isn't totally unreasonable.

but i like what fb is doing with instagram, whatsapp, etc. I like the video ads coming up

I have a sad story, this morning when i checked fb i came across a bunch of condolence postings on my friends fb page. she was 30, had a 2 year old baby boy.... I wasn't close with her but through fb I learned of her passing. fb is a tool

I realized they've now hit a critical mass - people can't simply leave en-mass. cool or uncool, new teenagers or not, it's a great way to keep up with old acquaintances. there's tremendous value in that.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12547 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
ItechJester wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 10:01 pm
cool. well you have your reasons. a lot of assumptions but your stance isn't totally unreasonable.

but i like what fb is doing with instagram, whatsapp, etc. I like the video ads coming up

I have a sad story, this morning when i checked fb i came across a bunch of condolence postings on my friends fb page. she was 30, had a 2 year old baby boy.... I wasn't close with her but through fb I learned of her passing. fb is a tool

I realized they've now hit a critical mass - people can't simply leave en-mass. cool or uncool, new teenagers or not, it's a great way to keep up with old acquaintances. there's tremendous value in that.
You're not really keeping up with old acquaintances. You're just wasting your time being a voyeur on other people's lives for hours every day/week. Keeping up with people involves human interaction like getting together, visiting, going for dinner, etc., not sitting in front of a screen.

It's like those slideshows of people's trips I had to sit through when I was a kid. I got better things to do with my time like actually seeing my friends.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 10:46 am
You're not really keeping up with old acquaintances. You're just wasting your time being a voyeur on other people's lives for hours every day/week. Keeping up with people involves human interaction like getting together, visiting, going for dinner, etc., not sitting in front of a screen.

It's like those slideshows of people's trips I had to sit through when I was a kid. I got better things to do with my time like actually seeing my friends.
Yeah that’s a great point. It’s important to spend time with people the old fashioned way; especially those of us who are too busy for trivial things.

But that’s not everyone. Lots of people make time to relax, spend 5-10 minutes a day to check social media (ie facebook, twitter, RFD…)

Better things to do with our time
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4947 posts
865 upvotes
Scarborough
It's good for people that like to stalk haha
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12547 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
ItechJester wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 6:42 pm
Yeah that’s a great point. It’s important to spend time with people the old fashioned way; especially those of us who are too busy for trivial things.

But that’s not everyone. Lots of people make time to relax, spend 5-10 minutes a day to check social media (ie facebook, twitter, RFD…)

Better things to do with our time
Spending 5 to 10 minutes a day on Facebook is like trying to eat one Pringles. Just doesn't happen. It's always way more.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5365 posts
1216 upvotes
GTA
eonibm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2015 12:01 am
Spending 5 to 10 minutes a day on Facebook is like trying to eat one Pringles. Just doesn't happen. It's always way more.
Thanks, now I know why I f@cking hate Pringles! :)
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2015 12:01 am
Thanks I guess? For helping put my kids through college?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
$100+ by the fall.

Oculus will be big next year, as will instagram monetization..... going be to a great next couple of years!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16229 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto
ItechJester wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2015 6:03 pm
$100+ by the fall.

Oculus will be big next year, as will instagram monetization..... going be to a great next couple of years!
You know it was $99.25 2 days ago right? More like $100+ next week :razz:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2015 6:18 pm
You know it was $99.25 2 days ago right? More like $100+ next week :razz:
Yeah I know, but ER is next week. And you just never know with ER for tech stocks...... plus I wanted to be conservative because once I post it on RFD it's here permanently! :D

I've had this baby for a while, no intention of selling anytime soon. going to continue to ride this bad boy! Choo Choo!
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2281 posts
88 upvotes
so that was a boring call. they beat top & bottom

seems like it's business as usual at FB HQ. They keep making money. Slight dip AH but I don't expect that to hold. Maybe market was expecting too much?
Jan 14, 2013
398 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Read mostly positive expectations even after AH dip. Hoping that dip is erased by morning and we start seeing some raised PTs. Read a couple analyst remarks that expect is to "blow through $100" so here's hoping
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21696 posts
3860 upvotes
Waterloo
My reply in the other thread
what-did-you-buy-what-might-you-buy-136 ... st23177163

FB after hours is another madness
from initial drop to $90.50 and back to $97 during CC and now below $94 again

Total manipulation for/by traders. Buy-and-Hold investors should just ignore <-- I keep telling myself that, especially now everyone's afraid of pulling a $TWTR screwup

Someone posted this on StockTwits, look at the move after hours
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K