Feature Request: Original Posters can lock their own thread

I think that would be handy :)
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
If OPs were given the ability to lock their own threads then would they be given the ability to unlock their own threads?

If so, there should be an exception if a moderator were to lock an OP's thread, in that an OP can undo his/her own lock but not a modlock. Because if a moderator locked an OPs thread for, say, attacking or for posting incendiary materials, it is counter-intuitive to give the OP lock/unlocking privileges because they can just undo the lock and continue the thread.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9156 posts
14179 upvotes
I think this would be a dreadful idea.

If the thread started serves no use it fades away or is locked due to some violation.

How frustrating would it be to be enjoying a debate and then have the OP lock it because they did not like the direction or were just being controlling.

Trolls would love it - they would start more threads! And shut them down at the most opportune time.

No, bad idea.

If you start a thread it is an invitation for others to use it as a point of conversation. It would be inappropriate to then just shut it down and kick the guests out of the house. Best not to start the thread to begin with.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3927 posts
2398 upvotes
Burnaby
ishfish wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 11:05 am

If the thread started serves no use it fades away or is locked due to some violation.

How frustrating would it be to be enjoying a debate and then have the OP lock it because they did not like the direction or were just being controlling.

Trolls would love it - they would start more threads! And shut them down at the most opportune time.

No, bad idea.

If you start a thread it is an invitation for others to use it as a point of conversation. It would be inappropriate to then just shut it down and kick the guests out of the house. Best not to start the thread to begin with.
Yup. You are right.

There is nothing wrong with the current method of just asking a mod or admin to close it for you -- some argue that PMing an admin seems to be the only effective way.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
ishfish wrote:

No, bad idea.

Agreed. Just because you're the OP doesn't mean you own the thread. Regardless of who started it, it's an open discussion thread on a public discussion forum. You don't get to control how it goes just because you came up with the idea for it.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14522 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 12:50 pm
Agreed. Just because you're the OP doesn't mean you own the thread. Regardless of who started it, it's an open discussion thread on a public discussion forum. You don't get to control how it goes just because you came up with the idea for it.
Exactly. And the mods do a great job to begin with.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17113 posts
682 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
ishfish wrote:
Yes, this is the forum equivalent of sticking your fingers into your ears and screaming loudly when a debate doesn't go the way you are expecting... there are a good number of trolls here who would make rabid use of such a "feature", if it were implemented.

At least now, when a borderline-troll posts a dumb thread, he or she can get a well-deserved smackdown from more mature users.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1746 upvotes
As a user/member Im kind of on a fence about this one.. What happens if a long standing and useful thread, or a thread with a firesale is suddenly deleted by the OP? Or maybe the thread backfires and he suddenly wants to get rid of it, eventhough the discussion may still be important for others to continue? :confused:
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9156 posts
14179 upvotes
I have noticed recently in OT one can request that a moderator will close a thread upon request. And it is done.

It is annoying.

It is like being kicked out of a restaurant after your first bite. If you do not want patrons don't open a restaurant.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3010 posts
115 upvotes
East York
I think it's a good and bad idea - I think users having the option to close/delete their own threads in the BST boards would be useful but everywhere else I think it could be highly disruptive...

People could abuse the system by posting controversial posts i.e flame-baiting posts and then quickly close them before anyone can reply
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
+1 @DREW87; however, it could be sometime before the mods actually do lock the thread and by that time, the trolls would've already had their say. I've seen this happen countless times.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10077 posts
625 upvotes
Mississauga
mrperfect wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 3:59 pm
As a user/member Im kind of on a fence about this one.. What happens if a long standing and useful thread, or a thread with a firesale is suddenly deleted by the OP? Or maybe the thread backfires and he suddenly wants to get rid of it, eventhough the discussion may still be important for others to continue? :confused:
What about threads where the OP wants a genuine discussion and people start trolling and the thread gets locked? Why not just delete/ban the people who troll and let the thread stay open? it's the same concept.