Art and Photography

Features nice to have on a camera for YouTube Videos or Vlogging?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 4:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40196 posts
9441 upvotes

Features nice to have on a camera for YouTube Videos or Vlogging?

This was written in mid-2016 so not sure why it's called best in 2017:
The 15 Best Cameras for YouTube Videos in 2017
https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/best- ... r-youtube/

Looks like the G9 X MK II will be released soon and it's like the RX100 series only at a much lower price point and without 4K:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-G9-MK-II-B ... b_title_ce

What features in a camera would be your top picks? DSLR is just too cumbersome for shooting outdoors on a tripod (I think).

When would the following be better?

Action cams are designed and marketed as cameras that can be strapped to your chest when you go skydiving, taken underwater, or suction-cupped to the front of your surfboard. But that’s not all they’re good for. Action cameras are small in size but pack a huge punch when it comes to features, video quality, and durability. If you are the type of vlogger who wants to take video of yourself swimming in a waterfall—and then talk about it on your vlog afterward—an action cam may be perfect for you.

Camcorders are designed to give you everything you need to take amazing videos. This makes them lightweight, extremely portable, and perfect for people who want to focus strictly on videography and not photography.

Not for me but asking on my daughter's behalf. Better for her to keep busy with a hobby.
25 replies
Apr 9, 2012
273 posts
112 upvotes
Maybe she could also ask the YouTube vloggers themselves & or just search YouTube to see if there are any tutorials by others? I've seen videos that some of them describe what they use & some seem very approachable? May as well go to the current source that is using the technology.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40196 posts
9441 upvotes
Thanks.

I told her not to go for the $500 T5i Rebel a colleague was selling because it's from late 2013 and it must be bulky.
Apr 9, 2012
273 posts
112 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 12:27 pm
Thanks.

I told her not to go for the $500 T5i Rebel a colleague was selling because it's from late 2013 and it must be bulky.
A quick search of YouTube brought up these videos. It's a starting point that she could then do more & more & more searches to narrow down what you want. AND there are a few 2016 / 2017 topics. It also features a couple of VERY famous vloggers showing how they do it, including that now famous & rich guy Casey Nasek? (who I find annoying) with a video on how he does things. Plus, ask the other people on YouTube of topics that she likes on what they use to make their videos? YouTube Vlogging Equipment for Beginners

Google would be another way to search for current info? But really, I think that you'd have more than enough info above.

Maybe the Sony series, like the A6000? It's smaller? Search DPReview.com for cameras that have the video capabilities that you are looking for (if not covered in the many YouTube tutorials above). But as a beginner, why make it too complicated? Why not just get her use her cell phone & in another thread here, the fellow offered up the gear that he chose & asked for comments. Could be a good teen lesson too in doing more with less & being creative in learning the same. Unless her "vlogging" needed highly specialized gear, why put the cart before the horse? Lots of other things to learn, like acting / presentation / scripting / knowledge of the subject before throwing complicated gear into the mix? But with a teen, easier said than done I guess.
Last edited by Mtnviewer on Jan 25th, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40196 posts
9441 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 1:15 pm
A quick search of YouTube brought up these videos. It's a starting point that she could then do more & more & more searches to narrow down what you want. Plus, ask the people that made the videos? YouTube Vlogging Equipment for Beginners

Maybe the Sony series, like the A6000? It's smaller? But as a beginner, why make it too complicated? Why not just get her use her cell phone & in another thread here, the fellow offered up the gear that he chose & asked for comments. Could be a good teen lesson too in doing more with less & being creative in learning the same. Unless her "vlogging" needed highly specialized gear, why put the cart before the horse? Lots of other things to learn, like acting / presentation / scripting / knowledge of the subject before throwing complicated gear into the mix? But with a teen, easier said than done I guess.
She mentioned photography in Toronto and vlogging. I told her why not use your iPhone 6s in the mean time.

We already sold our cameras cause no one has been using them with reasonable frequency as we all just stick to our smartphones -- really old Sony 350A, RX100-MK4 and a m4/3 and an inexpensive telephoto Nikon P&S. I

Gadgets get pretty outdated quickly, I'm surprised I was able to sell my old Sony to amazon.com last year for around $300 USD, haha.

I wonder how those dual rear cameras are like on the iPhone 7 or competing Android phones.
Apr 9, 2012
273 posts
112 upvotes
Well yes, some gadgets to get dated quickly but I'm still using a DSLR from 2002 that I can do more with than most people with today's best gear. It's also important to have knowledge & experience, not just gear. None of my gear is THE most current, otherwise I'd be broke trying to update (Oh wait, I am broke anyway). CaseyNeistat probably started with a cell phone. Lovingly & creatively on your part, give her obstacles to overcome with creativity, not solutions that she will just take for granted? Just say No, but also be encouraging that there are other ways to do the same thing. New gear can be a crutch & distraction vs a solution.

And she could watch this: How to vlog She sounds like a teen girl to me but seems to answer most of your questions with referrals to the hell of more & more videos. OUCH!!!!
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
Forget about DSLRs and Canon compacts.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ2500, an amazing camera with bad marketing. Video quality is superior to any Canon DSLR.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Dec 1, 2005
701 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
Lok (formerly of DRTV) talks about the Canon M5 as a vlogging cam:

could be an option
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1346 posts
333 upvotes
Compact convenience is key and IMO is more important than having a full frame DSLR or 1 inch sensor $$$$ RX100 style cam everyone gushes about. The quality you can get from recent phones and action cams and point-n-shoots is superb now days.
For 2017 my top "affordable convenient" camera pics are:
Compact Travel Zoom - Sony HX80 or HX90 or find older HX60 or HX50. I personally use a HX50 and LOVE it, just wish it has a flip out screen and mic input. The 80 and 90 have the flip screen.
I highly appreciate the 30x zoom without having to swap lenses. Having that much reach is very useful when needed.

Premium Action cam with optical image stabilization - Forget GoPro.. look at Sony's new action cams. The X3000 and AS300 have REAL OPTICAL IMAGE STABIILZATION in a TINY body. Its damn impressive, and they have mic input. See iPhonedo review video on youtube about that.

Affordable Action cam without image stabilization - Polaroid CUBE (original NOT plus), or Xiaomi Yi action cam

USE YOUR PHONE! Buy a recent model iPhone or mid/top tier Android and get some accessories to use it with tripods, mounts, or whatever you need.
Always in search of a great deal....
[self promotion removed]
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
Netcruzer wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 11:32 am
Compact convenience is key and IMO is more important than having a full frame DSLR or 1 inch sensor $$$$ RX100 style cam everyone gushes about. The quality you can get from recent phones and action cams and point-n-shoots is superb now days.
For 2017 my top "affordable convenient" camera pics are:
Compact Travel Zoom - Sony HX80 or HX90 or find older HX60 or HX50. I personally use a HX50 and LOVE it, just wish it has a flip out screen and mic input. The 80 and 90 have the flip screen.
I highly appreciate the 30x zoom without having to swap lenses. Having that much reach is very useful when needed.

Premium Action cam with optical image stabilization - Forget GoPro.. look at Sony's new action cams. The X3000 and AS300 have REAL OPTICAL IMAGE STABIILZATION in a TINY body. Its damn impressive, and they have mic input. See iPhonedo review video on youtube about that.

Affordable Action cam without image stabilization - Polaroid CUBE (original NOT plus), or Xiaomi Yi action cam

USE YOUR PHONE! Buy a recent model iPhone or mid/top tier Android and get some accessories to use it with tripods, mounts, or whatever you need.
Wow there... Phones are not superb out of the box. They requires special apps and more post-work to get close in dynamic range of good cameras like the FZ1000 and FZ2500.

Polroid Cube has horrible image quality. And anybody that wants to get serious with Youtube should buy a GoPro over a Sony. The flat profile on GoPros are excellent for great post work.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1346 posts
333 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 12:39 pm
Wow there... Phones are not superb out of the box. They requires special apps and more post-work to get close in dynamic range of good cameras like the FZ1000 and FZ2500.

Polroid Cube has horrible image quality. And anybody that wants to get serious with Youtube should buy a GoPro over a Sony. The flat profile on GoPros are excellent for great post work.
You just recommended a $1000-$1500 camera for someone wanting to start a Vlog? This is RFD, start in the value range or with what you have already and then maybe work your way up to something that expensive and complicated someday.
Horrible image quality from a CUBE? I disagree.. Gotta think about value per dollar here. I just uploaded an in car vlog today that used only a Polaroid Cube and Xiaomi Yi and I think it turned out pretty well. I also talk about the new SONY action cams and how they have real optical image stabilization... better than GoPro.

Yes a $500+ Action Cam would have looked better, but is it worth it? Not when just starting out. Learning the filming techniques and editing is more important IMO.
I try to do YouTube without spending thousands on gear. No big expensive cameras, and no multi hundred dollar editing programs are needed. WANT yes, NEEDED no.
[self promotion removed]
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
Netcruzer wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 11:51 am
You just recommended a $1000-$1500 camera for someone wanting to start a Vlog? This is RFD, start in the value range or with what you have already and then maybe work your way up to something that expensive and complicated someday.
Horrible image quality from a CUBE? I disagree.. Gotta think about value per dollar here. I just uploaded an in car vlog today that used only a Polaroid Cube and Xiaomi Yi and I think it turned out pretty well. I also talk about the new SONY action cams and how they have real optical image stabilization... better than GoPro.

Yes a $500+ Action Cam would have looked better, but is it worth it? Not when just starting out. Learning the filming techniques and editing is more important IMO.

I try to do YouTube without spending thousands on gear. No big expensive cameras, and no multi hundred dollar editing programs are needed. WANT yes, NEEDED no.
Did he mention any budget? He didn't and spending $1000 on a camera is not a lot at all... It's like saying a $30,000 car (like yours) is an expensive luxury that is not necessary for just driving.

You're also assuming he has the time to learn all techniques and editing.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1346 posts
333 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 12:44 pm
Did he mention any budget? He didn't and spending $1000 on a camera is not a lot at all... It's like saying a $30,000 car (like yours) is an expensive luxury that is not necessary for just driving.

No budget mentioned but did you see the last line in the OP's post?
"Not for me but asking on my daughter's behalf. Better for her to keep busy with a hobby."

I understand you are a professional photographer and what you suggested are fantastic versatile cameras, I just think that's overkill for starting with.
[self promotion removed]
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
Netcruzer wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 2:04 pm
No budget mentioned but did you see the last line in the OP's post?
"Not for me but asking on my daughter's behalf. Better for her to keep busy with a hobby."

I understand you are a professional photographer and what you suggested are fantastic versatile cameras, I just think that's overkill for starting with.
We don't know how old she is :P

She might be a stay-at-home mom for maternity leave
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40196 posts
9441 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 12:44 pm

16. She was willing to spend $500 on a Rebel T3i or something like that. I told her I'm not advancing the fund. :)