Art and Photography

Features nice to have on a camera for YouTube Videos or Vlogging?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 4:21 pm
Aug 1, 2010
612 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 2:14 pm
16. She was willing to spend $500 on a Rebel T3i or something like that. I told her I'm not advancing the fund. :)
Then the Panasonic Lumix GF7 might be worth checking it out.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2766 posts
337 upvotes
Keep it cheap! I wouldn't suggesting investing big bucks until you gain some traction on YouTube... the last thing you want is to drop $500 on a camera and 4 months later you decide to quit YouTube.
Reviews, How-To's, Technology.
YouTube: blackdragon1299
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2842 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder... Do we actually have any known YouTubers on RFD?
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Dec 5, 2012
17 posts
3 upvotes
blackdragon12 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 3:30 pm
Keep it cheap! I wouldn't suggesting investing big bucks until you gain some traction on YouTube... the last thing you want is to drop $500 on a camera and 4 months later you decide to quit YouTube.
I feel like this is the worst advice you could give anyone on any startup in terms of a company or hobby.

You should always give something a serious shot if you actually take a hobby, business or anything else seriously. If you are truly trying to start a youtube channel you don't use your phone or a 5 year old camera as you aren't giving it a real chance and it will never go anywhere. You don't need to buy the best camera in the world but you need something decent or you will not compete with anyone.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2425 posts
967 upvotes
Calgaryish
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 11:26 am
What features in a camera would be your top picks? DSLR is just too cumbersome for shooting outdoors on a tripod (I think).
iPhones shoot great video. Just saying. :D

Stuff to have:

1. A microphone jack. People don't understand how critically important good audio is, and you can get good affordable clip-on mics for relatively little (as in "around $20"). Some will work with iPhones. Bonus marks for equipment with a level meter that appears on the viewfinder screen and also a headphone jack for monitoring audio if someone's you shooting outside.

2. An LCD viewfinder that can be flipped around so you can see how things are framed when you're shooting yourself.

Apart from that, anything goes. It's nice to be able to lock exposure or white balance, but these aren't things the average teen is going to think about. Good lighting really matters. Shooting a great video in a dark basement corner is just... sad. It's also worth looking teleprompter apps for tablets. Some are free, and it can really add a polished touch to intros.
Aug 1, 2010
612 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 10:11 am
I wonder... Do we actually have any known YouTubers on RFD?
No, because apparently, the majority feels like they can grow on Youtube using only cheap equipment.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2766 posts
337 upvotes
snowskate132 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:18 pm
I feel like this is the worst advice you could give anyone on any startup in terms of a company or hobby.

You should always give something a serious shot if you actually take a hobby, business or anything else seriously. If you are truly trying to start a youtube channel you don't use your phone or a 5 year old camera as you aren't giving it a real chance and it will never go anywhere. You don't need to buy the best camera in the world but you need something decent or you will not compete with anyone.
Completely disagree here. You don't need high end equipment to produce content if that's what you love doing. Not everyone is in a position to drop $500 on a camera, but most people have a smartphone capable of shooting at least 1080p. So, I stick by what I said - don't go dropping big dollars on equipment until you're in it for the long haul.
Aug 1, 2010
612 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
blackdragon12 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 10:19 am
but most people have a smartphone capable of shooting at least 1080p
Resolution does not define quality
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2766 posts
337 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 3:23 pm
Resolution does not define quality
That is true - but it is a factor in determining quality. Keep in mind, not everyone has the budget to drop 500-1000 on a "camera", when the smartphone camera these days are more than sufficient. Check out popular YouTubers - most of them started off with their phone, back when phone cameras were terible.
Aug 1, 2010
612 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
blackdragon12 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 3:38 pm
That is true - but it is a factor in determining quality. Keep in mind, not everyone has the budget to drop 500-1000 on a "camera", when the smartphone camera these days are more than sufficient. Check out popular YouTubers - most of them started off with their phone, back when phone cameras were terible.
Yes those Youtubers were 15 years old.

I don't understand how people are willing to spend $30k on a car but refuses to spend $1000 in the highly competitive world of vlogging.
Dec 5, 2012
17 posts
3 upvotes
Very true but you also will not be successful in 99% of cases if you don't atleast keep up to the standard of the vast majority. If you don't take it seriously at all and are just in it for fun then sure use your phone it's for your own entertainment but if you want to actually make a channel that can become successful then spend a little money.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel