Careers

Federal government hiring process - can you negotiate vacation?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 9:34 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:08 pm
I can assure you that people are let go during probation more frequently than is believed. And contrary to the widely held belief that you cannot be fired, people are terminated from the Federal Public Service. You may wish to view the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations and Employment Board and search on terminations and probation. A quick search of the Federal Court website will also show lots of terminations that make their way through the court system.
Thanks for this resource, I've been poking around. I found that there were 10-15 terminations/year which is actually fewer terminations than what my company of 200 does every year! It's only 0.01% of the fed gov workforce being laid off - basically nothing. Unless I'm reading things wrong?
For "rejection on probation", there are about 3 cases per year, but 0 since 2015. So again, unless I'm reading things wrong (which I could be!!), basically no one gets let go unless something pretty extreme happened (like forging medical certificates, etc).
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:04 pm
Keep in mind that you don't have to save for your RRSPs but you'll get your pension deductions removed at the source. My pension contributions are about 10% of my gross pay.

It can be frustrating to work in the Government too. Obviously it varies but typically, you don't work with cutting edge stuff. In contrast to what you mention, you do have to work with some people that don't know what they are doing and / or don't care about the job.
Awww that's too bad about the pension contribution. I guess there's no free lunch. Still a great deal though!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1661 posts
1134 upvotes
jacolantern wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:53 am
Thanks for this resource, I've been poking around. I found that there were 10-15 terminations/year which is actually fewer terminations than what my company of 200 does every year! It's only 0.01% of the fed gov workforce being laid off - basically nothing. Unless I'm reading things wrong?
For "rejection on probation", there are about 3 cases per year, but 0 since 2015. So again, unless I'm reading things wrong (which I could be!!), basically no one gets let go unless something pretty extreme happened (like forging medical certificates, etc).
You need to consider that there are lots of people who just do not seek redress and even those that do, many are settled prior to getting to the formal route.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1661 posts
1134 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:04 pm
It can be frustrating to work in the Government too. Obviously it varies but typically, you don't work with cutting edge stuff. In contrast to what you mention, you do have to work with some people that don't know what they are doing and / or don't care about the job.
I will echo that you will not work with cutting edge technology. You will be amazed at just old the technology is. The gov't can't even create a standard email address or pay their employees on time and correctly.

For me, the greatest frustration was the constant barrage of change initiatives just for the sake of change. It is exhausting and disrupting with very little changing with the way the work is performed in the end. A lot of effort and work goes into changing things to remain the same.

Add to that frequent changes in the supervisors/management/executive ranks. I remember an employee asking me during a training session I was delivering how to deal with the fact that she could not provide a recent performance appraisal or supervisory reference has she had had 7 different supervisors in less than 5 years. Whenever she asked any for a reference, the response was that they didn't feel comfortable providing one as they did not supervise her long enough.