[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3796 posts
16396 upvotes
TORONTO

Fedex or Canada Post: What is better?

Hello,

I am the owner of etsy shop and I have to ship frequently within Canada as well as International orders. I am not that happy with Canada post. The cost is high, and the delivery times are bad. I have heard from a few people that Fedex is better, in terms of cost as well as delivery times. For me personally, cost matters most. I do not mind if the delivery time is a bit slow, but the shipping should cost me less. Ofcourse if the customer wants a fast delivery, I will definitely do that. r
So according to your experience, what is better, Fedex or Canada post.

Also, do you ship with any other services? Please let me know.

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1579 posts
57 upvotes
What's frequently? There's other choices out there for shipping, Purolator, UPS, DHL, TNT... the list goes on

Compared to CP, Fedex is quite expensive.

Your best bet is to call each of them, get a hold of a sales rep. And have them tender for you. Setting up an account with them will always be cheaper than walking in. And depending on your situation, can be tailored for you.
Dec 10, 2011
194 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I'm considering FedEx now too, only because one of my suppliers is sending me a shipment with a really low shipping rate compared to my other suppliers and it's through FedEx. I'd say look into it, I'll let you know what kind of quote I get.

What is your Etsy store btw? I like shopping on there :)
Dec 15, 2011
147 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
My understanding is when you ship to & from the US via a courier the receiver will be hit with brokerage fees on all shipments. I've always used CP for this reason and plus it is way more convenient for me to drop off the packages at the post office or in to the mail box if they fit. I find that CP's small package fees are reasonable. No tracking # is provided but there is $100 insurance included.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1748 posts
442 upvotes
Two primary reasons I use Canada Post are:
1) Ability to deliver to PO Boxes and Rural Routes.
2) If my customer is not home, they may simply pick up the parcel at their local post office, instead of a FedEx depot which is typically quite a distance away.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21462 posts
1514 upvotes
Aurora
Get an eShipper account, they compare all the options and because they do the volume, you will get the cheapest price

Canada Post will definitely be cheaper than FedEx, but eShipper closes the gap.

BTW: All the major courriers pick up for free. The only exception is Canada Post
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3796 posts
16396 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks everyone!

I am honestly looking for sources that are reasonable to my pocket, and provide good service as well!
Jan 25, 2010
375 posts
25 upvotes
Montr
I'd recommend www.flagshipcompany.com
They'd compare FedEx/Purolator/UPS and give you the lowest rate.

I used to be with eShipper but their invoicing gave me such a headache let alone to say I was worried about what'd happen if I ever get audited, so I switched.
Mar 25, 2009
50 posts
Toronto
I've had a couple bad experiences with Canada post. My shipments did not reach it's destination and unfortunately on one occasion it was within Ontario but one was international. Delivery time to US was very slow on a number of occasion but the price was reasonable.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2004
2169 posts
211 upvotes
fed ex will be double to quadruple the cost of canada post.
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
38 upvotes
To answer OP Fedex is better, CP costs less. I am shipping for 20 years and tried all of them. For last 4-5 years we are with FedEx and FedEx Ground.
It all depends what kind of value you are shipping. If it is of any value like 50-80 bucks or more I would use Fedex Ground or Purolator ground. Purolator is cheaper for rural areas.
If value is less than 20 dollars and you can afford to lose something sometimes I would take CP. I think they are not doing enough to attract businesses. They are still very expensive compared to USPS. But that is another issue.
Aug 27, 2012
3 posts
MISSISSAUGA
What approximate percentage off the FedEx list rates do you receive?
Sean_A wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 7:33 pm
I'd recommend www.flagshipcompany.com
They'd compare FedEx/Purolator/UPS and give you the lowest rate.

I used to be with eShipper but their invoicing gave me such a headache let alone to say I was worried about what'd happen if I ever get audited, so I switched.
Jan 25, 2010
375 posts
25 upvotes
Montr
BorderRunner wrote:
Aug 28th, 2012 8:01 pm
I don't know about Toronto, but a small package (say 6 x 6 x 6, 2-3 lbs) would cost me about $8.50 before taxes to ship within Montreal or to the surrounding, or even to some business addresses in Toronto.
Jan 25, 2010
375 posts
25 upvotes
Montr
BorderRunner wrote:
Aug 28th, 2012 8:01 pm
Sean_A wrote:
Aug 31st, 2012 9:07 pm
I don't know about Toronto, but a small package (say 6 x 6 x 6, 2-3 lbs) would cost me about $8.50 before taxes to ship within Montreal or to the surrounding, or even to some business addresses in Toronto.

OK I just got a quote for you. From Montreal to a postcode in a commercial area of Ajax Ontario, a 6 x 6 x 6 box weighing 5 lbs costs $7.63 before taxes, $8.62 tax included.
Compare that to what you get from your FedEx and decide. Let me know if you'd like me to test out other routes.
× < >