None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2795 posts
260 upvotes

Fedex Ground Brokerage Fees help!

Hey everyone,

i was wondering, how much brokerage fees will there be using Fedex Ground from USA to Canada? My items will be worth approx. $50USD?

Furthermore, I always wondered why Postal services like USPS/CP never charge brokerage fees, well at least I have never encountered them.

Lastly, if couriers charge such expensive brokerage fees, why do people still use them? Why can't they all use postal services?!

Thanks in advance!
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
Cp does charge brokerage fees.

Your duty will depends on what you bought and where its made, their brokerage fee also varies

My guess is that you will owe around $20+ for brokerage alone
Oct 1, 2008
48 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
RunOrDie wrote:
Dec 17th, 2013 3:57 pm
Hey everyone,

i was wondering, how much brokerage fees will there be using Fedex Ground from USA to Canada? My items will be worth approx. $50USD?

Furthermore, I always wondered why Postal services like USPS/CP never charge brokerage fees, well at least I have never encountered them.

Lastly, if couriers charge such expensive brokerage fees, why do people still use them? Why can't they all use postal services?!

Thanks in advance!
The Brokerage fee has nothing to do with how much your item cost. It's a processing fees charged by the courier company (Fedex, UPS.....). It's basically a scam. They used to bill you when they drop off the shipment. Now I heard they will send you a bill later. I guess because too many people are now refusing the package. I have learnt it the hard way. I bought a book from the state for US 18.00 dollars, the total was $85.00 CAN by the time it got to my door. Now I only order from the state if they use USPS.
The vendor is the one that choose the shipping company and I'm not sure they are aware of this problem for cross border shipping.
One way to avoid this brokerage/processing fee is to call ahead and tell the courier company you'll clear the package yourself (I think you can just google it for the details)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2795 posts
260 upvotes
I wonder why for Warranty shipments and for parcels related to business they don't have to pay Brokerage fees.

For warranty shipments across borders, I never had to pay for Brokerage as well..
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11909 posts
2788 upvotes
Ottawa
RunOrDie wrote:
CP does indeed charge brokerage fees. It's a "processing fee" and it's $10 per parcel.

I had to pay this fee recently on a $80 parcel and a $180 parcel (plus HST on the value as well)

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus ... omsfee.jsf
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
UPS charges a range of between $30 -$70 for brokerage fees (based on the value of the package.) Canada Post charges $5 or $8 brokerage (depending on value)

FedEx charges about $15 for brokerage, plus a $10 "advancement fee" for paying CBSA up front. You can call FedEx and give them the tracking number and provide a credit card over the phone for the customs and duties. By doing so (as long as hasn't cleared customs yet) you can eliminate the advancement fee.

Option B is to set up a FedEx account, and have the shipper (that you trust) use your account number in the "bill customs and duties to" area. This reduces all of the extra fees as well.
Dec 9, 2013
56 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
celtic-redhead wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 3:48 pm
Canada Post charges $5 or $8 brokerage (depending on value)
Canada post charges $10 per package, on items valued over $20
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
gizzy24 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 4:10 pm
Canada post charges $10 per package, on items valued over $20
Wow... I didn't realized that had changed. The last time I actually had to pay any taxes on a package it was still under the tiered $5/$8 rate schedule.

Thanks for the heads up!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
celtic-redhead wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 3:48 pm
UPS charges a range of between $30 -$70 for brokerage fees (based on the value of the package.) Canada Post charges $5 or $8 brokerage (depending on value)

FedEx charges about $15 for brokerage, plus a $10 "advancement fee" for paying CBSA up front. You can call FedEx and give them the tracking number and provide a credit card over the phone for the customs and duties. By doing so (as long as hasn't cleared customs yet) you can eliminate the advancement fee.

Option B is to set up a FedEx account, and have the shipper (that you trust) use your account number in the "bill customs and duties to" area. This reduces all of the extra fees as well.
I have never paid a FedEx adv. fee, only UPS. FedEx usually bills me a ~$10 brokerage fee plus duties and tax.
Dec 21, 2008
251 posts
158 upvotes
RunOrDie wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!
You will be charged the HST + Brokerage Fee of approx. $16.
Logistics and Recreation Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

PM me for information about Inline Hockey or if you have any Inline Hockey/Skating questions!!!
Dec 6, 2012
47 posts
13 upvotes
can anyone give me an estimate on this? $60-80USD bluetooth speakers shipped by DHL ($30-40 shipping).. how much would custom/bokerage fee be