Total: $12.06

Anyone know what the "fee" is?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3321 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
That's the dispensing fee that all pharmacies charge. There's no mark-up on the drug itself, so the profit just comes from the dispensing fee. They make the same $$ regardless if you have a $0.49 drug, or one that's $3000.

In Vancouver most pharmacies charge $9.60 because that's the amount the government recognizes for Pharmacare (if you're eligible). Some pharmacies like Shoppers or independents charge above that.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
Fairview Pharmacy doesn't charge this greedy fee.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6775 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
longitude wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 12:48 pm

Hate to break it to you but all pharmacies charge a dispensing fee. If they didn't they wouldn't survive and they will die even faster with the new laws in ON!
Nov 8, 2010
963 posts
203 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 12:48 pm
They most likely just bundle the two together on your receipt. My pharmacy currently does that.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15131 posts
1579 upvotes
Costco has the most reasonable dispensing fee - about 4.50.

I think non-members can use Costco pharmacies too.

Anyhow, they should hire robots to dispense drugs :)
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
setell wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 1:40 pm
Hate to break it to you but all pharmacies charge a dispensing fee. If they didn't they wouldn't survive and they will die even faster with the new laws in ON!

I know my plan doesn't pay for dispensing fees, but I never had to pay them!

Something's wrong then.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2555 posts
145 upvotes
It was a dispensing fee.

I think Costco and I.D.A have some of the cheapest fees. The I.D.A where I live only charges $4.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
coolspot wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 2:17 pm
Costco has the most reasonable dispensing fee - about 4.50.

I think non-members can use Costco pharmacies too.

Anyhow, they should hire robots to dispense drugs :)

$4.11 FTW!

Plus they always have 2-3 pharmacists on hand and a half dozen technicians.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
5920 posts
1778 upvotes
You don't know what you're getting into for going to the cheapest pharmacy. I've spoken to a pharmacist who's filled in when another was away and had to order one of the pharmacy techs to get an error corrected, which is apparently a pain because everything has to be documented and it functions like an assembly line (so everyone has to redo their work). The implication is that if errors are made, they're not usually fixed.

It's not about price. It's your health.
Anyhow, they should hire robots to dispense drugs
That's very concerning, since pharmacists are experts on medications. They know more than your doctor.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 3:25 pm
You don't know what you're getting into for going to the cheapest pharmacy. I've spoken to a pharmacist who's filled in when another was away and had to order one of the pharmacy techs to get an error corrected, which is apparently a pain because everything has to be documented and it functions like an assembly line (so everyone has to redo their work). The implication is that if errors are made, they're not usually fixed.

It's not about price. It's your health.

That's very concerning, since pharmacists are experts on medications. They know more than your doctor.

That's all BS. I've had a pharmacist at SDM give me the wrong prescription. Then they refused to take it back (I lost $100+) claiming by law they couldn't take it back. They wouldn't credit it and did nothing for me. They even charged me the dispensing fee again on the right script I had to replace it with.

I switched to Costco and asked them what happens in this case. They assured me everything in the Costco warehouse has a 100% satisfaction guarantee including prescriptions. They also agreed to order a specific brand of generic I wanted and when I'm almost out they automatically order more for me so they have it when I pick it up.

You're right it's not about price, it's your health...but more expensive is NOT always better.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1958 posts
54 upvotes
GTA
A robot (or smart vending machine) would be more knowledgeable than any pharmacist, with virtually no error, much more efficient and and very little cost.

The drug-dispensing robot is coming to Canada very soon, if legislation is changed to fast-track the change.
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 3:25 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1201 posts
414 upvotes
M@rk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 8:15 am
That's the dispensing fee that all pharmacies charge. There's no mark-up on the drug itself, so the profit just comes from the dispensing fee. They make the same $$ regardless if you have a $0.49 drug, or one that's $3000.

In Vancouver most pharmacies charge $9.60 because that's the amount the government recognizes for Pharmacare (if you're eligible). Some pharmacies like Shoppers or independents charge above that.

No mark up on the drug, if you only knew there is atleast 10% mark-up on most drugs some have even more than that for some drugs. This is only for people that pay for their own perscriptions, any paid for by the government they have a max they will pay for any drug and sometimes that is even less than the cost of the drug.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20354 posts
1591 upvotes
elmst200 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 3:54 pm
A robot (or smart vending machine) would be more knowledgeable than any pharmacist, with virtually no error, much more efficient and and very little cost.

The drug-dispensing robot is coming to Canada very soon, if legislation is changed to fast-track the change.

Who is going to monitor drug interactions, dependencies, advise elderly customers, etc? Robots will only compliment human pharmacists.
× < >