None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
398 upvotes
GT&A

Fee for copy of blood/urine exam results

Is it legal for a clinic office to charge you for a copy of a urine or blood exam results? Considering it was all done under OHIP and the doctor is being paid his fees accordingly.

Some clinics charge $5, others $1.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
22 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23192 posts
2787 upvotes
Clinics can charge for copies of any of your files, yes. It's legal.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
You called around to all clinics to see how much they charge?

Well at least you didn't drive to each one, that would have cost like $40.00 in gasoline, or two days on a transit system and $20.00

If it helps, and I am no expert on how hospitals, and things like that work. However, urine and blood samples might have to go to a laboratory where they have the proper facilities to do that sort of thing. I think I remember a lab existing in a medical building which housed several family doctors and clinics at one of the places I used to go to.

Perhaps the analysis service, is run independently of government?

Again, I am not 100% sure on it.
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1145 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
The test itself is paid for by OHIP, but it's common practice for doctors/clinics to charge for hardcopies for you. I mean, some doctors even charge for doctors notes now.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
Actually I never thought that maybe a "copy" is just a photocopy.

With the irreversible demise of print media, photo copies, and paper has gone up in price substantially
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Yes they can charge. Will they charge? Depends on your doc.
Got our blood taken when we signed with our family doc, doctor gave us both our 4 pages of results from our blood tests. No charge...
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1145 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
MrKap wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:06 am
Actually I never thought that maybe a "copy" is just a photocopy.

With the irreversible demise of print media, photo copies, and paper has gone up in price substantially

They usually keep the originals with your file in the office, I think the one you get is usually just a photocopy. At least that's how it is with my doctor.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
398 upvotes
GT&A
yes, photocopy....
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3579 posts
991 upvotes
on the links
sedated_xtc wrote:
May 30th, 2012 8:57 am
The test itself is paid for by OHIP
Not entirely. I had to pay for a recent PSA blood test, not covered by OHIP. Since I have no outward symptoms, I get to pay for it. Even though I'm in the target age group (50+) for prostate cancer and have a family history of it.

Go figure.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
208 upvotes
Canadia
It's a huge ripoff if they are charging more than 25 cents for a single page photocopy.

At the hospital they just give it to me for my personal records, I didn't even have to ask.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
967 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Completely legal and normal. My family doc tends to give me copies of everything, no charge, including my x-ray interpretations and blood work. Now my rheumy on the other hand, not so much...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
MrKap wrote:
May 30th, 2012 8:39 am
You called around to all clinics to see how much they charge?

Well at least you didn't drive to each one, that would have cost like $40.00 in gasoline, or two days on a transit system and $20.00

If it helps, and I am no expert on how hospitals, and things like that work. However, urine and blood samples might have to go to a laboratory where they have the proper facilities to do that sort of thing. I think I remember a lab existing in a medical building which housed several family doctors and clinics at one of the places I used to go to.

Perhaps the analysis service, is run independently of government?

Again, I am not 100% sure on it.

Outside the Hospital (and this is where the bulk of testing is done in Ontario), the payment is from the government, but the laboratories are not (save many Infectious Disease testing). These labs, such as Gamma Dynacare, Life Labs, CML (and other smaller ones) get a capped payment from the government. As part of the agreement the cap is fixed and the laboratories cannot reject samples. Because of this, the large labs reach their cap limit in the September/October timeframe and run the remainder of the year "free". This forces the labs to 1) focus on cost containment and 2) limit exposure to samples. For the latter, you will see a decrease in the number of hours a collection centre is open.....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
967 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Wow, interesting to know nalababe. I guess that funding model also means patients won't ever have online access to their results here like in the US. For those of us with chronic issues, it sure would be nice if could get out results emailed to us or accessible online on a secure website...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
155 upvotes
nauru wrote:
May 30th, 2012 10:46 am
It's a huge ripoff if they are charging more than 25 cents for a single page photocopy.

At the hospital they just give it to me for my personal records, I didn't even have to ask.

I think it is more of a disincentive than anything else. They don't want people asking for copies "just because". Photocopying costs do add up for any business, but in a busy medical office, often they simply also want to minimize the amount of time they have to spend on non essential things, such as photocopying things people do not necessarily need.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
longitude wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:49 am
yes, photocopy....

You need someone to find your record. You need someone to make the copy. You need to pay for the trouble for that someone.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.