Computers & Electronics

Feedback on All-in-one printers that use least amount of ink? ...or standalone.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2006 5:58 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1986 posts
4 upvotes

Feedback on All-in-one printers that use least amount of ink? ...or standalone.

My fathers Epson 640 has high ink costs. It seems we're replacing ink cartridges several times a year and we don't even print a huge amount. My Epson C80 is similar, but I'll just keep it for now as I don't print as much as my father does. Is anyone familiar with the 640 and how much ink it uses?

Can anyone suggest a good printer that is equal or better quality than the old Epson 640 but which has low ink costs? I'll check around the internet to find out info on this, but it would be nice to get first hand experience. Would prefer an all-in-one printer but if there is a good enough stand-alone, we'll get that if the ink costs are low enough.

thanx

:)
133 replies
Banned
Dec 31, 2004
2431 posts
2 upvotes
Regina, Saskatchewan
laser printer is the way to go!
FS: Compaq Turion 64 ML34 laptop for $350cad including shipping within Canada: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=562159

FS: SB800 flash, iPAQ PDA, AB400 Studio Light, Lightsphere 2, 5 in 1 light reflectors 42"
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost5299296
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=460399
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1986 posts
4 upvotes
Ok. Any particular models? Would have to be colour. Are there any cheap colour laser all-in-ones? By cheap, I mean, less than $350.00.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
morkys wrote:My fathers Epson 640 has high ink costs. It seems we're replacing ink cartridges several times a year and we don't even print a huge amount. My Epson C80 is similar, but I'll just keep it for now as I don't print as much as my father does. Is anyone familiar with the 640 and how much ink it uses?

Can anyone suggest a good printer that is equal or better quality than the old Epson 640 but which has low ink costs? I'll check around the internet to find out info on this, but it would be nice to get first hand experience. Would prefer an all-in-one printer but if there is a good enough stand-alone, we'll get that if the ink costs are low enough.

thanx

:)
I've sent along a link of Mutlifunction Printer reviews " Fast Answers " FYI

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/compu ... swers.html

The " All Reviews" and " Full Story " tabs in the link are well worth a look for detailed info.

Generally. Canon leads the way in lowest cost per page - I know someone who has the Multipass 390 ( 4 in 1 ) $199 noted in the reviews and raves about it ....the black ink cartridge for the 390 is $ 9 - the Pixma iP series is also very good - 2000 and 4000 etc

3 in 1 HP 1315 can be had for $99, but HP ink costs are higher - you may want to check on black ink costs for the 1315 to see how it compares to the canon

Samsung seems to lead the way in lasers as per the reviews below

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/compu ... index.html
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1014 posts
5 upvotes
Erm....
Canon makes a colour laser all-in-one, so does HP. HP's unit retails for around $1250, I am not sure how much Canon's unit is.

Buy a decent laser, and a cheap inkjet for colour purposes?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1986 posts
4 upvotes
Hmmm. Canon is coming up for low ink costs. I guess the next question would be reliability.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20678 posts
1291 upvotes
Aurora
Ink Jet Printers are throw aways. They sell the printer cheap, becaause they know they will get you with the consumables.

As someone else mentioned, get a good laser and leave it at that. If you have to print in colour, get a colour laser. [rfdlink=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/autolink ... linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] had one in their 10 days of deals.

However, ink jet colour is a lot brighter than laser. So if you are printing Photos, you may want to consider getting a Canon Photo Printer.

Either way, you loose with Ink Jets. The ink does not last, the shelf life is 6 months after you expose the print head. Basically the ink dries up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:Ink Jet Printers are throw aways. They sell the printer cheap, becaause they know they will get you with the consumables.

As someone else mentioned, get a good laser and leave it at that. If you have to print in colour, get a colour laser. [rfdlink=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/autolink ... linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] had one in their 10 days of deals.

However, ink jet colour is a lot brighter than laser. So if you are printing Photos, you may want to consider getting a Canon Photo Printer.

Either way, you loose with Ink Jets. The ink does not last, the shelf life is 6 months after you expose the print head. Basically the ink dries up.
that is with lexmark
not canon
epson has long lasting ink
canon has cheaper ink but brighter than epson's although doesnt last as long
HP has expensive ink...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Nevermind what anyone else tells you about ink costs. The cost per page is actually about the same regardless which printer you go with. It's just that they come in different size cartridges with different ink quantities making for misleading assumptions. So don't be surprised if you walked in to a store and saw one brand is alot cheaper than the other - it's actually the same in costs if you do the math (read quote below). As for which printer to buy? Well the fact is, HP is the market leader and Lexmark is actually a close number two. Epson is a far third and canon's are a distant dead last. Canons are reputedly the most abismal printers you can get. HP is quality, but Lexmarks give the best performance to price ratio, so i recommend the Lexmark X6170 for an all-in-one. And there is no ink cost difference between going with a stand alone or an all-in-one, so go for the all-in-one if that's what you prefer.

For more information on the X6170, here's a thread that discussed current all-in-one printers:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=161917

While I do agree Laser is the way to go if you do alot of heavy printing, inkjets are ideal for typical homes, light printing needs, students, etc. If you are able to live with lower dpi, FutureShop has a samsung mono laser now for $99 and spend the rest on a decent color inkjet. But for a limited $350 budget, it looks like your best bet is with a good performing HP or Lexmark inkjet printer.
Cafe_333 wrote:Finally let's put to rest the cost of ink debate. To be fair, I listed the Lexmark X6170's direct competitors, the cartridges they use, and direct links to show the print yield. Printer prices are from FutureShop or BestBuy wherein only the lower price is listed in the following. Catridge prices are all from Staples.

Epson CX4600 All-in-one Printer - $130 at FS&BB
Epson T044120 Black Ink Cartridge - $26
Print Yield: 420 pages
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3576465
Cost: $0.062/page

Canon Pixma MP130 All-in-one Printer - $130 at BB
Canon BCI-24BK Black Ink Cartridge - $10
Print Yield: 340 Pages
http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/prod ... 59380.html
Cost: $0.029/page

Lexmark X6170 All-in-one Printer - $90 after $30MIB at FS
Lexmark 18L0032 Black Ink Cartridge - $40
Print Yield: 600 pages
http://www.shopzilla.com/9L--Lexmark_18 ... d--8759395
Cost: $0.067/page

Ink costs are the same if you can compare them to similar models with similar specs. In that case, you can only really compare the Epson and Lexmark as these are 2400x1200dpi printers. The cost of ink is about the same with both manufacturers. Canon on the other hand cannot make a justifiable comparison. It would be the same cost if it were a 2400x1200 dpi printer. But alas they are all still 600x600dpi, including their IP line.
(http://www.canon.ca/pdf/iP1500%20fact%20sheet%20ENG.pdf)

With all things considered, the cost of ink is about the same between printers within the same industry standard. Lexmark gives you more features for your buck. They also cost less than the competition. Not to mention Coke355ml's point that Lexmark print heads are on the cartridges which keeps the printing sharp. Imho, there is no better value printer.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Evil Techie wrote:that is with lexmark
not canon
epson has long lasting ink
canon has cheaper ink but brighter than epson's although doesnt last as long
HP has expensive ink...
Actually that is not the case with lexmark or HP's. But it definately is with Canon and Epson's. The latter printers need to have the print heads cleaned regularly and run the risk of having the print heads clogged. They will also eventually wear down and dry out over time regardless thus creating the infamous streaking of letters when printing. HP and Lexmark on the other hand opted to have the actual print heads on the cartridge, keeping the print quality sharp with each changing of the cartridge. And considering ink costs are actually the same, HP or Lexmark are the best choices - especially when the print head is on every one of their cartridges.

To everyone else:
Since I know someone will bring up ink refills - they are also the same cost regardless of the brand as well. Besides, ink refills are not an ideal way to go due to clogging and drying of the print head - although you can probably get away with a handful of refills. And if someone brings up oem catridges, the cost is about the same as well. Why would the costs be that different when the original cartridges all cost the same? The bottom line is, ink costs should never be the deciding reason to opt for one brand over another.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Cafe_333 wrote:Actually that is not the case with lexmark or HP's. But it definately is with Canon and Epson's. The latter printers need to have the print heads cleaned regularly and run the risk of having the print heads clogged. They will also eventually wear down and dry out over time regardless thus creating the infamous streaking of letters when printing. HP and Lexmark on the other hand opted to have the actual print heads on the cartridge, keeping the print quality sharp with each changing of the cartridge. And considering ink costs are actually the same, HP or Lexmark are the best choices - especially when the print head is on every one of their cartridges.

To everyone else:
Since I know someone will bring up ink refills - they are also the same cost regardless of the brand as well. Besides, ink refills are not an ideal way to go due to clogging and drying of the print head - although you can probably get away with a handful of refills. And if someone brings up oem catridges, the cost is about the same as well. Why would the costs be that different when the original cartridges all cost the same? The bottom line is, ink costs should never be the deciding reason to opt for one brand over another.

i have thought about that
but i havent had any streaking problems with my i560 and IP3000 for more than a year
both of these printers have the same print heads and all have deep cleaning option
i havent done much cleaning yet and it still has been printing photos just fine

the BCI-24 ink isnt efficient
BCI-3e and 6 series are great as they are very affordable and last quite a long time
definately should compare these to lexmark, and HP
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Evil Techie wrote:i have thought about that but i havent had any streaking problems with my i560 and IP3000 for more than a year both of these printers have the same print heads and all have deep cleaning option i havent done much cleaning yet and it still has been printing photos just fine

the BCI-24 ink isnt efficient
BCI-3e and 6 series are great as they are very affordable and last quite a long time definately should compare these to lexmark, and HP
It's only been a year, but it will inevitably happen. And a year's worth of wear on the print head for sure the print quality isn't as sharp as the day you bought it. Anyway, it does seem you are happy with your canon, so I am glad it is working well for you. To each their own on which printer they want to go with.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Cafe_333 wrote:It's only been a year, but it will inevitably happen. And a year's worth of wear on the print head for sure the print quality isn't as sharp as the day you bought it. Anyway, it does seem you are happy with your canon, so I am glad it is working well for you. To each their own on which printer they want to go with.
well about a year and half

im still satisfied with the print quality on quality canon photo paper

the dual paper path and auto duplex printing on the iP3000 and up is a great feature too
saves me time of flipping the page and saves a lot of paper

i know that eventually the head would be ruined and pretty much the time is now counting down
but when that time comes, ill just replace the head since it is detacheable
Nov 13, 2003
89 posts
Calgary
Cafe_333 wrote: Canons are reputedly the most abismal printers you can get. HP is quality, but Lexmarks give the best performance to price ratio, so i recommend the Lexmark X6170 for an all-in-one. And there is no ink cost difference between going with a stand alone or an all-in-one, so go for the all-in-one if that's what you prefer.
I have to take issue with this whole concept. Your own post indicates that the Canon model runs at $.029 per page (under 1/2 the cost of HP or Lexmark), but choose to dismiss this 50% savings based on the 600x600dpi resolution?

Statistical representation of image quality falls in step ahead of lies, and damn lies... The eyes tell all; how do the pages look? If you can't determine where your extra money has gone by looking at a page of HP/Lexmark text...

I'm curious as to where Canon got the reputation as "the most abismal printers you can get." Have you seen any particular reviews or assessments that I have missed?

In my opinion; the only true advantage to paying HP/Lexmark more for their Printer/Ink combination is the ease of clogged printhead replacement. For individuals less technically inclined, they can simply throw money at a new Cartridge set, and recover instantly from clogged/dry Carts.

For the rest of us, with more time than money, we know that printing anything other than Black Text is punishing on the wallet; even mild to moderate photo/colour printing can lead to a set of Cartridges a month. You can literally hear an inkjet printer glugging the ink when printing large format color images. (As an aside: I have one Catalogue document I print on occasion that consumes over 1/2 a Cartridge set at a time) Kids in the family, wife on the printer...? Have your wallet handy; there is a price to be paid for HP/Lexmark convenience.

Un-used inkjet printers dry, and clog. It's the nature of the beast. If you plan to leave your printer un-used for months at a time while you winter in Florida, buy a Laser Printer.

If you do alot of colour printing, you are unlikely to dry ink in the printhead, and won't need the "convenience" of expensive HP/Lexmark replacements. There is software available to send a document to your printer daily, so if you forget, or don't need to print for a week, or two, fresh ink can be sent through the printhead keeping your system unclogged, and ready for use.

Aftermarket replacement carts can be had for ~50% cost of Canon OEM carts; ignore the industry FUD regarding clogging and loss of warranty. Inkjet consumables is a multi-billion $ industry and the players in this market are fighting tooth and nail to keep your money coming! There are quality alternatives for an informed consumer; by choosing your Aftermarket Carts wisely, you can make Inkjet Printing affordable.

Print a-little-something every day, and save a fortune..!

Just my $.029 YMMV
Nov 13, 2003
89 posts
Calgary
Evil Techie wrote:i know that eventually the head would be ruined and pretty much the time is now counting down
but when that time comes, ill just replace the head since it is detacheable
This is an excellent point; and where Canon has it all over Epson (the other Company that doesn't replace printhead with the ink cart) Having a user-replaceable printhead is very appealing. A clear advantage on this side of the market!
× < >