• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3171 posts
752 upvotes

Feedback on Home Depot Stain that Fills Wood Cracks

So the reviews for the Behr stain that also fills wood cracks is pretty low. Has anyone tried this type of stain? Some boards on the deck may need replacing soon but I am hoping I can put a nice coat of stain on it until next summer.
11 replies
Nov 30, 2011
667 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
My parents used Deck Over. It was a huge pain to apply (nothing like in the video) and after 2 years it needs to be dome again. And yes, they prepared the deck exactly per instructions.
Dec 31, 2007
337 posts
45 upvotes
i had a friend that used deck over. it was ok for like one year but started to peel and flake after the second year. his deck was at least 10 years old at the time and i'm not sure how he prepped his deck, but after 4 years, it now looks like it need to be all re-done and has pretty severe peeling.

after reading about film forming deck stains, i would stay away from it unless the wood is so rotten that the amount of work needed to clean and sand it isn't worth it due to wood rot. just reading you may need to replace some board suggests your deck has significant wood damage and may be just a matter of time before a complete overhaul.

depending on the condition of the actual wood on the deck, your probably better off stripping the old stain/paint off, pressure washing and then sanding the entire deck. then stain with an oil penetrating stain like twp or armstrong clark. this could probably be a lot of labor but at least their product will not peel.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2684 posts
695 upvotes
Paris
Prep is 100% why those systems fail. So specific prep and weather you need.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3171 posts
752 upvotes
It's crazy, I think I came across a website that is trying to file a class action lawsuit against Behr for their Deck Over product. So many unhappy customers.

The wood planks do need replacing but it's mostly from an aesthetic point of view. They are safe but not pretty to look at.

I will go back to the original stain I used jusst to match the colour. It is the Behr Premium solid colour stain. It's rated pretty high overall. For the deck without sun, it's lasted quite a long time. It's the one with the harsh sun that requires another coat.

Also, Behr has a 10 year warranty for decks on this stain. I don't even have the Home Depot receipt. How do I go about asking for a warranty replacement?
Dec 31, 2007
337 posts
45 upvotes
you'll be amazed at what the wood can look like underneath all the mold, mildew and cracks. you could put in a lot of work to strip off all the old stain and bleach/clean/power wash the deck to expose the wood underneath. i just did a 9 year old fence. the top horizontal boards had a lot of mold, mildew and grey root, but the vertical boards were fine. after cleaning, neutralizing and hitting with the power washer, the wood looked pretty good for 9 years. it looks great now after a lot of work to clean, sand and stain it.

for my house, i have small balcony about 5'x9'. i originally stained the balcony deck 4 years ago with oil based stain from crappy tire. it was maxum brand affiliated with benjamin moore (but no longer).

so my biggest mistake was using a film forming stain and applying too many coats. i'd washed and sanded the deck, but the color wasn't consistent and i had too many lap marks so i stained it with 2 coats. after the first year, it peeled a little mostly where the water seemed to be fall due to the rain gutter pointing to that spot. so i just scraped it of and sanded and restained the deck again (and maybe a 4th time? i can't recall).

in the 3rd year, the peeling was pretty bad and i started to scrape and sand, but found that it was just a lot of work. CT decided to not carry the stain any more and i had a hard time finding the last few cans in their stores. i went to a benjamin moore store to see if they carried the brand and the guy basically told me my choices were to scrape/sand/repaint every year or to strip it completely off and sand the deck. i decided to start from scratch.

i had to use fairly caustic chemicals and a neutralizer to get the stain off and the wood bad to its natural color. after 8 rounds of stain stripper and neutralizing follow by one round of bleaching and neutralizing and power washing, i was able to get 99% of the stain off. the wood looked quite amazing but the wood surface was damaged due to caustic solution and power washer i hit it with. there were lots of splinters a wood fibers exposed. i spent another few hours sanding the deck and i was able to get 99.5% of the old stain off.

i bought the twp stain from michigan and just applied it this week. it turned out quite well, but i need to do 3 coats just to get a uniform color. the first coat had too much lap marks, the second coat was made blotchy by the heavy rain we had in the night. the weather hasn't been co-operating at all. so i applied a 3rd coat and now look good even though it rained lightly the same night i applied the 3rd coat. the good thing about twp is that it doesn't form a film layer. it does takes a longer time to dry due to our crappy summer. i think it'll take another 3 to 4 days to completely dry.

i'll have to wait for it to completely dry before my final verdict, but i'd have to say it does look great so far. and yeah, it was a lot of work.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
118 upvotes
gladiator1942 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:37 am
you'll be amazed at what the wood can look like underneath all the mold, mildew and cracks. you could put in a lot of work to strip off all the old stain and bleach/clean/power wash the deck to expose the wood underneath. i just did a 9 year old fence. the top horizontal boards had a lot of mold, mildew and grey root, but the vertical boards were fine. after cleaning, neutralizing and hitting with the power washer, the wood looked pretty good for 9 years. it looks great now after a lot of work to clean, sand and stain it.

for my house, i have small balcony about 5'x9'. i originally stained the balcony deck 4 years ago with oil based stain from crappy tire. it was maxum brand affiliated with benjamin moore (but no longer).

so my biggest mistake was using a film forming stain and applying too many coats. i'd washed and sanded the deck, but the color wasn't consistent and i had too many lap marks so i stained it with 2 coats. after the first year, it peeled a little mostly where the water seemed to be fall due to the rain gutter pointing to that spot. so i just scraped it of and sanded and restained the deck again (and maybe a 4th time? i can't recall).

in the 3rd year, the peeling was pretty bad and i started to scrape and sand, but found that it was just a lot of work. CT decided to not carry the stain any more and i had a hard time finding the last few cans in their stores. i went to a benjamin moore store to see if they carried the brand and the guy basically told me my choices were to scrape/sand/repaint every year or to strip it completely off and sand the deck. i decided to start from scratch.

i had to use fairly caustic chemicals and a neutralizer to get the stain off and the wood bad to its natural color. after 8 rounds of stain stripper and neutralizing follow by one round of bleaching and neutralizing and power washing, i was able to get 99% of the stain off. the wood looked quite amazing but the wood surface was damaged due to caustic solution and power washer i hit it with. there were lots of splinters a wood fibers exposed. i spent another few hours sanding the deck and i was able to get 99.5% of the old stain off.

i bought the twp stain from michigan and just applied it this week. it turned out quite well, but i need to do 3 coats just to get a uniform color. the first coat had too much lap marks, the second coat was made blotchy by the heavy rain we had in the night. the weather hasn't been co-operating at all. so i applied a 3rd coat and now look good even though it rained lightly the same night i applied the 3rd coat. the good thing about twp is that it doesn't form a film layer. it does takes a longer time to dry due to our crappy summer. i think it'll take another 3 to 4 days to completely dry.

i'll have to wait for it to completely dry before my final verdict, but i'd have to say it does look great so far. and yeah, it was a lot of work.
This is very true. I had a deck that look liked if it was ripped out someone would have done me a favour.
I used Behr deck cleaner and scrubbed it 4 times over with a deck brush from home depot with pretty long bristles. Every few strokes I would have to hose of the brush head because of so much gunk. Mind you I could close my hand the next day and stand up straight..
I wish I took some before pictures because afterwards it turned out pretty damn good. I was impressed.

pics http://imgur.com/a/kEu7O
Images
  • IMG_2201.JPG
  • IMG_2202.JPG
  • IMG_2203.JPG
  • IMG_2204.JPG
  • IMG_2205.JPG
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
118 upvotes

just saw that video of a guy using Olympic deck cleaner. If that product works like it did in the video that's amazing. Basically just sprayed it on and it erased all the mold and mildew without scrubbing.
Also saw another video where someone used both olympic and behr. The olympic was much better.
I have a bottle of thompsons deck cleaner i'm going to use next month I'll give that a shot against the behr.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1813 posts
197 upvotes
Waterlooo
cdndeal wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:50 am
This is very true. I had a deck that look liked if it was ripped out someone would have done me a favour.
I used Behr deck cleaner and scrubbed it 4 times over with a deck brush from home depot with pretty long bristles. Every few strokes I would have to hose of the brush head because of so much gunk. Mind you I could close my hand the next day and stand up straight..
I wish I took some before pictures because afterwards it turned out pretty damn good. I was impressed.

pics http://imgur.com/a/kEu7O
Those are before shots? My deck was so bad from years of ignoring it that it was either pure white from sun bleaching it or pure black from mold - I think only a power sander would have fixed it.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
118 upvotes
rilles wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 3:33 pm
Those are before shots? My deck was so bad from years of ignoring it that it was either pure white from sun bleaching it or pure black from mold - I think only a power sander would have fixed it.
No those are after. If you look at the first picture, the bottom of the post holding the railing down the stairs.. I missed a spot there.. That's how nasty the whole deck was.
Last edited by cdndeal on Aug 15th, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
118 upvotes
cdndeal wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:51 pm

just saw that video of a guy using Olympic deck cleaner. If that product works like it did in the video that's amazing. Basically just sprayed it on and it erased all the mold and mildew without scrubbing.
Also saw another video where someone used both olympic and behr. The olympic was much better.
I have a bottle of thompsons deck cleaner i'm going to use next month I'll give that a shot against the behr.

This stuff is actually just bleach. Thompsons and Olympic's cleaners are bleach. Behr's isn't. Probably why it wasn't as powerful.
If you compare the MSDS sheets with them and bleach its the same. sodium hypochlorite.
You're better off using oxygen bleach though.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2684 posts
695 upvotes
Paris
cdndeal wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 4:24 pm
This stuff is actually just bleach. Thompsons and Olympic's cleaners are bleach. Behr's isn't. Probably why it wasn't as powerful.
If you compare the MSDS sheets with them and bleach its the same. sodium hypochlorite.
You're better off using oxygen bleach though.
Chlorine bleach 100%. With maybe some sort of soap too.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.