• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2016 9:48 am
Tags:
None
Sep 9, 2013
571 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Chuck Garabedian wrote: I would like to get your feedback on a potential purchase. A local dealer has a 2015 truck I'm interested in that has been used as a managers demo (salesperson's terminology) with about 6500kms on it. I have never dealt with this dealership before but they do have an A+ standing on BBB.

The price I can work on and considering it;s a demo the deal would have to be very good.

My question is, would you buy a demo with this much on the odometer. Are demo's typically driven hard and abused?
If you want a used car then buy the demo, just don't expect it to be perfectly new as per the dealer. if you want new buy new, I would only buy the used if it was a hefty discount, I would pull the trigger on a 10K discount.
Jun 9, 2011
459 posts
224 upvotes
TenzoR wrote: I bought one and it was fine. It was "used for about 6 months by a sales associate". I saved about 10k in total in cost compared to if I were to buy new. Came with manufacturer extended warranty. I'm the first registered owner according to MTO and insurance FWIW.
How many kms were on it? And what brand?
Dec 19, 2012
60 posts
4 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: No, domestic trucks are routinely 10k off MSRP.
Which means everyone knows the MSRP is irrelevant, because noone ever pays it. Ever. You might as well write MSRP 100k and slap a 60k MSRP "discount" on it.

If the MSRP is 50k and they are always running 10k discounts, the MSRP in reality is 40k, and the actual negotiations start from there.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2590 posts
1117 upvotes
Sudbury
JagBlops1 wrote: Which means everyone knows the MSRP is irrelevant, because noone ever pays it. Ever. You might as well write MSRP 100k and slap a 60k MSRP "discount" on it.

If the MSRP is 50k and they are always running 10k discounts, the MSRP in reality is 40k, and the actual negotiations start from there.
You can get 10k+ off MRSP...well depends what your MRSP is I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8366 posts
2234 upvotes
Mississauga
JagBlops1 wrote: Which means everyone knows the MSRP is irrelevant, because noone ever pays it. Ever. You might as well write MSRP 100k and slap a 60k MSRP "discount" on it.

MSRP is relevant it is the price on every vehicle no matter where it is sold. The same MSRP is on a vehicle that is sold in Florida and Alaska and everywhere in between. Depending on the vehicle and how scarce it is determines how much you pay at MSRP, under MSRP or over MSRP which does happen but not often.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Thats what Canadian Tire, and Best Buy are known for. And every furniture store out there lol. Let's set MSRP at $4,000 for these sofas, and boom 50% off, greatest sale of the year!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7061 posts
104 upvotes
Nepean
akon1943 wrote: How many kms were on it? And what brand?
About 9000km and Audi.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
24 upvotes
All depends on the warranty terms.

Our Audi was a "manager's car". And maybe it was, or it could have been a demo or a press car. But at least with Audi they added 2 extra years of warranty and an additional 80K KM warranty- more than makes up for the difference. With a pickup truck I somehow think you are gettting a 3 year standard KM warranty.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???