• Jun 18th, 2018 7:08 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
20 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Feedback Requested from People with Roofs Re-Done / Re-Shingled 6+ Years Ago

Hi All,

For those of you got your roofs re-done more than 6+ years ago (the longer the better), can you please share your updates on how your shingles have held up especially following the recent wind storms and which companies you used. I believe this would be a good way to try and figure out which companies installations have been able to stand the test of time and weather elements. Some companies can be professional and install roofs which look well done and everything seems fine for the first few years but in the longer term, may fall apart or have issues quicker than other companies.

As an example, I noticed that a company like 'professional roofers' had good reviews on RFD, homestars, etc. for new installations. However, after the wind storms, it seems there were many complaints (on homestars) about shingles they installed relatively recently (within the last few years) blowing off and some reviewers noted that other homes in their neighborhoods which also used professional had the same issue while other homes that also got their roofs done around the same time by other companies did not have any blow off. [P.S. I am not trying to single them out or anything; it's just that I had been considering them and hence was looking into them before the may 4th storm and again after the storm and I noticed the shift in reviews and that's why they were on my radar]

Also, it seems like them and most likely other companies make customers pay for these repairs / replacements because the wind storms are considered as "Acts of God". However, the thing is most of these lifetime architectural shingles have approximately up to 170km/hr (at least) wind resistance; therefore, if shingles blow off during a wind storm that, from what i gather, the winds did not exceed that amount, then doesn't that mean that the cost / liability should lie with either the installer / roofing company (if the shingles were not installed according to the manufacturers specs) or the shingle manufacturer (if the installation was done according to their specs)? So either way, shouldn't the case of who is liable for the repair be between the installer and manufacturer? I don't understand why its the home owner who has to pay in this case.

Like many others, I am also looking to have my roof re-done and I am quite interested in and would appreciate the experience / feedback / recommendations from those who had their roofs re-done a while ago because that information (the good, the bad and the ugly) will be helpful and beneficial (e.g. shingles used, how the roof has held up after X years, any issues (blown shingles, leaks,etc.), which company was used and how they responded to / resolved issues that came up especially during their "warranty periods").

Thank you in advance.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4175 posts
1331 upvotes
Paris
My guy did Gaf all around 4 years ago and not a single one of his jobs moved in all the wind. Some of the other local installers had shingles peeling off like old paint in the wind storm April/May or whenever it was.

Too far from Toronto though...
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1095 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
Had GAF Timberline installed 6 years ago, old bungalow. Haven't had any issues since then.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
20 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jacquesstrap wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:59 pm
Had GAF Timberline installed 6 years ago, old bungalow. Haven't had any issues since then.
Thanks for sharing and which roofing company did you use if you don't mind my asking?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12632 posts
2237 upvotes
London
Most roofing companies subcontract out their jobs to independent roofing crews, so all work is going to be YMMV

Even if you go to the same company, there no guarantee that you'll get the same level of workmanship as these independent roofing crews can move around between companies
Last edited by l69norm on Jun 15th, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1095 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
vicity wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:33 am
Thanks for sharing and which roofing company did you use if you don't mind my asking?
Home Depot actually, as we just bought our home and had a ton of reno expenses, so the ability to pay over 18 months no interest with the HD CC was a huge factor. If I recall their quote was fairly comparable to a few roofing companies we got quotes from.

That said, it was obviously subcontracted out, as is common practice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6421 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Cross your fingers and hope basically. Don't constantly harass your contractors but definitely check up on them as they do their installation. Tell them from the start that you want a minimum 6 nails per shingle.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Aug 25, 2006
149 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
First I think alot of this has to do with the shingle you choose. Cheaper 3 tab style are typically good to just under 100kmph while pricier architectural style are good for 160kmph+.

BTW, I had professionalroofers do my roof few years back and it held up well with no lost shingles after the big windstorm in may (Certainteed Landmark architectural shingles BTW).

That being said after reading the homestars reviews on them now and how they are shafting their customers who had wind damage by not honouring warranty work due to wind damage I'm less then impressed and hope I won't have to deal with them. I would avoid them if that is there approach.

Checked a few random other gta roofers on homestars and seems like most are honouring warranty repairs for this kind of damage. Unless I'm mistaken I believe even the crappiest quality shingles are rated to withstand the windspeeds of around 80kmph we had that day (granted gusts went up to 100kmph I believe). Looks like most 3 tabs style should handle that fine and architectural types peg in at 160+kmph ratings.

So if shingles fail they should honour no questions. Would it not be logical to assume that if they as professional installers are stating that the wind was too high yet the winds were well within the manufacturer's rated specifications the onus is on them to repair the roof or file a warranty claim with the manufacturer to reimburse them for their redo costs (an not the customer)?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14710 posts
5026 upvotes
One thing to keep in mind is that the wind warranty you are seeing is often when installed in a specific manner (number of nails and nailing pattern). This is all detailed in the instructions for the shingles, so I would make sure that if you want this level of wind resistance the installation is done according to the instructions.

For what it's worth, GAF has the Golden Pledge warranty which covers defects in workmanship for 25 years.
Jan 7, 2013
254 posts
86 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
I've had BP Mystique architectural shingles for 4 years with no issues. Same roofer did many houses in the area, and all have been fine after the wind storms.

But yeah, roofing crews....they are something alright....a different breed....
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5059 posts
1013 upvotes
Brampton
I got certainteed landmark heavy shingles installed in 2014 by Avenue road roofing. They held up pretty well during may 2018 storm. No single shingle got damaged.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3028 posts
842 upvotes
Mississauga
We had IKO Cambridge (architecturals) installed in 2009 and lost some from the first wind storm in early April and a whole bunch more after the early May storm. Not impressed with getting less than 9 years out of the shingles.

And yes, shingle bundles have instructions for nailing to withstand high winds but I doubt many roofers do that. They’re paid by the job not the hour, and adding extra nails adds more time and material costs.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
20 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dbracer wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 3:34 pm
First I think alot of this has to do with the shingle you choose. Cheaper 3 tab style are typically good to just under 100kmph while pricier architectural style are good for 160kmph+.

BTW, I had professionalroofers do my roof few years back and it held up well with no lost shingles after the big windstorm in may (Certainteed Landmark architectural shingles BTW).

That being said after reading the homestars reviews on them now and how they are shafting their customers who had wind damage by not honouring warranty work due to wind damage I'm less then impressed and hope I won't have to deal with them. I would avoid them if that is there approach.

Checked a few random other gta roofers on homestars and seems like most are honouring warranty repairs for this kind of damage. Unless I'm mistaken I believe even the crappiest quality shingles are rated to withstand the windspeeds of around 80kmph we had that day (granted gusts went up to 100kmph I believe). Looks like most 3 tabs style should handle that fine and architectural types peg in at 160+kmph ratings.

So if shingles fail they should honour no questions. Would it not be logical to assume that if they as professional installers are stating that the wind was too high yet the winds were well within the manufacturer's rated specifications the onus is on them to repair the roof or file a warranty claim with the manufacturer to reimburse them for their redo costs (an not the customer)?
Yeah exactly because if the shingles blew off as a result of the roofers not following the manufacturers instructions properly, then the onus should be on them to bear the cost of the repair but if they blew off eventhough they were properly installed according to the manufacturers instructions then they would need to go after the manufacturer to cover / reimburse their costs to repair. Either way, as long as the wind speed was within the limit specified for that shingle type (and within the warranty period), the home owner / customer should not have to bear the cost of such repairs. If anything, they should be compensated for the inconvenience. I think we as consumers need to collectively start holding these companies accountable because it seems we always getting shafted and that way, both roofers / installers as well as manufacturers (depending on where the fault seems to lie) will have to do their part / work properly the first time because they will actually be liable.

Also, thanks everyone for the feedback so far. And a reminder to include the roofer used as well where possible. I understand a roofer’s past record does not guarantee they’ll have the same work ethic now but perhaps feedback based on the past work coupled with their more recent feedback (i notice that most roofers reviews are based on more recent installations) can give some indication of how consistent they are.
May 8, 2007
768 posts
162 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I'm in BC so will omit roofer-specific info.

I had GAF Timberline HD installed 3 years ago by a small roofer company, neighbour had same type installed by HD, both roofs are holding up fine. I notice some shingle "sand" particles in the gutters but I think that's probably normal for a a few years. The tar-type substance on the shingle backsides holds the shingles together very strongly, I like that because we sometimes get very strong winds here. I waited for warm weather to get the job done as the tar stuff takes longer to work if temperatures are cold.

If you want "ridge cap" shingles as an option, make sure they use same brand as the regular roof shingles so the colour match is as close as possible.

If you are using a small roofer, be careful, some of the guys who get you signed up are just pretending to be a roofing company and they may be shady and not very experienced with roofing. My "roofer" actually just made the deal and got another company to do the actual work. The subcontractor was good but I later found out the sales guy had a criminal record (minor thefts), several lawsuits against him in previous business (siding), and was one of those guys who never pays taxes. Eventually the CRA went after him for back taxes and he went through bankruptcy proceedings, then a few years later tried to go bankrupt again. I found some of the info by searching on the BC Courts site, maybe Ontario has a similar website. Fortunately it worked out OK for me and I paid a lot less than my neighbour who used HD.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)