Feeding cat both wet and dry food.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 1:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 9, 2017
6 posts

Feeding cat both wet and dry food.

So right now I'm currently feeding my cat (3 year old) exclusively dry food. I'm thinking maybe I should start feeding her wet food, but the cost to feed her just wet food would probably be a bit too pricey.

Would it be a good idea to feed her a mix of both dry and wet food? For instance, I could probably afford to give her one small can of wet food per day and then she could eat dry food if she finishes the wet food. Is there an ideal way to implement this?
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18326 posts
3434 upvotes
Thornhill
Sure, I feed mines wet in the morning and evening, and dry left out during the day. Though they are kittens right now so they eat a lot.
Apr 26, 2017
86 posts
9 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:37 pm
Sure, I feed mines wet in the morning and evening, and dry left out during the day. Though they are kittens right now so they eat a lot.
isn't that too much to feed a kitten?
how much are u supposed to feed kittens?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18326 posts
3434 upvotes
Thornhill
anvil01 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:23 am
isn't that too much to feed a kitten?
how much are u supposed to feed kittens?
I'd recommend talking to a professional, every everyone is unique and their care will vary depending on the scenario.
Dec 7, 2016
48 posts
17 upvotes
My cats eat special food for different reasons. One gets wet and dry together in the morning, then dry the rest of the day. So it can be done, but really you should ask your vet.
Sep 16, 2006
626 posts
64 upvotes
Pickering
There is nothing wrong with mixing wet with dry. I have done it for years. I currently feed my dog premium wet and dry and I mix 1/2 and 1/2 in a bowl and feed it to her. As long as the foods are of good quality this is not a bad idea, and will actually help the cat be more hydrated.

One thing to remember- wet food spoils fast. It's not like dry where you put food out once a day and forget about it. Uneaten wet food should be picked up and thrown away after no more than 40 minutes or so. This usually isn't a problem since pets prefer wet food and will eat an entire meal when it is offered, as long as the meal is not too big.

I feed my dog breakfast, lunch, and dinner at 7:30, 1, and 7PM. It's wet mixed with dry. If she gets hungry earlier she lets me know and she has her meal then.
Nov 7, 2012
628 posts
220 upvotes
TORONTO
I give wet in the morning but by the time I get home he's crying for dry food. As others have said, it really depends on your cat.

My cat doesn't like expensive food. I used to feed him strictly Blue Buffalo dry... Now I feed him Purina dry and Friskies wet, specifically pate. He doesn't like the textured chunky wet food.

Wet food is good because sometimes cats don't drink much, which can lead to a bunch of issues. My cat is an 8 year old indoor tabby. He's super happy with the cheap crap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9157 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
kalso87 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:55 pm
So right now I'm currently feeding my cat (3 year old) exclusively dry food. I'm thinking maybe I should start feeding her wet food, but the cost to feed her just wet food would probably be a bit too pricey.

Would it be a good idea to feed her a mix of both dry and wet food? For instance, I could probably afford to give her one small can of wet food per day and then she could eat dry food if she finishes the wet food. Is there an ideal way to implement this?
my cat gets a tablespoon of wet at breakfast and dinner and grazes all day on dry kibble.

I can of wet lasts a few days.....it really isn't expensive.