• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 10:47 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 9, 2017
14 posts
4 upvotes

Feeding cat both wet and dry food.

So right now I'm currently feeding my cat (3 year old) exclusively dry food. I'm thinking maybe I should start feeding her wet food, but the cost to feed her just wet food would probably be a bit too pricey.

Would it be a good idea to feed her a mix of both dry and wet food? For instance, I could probably afford to give her one small can of wet food per day and then she could eat dry food if she finishes the wet food. Is there an ideal way to implement this?
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18609 posts
3709 upvotes
Thornhill
Sure, I feed mines wet in the morning and evening, and dry left out during the day. Though they are kittens right now so they eat a lot.
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
136 posts
20 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:37 pm
Sure, I feed mines wet in the morning and evening, and dry left out during the day. Though they are kittens right now so they eat a lot.
isn't that too much to feed a kitten?
how much are u supposed to feed kittens?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18609 posts
3709 upvotes
Thornhill
anvil01 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:23 am
isn't that too much to feed a kitten?
how much are u supposed to feed kittens?
I'd recommend talking to a professional, every everyone is unique and their care will vary depending on the scenario.
Dec 7, 2016
95 posts
27 upvotes
My cats eat special food for different reasons. One gets wet and dry together in the morning, then dry the rest of the day. So it can be done, but really you should ask your vet.
Sep 16, 2006
671 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
There is nothing wrong with mixing wet with dry. I have done it for years. I currently feed my dog premium wet and dry and I mix 1/2 and 1/2 in a bowl and feed it to her. As long as the foods are of good quality this is not a bad idea, and will actually help the cat be more hydrated.

One thing to remember- wet food spoils fast. It's not like dry where you put food out once a day and forget about it. Uneaten wet food should be picked up and thrown away after no more than 40 minutes or so. This usually isn't a problem since pets prefer wet food and will eat an entire meal when it is offered, as long as the meal is not too big.

I feed my dog breakfast, lunch, and dinner at 7:30, 1, and 7PM. It's wet mixed with dry. If she gets hungry earlier she lets me know and she has her meal then.
Nov 7, 2012
671 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
I give wet in the morning but by the time I get home he's crying for dry food. As others have said, it really depends on your cat.

My cat doesn't like expensive food. I used to feed him strictly Blue Buffalo dry... Now I feed him Purina dry and Friskies wet, specifically pate. He doesn't like the textured chunky wet food.

Wet food is good because sometimes cats don't drink much, which can lead to a bunch of issues. My cat is an 8 year old indoor tabby. He's super happy with the cheap crap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9361 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto
kalso87 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:55 pm
So right now I'm currently feeding my cat (3 year old) exclusively dry food. I'm thinking maybe I should start feeding her wet food, but the cost to feed her just wet food would probably be a bit too pricey.

Would it be a good idea to feed her a mix of both dry and wet food? For instance, I could probably afford to give her one small can of wet food per day and then she could eat dry food if she finishes the wet food. Is there an ideal way to implement this?
my cat gets a tablespoon of wet at breakfast and dinner and grazes all day on dry kibble.

I can of wet lasts a few days.....it really isn't expensive.
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
Feeding a cat dry food, is like feeding a human junk food or soda pop -- too much and the cat will end up with diabetes. A little bit is okay, but if they're eating any significant amount of it, its a sign that they're not getting enough proper (wet) food.
Feb 14, 2015
53 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I switched my cat’s food from wet & dry to raw after reading catinfo.org website. Took me almost 2months to switch my cat to raw. Now that she’s on raw, she does not shed much, her fur feels softer; she has more energy and more playful.
Mar 30, 2010
116 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
I think wet food is better but we like to travel and can't leave wet food out for the weekend! So, we feed both. We feed a scoop of dry in the morning and before bed, and a half can of fancy feast when we get home from work in the afternoon
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9361 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto
we feed our cat both....a scoop of wet at breakfast and dinner, kibble during the day for her to graze on.

My cat also rarely drinks water (despite having a cat fountain) so the wet food helps with hydration as well
Dec 5, 2017
0 posts
I have two cats now. They are 12 and 3 years old. They are extremely fussy. They don’t like anything , not even deli meats or cheeses. I’ve had cats all my life and they’ve always gobbled up everything including pasta , pizza whipped cream. I don’t know what’s going on with them.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2818 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for wet and/or dry foods that won't break the bank but will provide a relatively balanced diet for a 3.5 year old cat?

Used to do dry in the morning, wet in the evening - but now he's just on dry and feeding him Blue Buffalo Indoor food. It's a bit more expensive, but I don't mind the cost if the benefits justify it.

My cat, unlike any i've had in the past, chugs water non stop; so I know the dry food diet isn't going to dehydrate as I've been warned before but still - would want to do what's ultimately best.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare