Off Topic Archive

Locked: Feeling itchy in the house - bugs?

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2010 1:50 am
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1377 posts

Feeling itchy in the house - bugs?

Hi everyone,

our house is pretty clean, however the past few months we've been getting pretty itchy. I know we don't have bedbugs (cuz we've checked all our beds), but it feels like something jumps onto your skin and you scratch it, but there's nothing there and there's no bite mark. I would sit at the computer or couch and i would feel itchy. I don't see bugs on our clothes. It's really annoying....could it be caused by maybe dust mites? :confused:

We've clean the entire house and window sills, but we have no idea what it is? Also, we've thought the it could just be dry skin to make us itch, but that's not the case.

I don't know if I am going crazy, but has anyone ever experienced something like this in their own home?

i would love to know what it is making us itchy.> :(

Thanks. :razz:
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
I still think its dry skin, possibly an allergy.
Based on user name and number of posts, trolling is also likely.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
stealth wrote:
May 1st, 2010 7:24 pm
Well nsx did originally lock this thread this morning because, apparently, dragonrana and OP were thought to be the same person (one person, two accounts). Now it's been unlocked.

So...maybe trollish?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1715 posts
Are your sheets a light colour? If so, are there any brown/red spots on them? That's the first thing I noticed when I had bedbugs. God.. what a nightmare that was.
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
I would hazard a guess that perhaps a regular poster might create a temporary or new name to post a "personal" question like suggesting he or she may have bugs. Not necessarily to troll or play games but to "protect" his good name.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
This is what I would do for myself if I felt like you.

Winter has passed, the furnace is off and so is the humidifier for the house if you have one. If your humidifier added a good amount of humidity to the air during winter a sudden change will cause skin to dry, and quickly. If you don't have one added onto your furnace, your air is definitely dry especially if you are in an apartment. I'm also assuming you don't have bugs.

Try running a portable humidifier in your main living areas for a while and through the night in your bedroom and see how that helps. Keep your windows open long enough to allow some humidity from outside to creep in and to circulate the air. Also, get into the shower/tub with a really good loofa and exfoliate (scrub) all those dead body cells off all of your body, face, ears right down to your toes - have someone do your back. Moisturize your body well after bathing and do this consistently over the next few weeks as the humidifier restores balance in the air and your skin.

Strip the bed of all bedding, including mattress protector. Keep clean bedding on the bed at all times and take a vacuum cleaner and vacuum the top of your bare mattress to get rid of all those dead body cells (there are millions+ trust me on this). Make sure you are not washing your sheets with bleach and fabric softener for now just in case either or both of those are causing you to itch. You may be allergic and is it possible that you changed brands for those and the detergent recently? See what that tells you by leaving those out of the wash and then reintroduce one at a time. Clean your washing machine first by running a cycle of water to say 1 cup vinegar.

Eat properly, drink plenty of fluids, preferably water and you should be well on your way to feeling much better. :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34443 posts
stealth wrote:
May 1st, 2010 7:24 pm
I notice a lot of people purposely sign up for accounts just to ask questions...
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8279 posts
It's dry skin caused by hard water.
Stop supporting monopolistic companies like Bell and Rogers if you want positive change in the Canadian telecommunications industry.
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15598 posts
Niagara Falls
Switch your bed sheets to white. Wear a white shirt around the house. If by the end of the day you notice black, red, brown, purple, etc dots all over your shirt/sheets, I got bad news, bro.

I've been battling bedbugs since September 2009. Hopefully when I move this nightmare will be over.
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
Okay, seeing the posts re: bedbugs.

Where in Toronto are the apartments with bedbugs please??

We might be moving downtown to an apartment and I would have a heart attack if we got a place with bedbugs!!!

Thankyou and sorry to OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I think you've been given great advice by okaywithme and others, good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
hyperion wrote:
May 1st, 2010 9:38 pm
It's dry skin caused by hard water.
And crappy soaps with chemicals like dove, olay ect, the popular body washes are very harsh...

use real oilve oil soap. I used to and my skin was never dry. bought a bar at an enthnic shop. cheap too like $3 for a large soap like a brick...
smells like......nothing or olive oil.

the detergent you use.

fabric sofener. bad for the environment,ruins clothing, makes itchy!
Dec 9, 2008
844 posts
why dont you post under your real user name? i cant believe people care about their online rep so much.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13414 posts
Full blown AIDS.
is the new
rock 'n'
× < >