Food & Drink

Feeling sick after Chinese/Vietnamese food....

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2015 6:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Did you ask for the full experience?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
gelato69 wrote: It seems that we hear news stories everyday how there is a new allergy discovered. Look at gluten. That only started being a thing like 10 years ago.
If it's not food poisoning of some sort and you are bored with time and money to spend, ask a doctor to do an allergy test on you.
Gluten... I know of only one person (an inlaw) who has a very serious gluten allergy to the point that if a pizza w/ gluten touches a cutting board and us taken off then his gluten free one touches it, his stomach will scream for days... But this is an extreme case.

I laughed at the last person who tried to convert me to gluten free everything because gluten is poison...
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2014
1239 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
I just had some "Chicken On the Rocks" and I feel the exact same way right now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: You guessed it, MSG.
AirCarnivore wrote: Yup it's MSG, same thing happens to me.
Except it's not. If you can eat Italian without having the same symptoms it's in your head. Parmesan is basically cheese flavored MSG.
Same idea with basically any sort of processed food. This includes restaurants.
You also cannot eat basic ingredients like Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Soy Sauce, Grape Juice, Peas, or Walnuts.
If you legitimate had an MSG allergy, there'd be a VERY limited menu you could even come near let alone eat.
Nov 12, 2007
251 posts
5 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Except it's not. If you can eat Italian without having the same symptoms it's in your head. Parmesan is basically cheese flavored MSG.
Same idea with basically any sort of processed food. This includes restaurants.
You also cannot eat basic ingredients like Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Soy Sauce, Grape Juice, Peas, or Walnuts.
If you legitimate had an MSG allergy, there'd be a VERY limited menu you could even come near let alone eat.
I never said I had an MSG allergy, I'm sensitive to higher concentrations of it, which, you guessed it, are found in Chinese and Vietnamese food.
Glutamates are naturally found in some foods (mushrooms and tomatoes) in trace amounts.
Oct 18, 2010
707 posts
108 upvotes
BCAB
I actually don't think it's the MSG. I actually think it's the way Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants in Canada tenderise their meat... Soaking their cheap garbage meat into baking soda for a day.

Anybody think that's the cause?
Feb 16, 2011
728 posts
316 upvotes
bavarianboy wrote:

I am referring to stuff and techniques like these.... your thoughts? can humans digest this stuff?
yes humans can digest this stuff...

method 1: egg whites, corn starch, salt, cooking wine --> all edible and digestible last time i checked...if you're not familiar with corn starch it's used as a thickening agent and gives food that glossy/shiny look you get at asian restaurants...also sometimes used as a coating for food that will be fried

method 2: sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) --> since this is a base it'll be neutralized by your stomach acids and produce a harmless salt and eventually water and carbon dioxide...neither of which should cause anything since it's the same as drinking pop basically.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
AirCarnivore wrote: I never said I had an MSG allergy, I'm sensitive to higher concentrations of it, which, you guessed it, are found in Chinese and Vietnamese food.
In that case, you'd never be able to eat at any other restaurant either.
Or most processed foods.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: In that case, you'd never be able to eat at any other restaurant either.
Or most processed foods.
lol + 2 on this....

OP and others if they think they have a grease, MSG or processed/tenderized meat allergies.....don't eat at McD's or any other fast food joints...or any frozen. processed or already prepared foods...

Best to eat at home, safest and least amount of chemicals....unless you add sauces/marinades that you didn't make yourself...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
I use MSG on everything. I even put it in my cereal.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
There's MSG in potato chips. How does everyone feel after eating chips?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3200 posts
180 upvotes
Shawns13 wrote: How has the OP not been banned, yet?
How do you still have animated avatar?