Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
26 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa

Fido 2yr contract vs Koodo Tab

So i was looking at Fido's website and they like to show how their two year contract is better than the tab (ie Koodo). At first I thought, yeah right, but then I realized fido has a point:

Get a $150 phone on a 2 yr contract = $0
+ earn fido dollars (only 5% of monthly bill). So on a $15/month plan you can get a phone for zero if you sign a contract.

Koodo....similar $15 plan but at 10%/month (1.50) it will take 100 months to pay off a $150 phone.

So with Fido you can spend $15/month and get a new phone for $0 with every 2 yr contract but with Koodo you need to keep the phone for 8 years (with this example) to get the phone for $0.

I did not expect Fido to be right, to be honest.... am I missing something?
I do realize, no ECF with Koodo, just pay the tab and go.
8 replies
Aug 30, 2006
729 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
The only problem is, if anything ever goes wrong with your fido service, your gonna be paying a lot of money. I just cancelled Fido and decided that paying $100 was worth more than 5 months are terrible service.
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
The new Fido ads are misleading and stupid to be honest, I've read on forums that there is a $25 service to use your Fido Dollars.
A tab is much better, if you want to leave, you only pay out the rest of the phone. Whereas with Fido, you're obligated to pay
out the rest of the service too. Also, the plan may be $15, but you've got to account for caller id, SAF, 911 fee, all that. Tab FTW, unless you don't mind being locked up for 2 years
Oct 20, 2010
364 posts
42 upvotes
Durham Region
I'm pretty sure you also have to take a minimum $25 a month plan with Fido to get the phone free. Right now Koodo has a special on the LG Optimus One too. You pay $50 up front, $150 on your tab. You can knock $25 off of the tab with a referral and you get a $100 Visa gift card which you should also be able to use toward your tab. That leaves you with $25 to pay off. On a $15 a month plan that takes about 17 months to be rid of. You can even pay off that last $25 by referring 1 person. Theoretically you could have the phone for $50 and it's supposed to be really great for the price. After that you still earn 10% of your monthly spending and you can use that toward a new phone when you're ready to upgrade. A tab can be more flexible if you want to change phones more often but a lot of times takes way more time to pay off than a 2 year contract. There's supposed to be a promo on for unlimited data free for your first 10 days. They just launched a flex data plan available to any customer for all phones except Blackberry, and if you ever need unlimited messaging (text and picture?) it's $5 on Koodo instead of $10 for unlimited text from Fido with no picture or video messages included. Have a look here for all the details. :) http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fs-koodo ... c-1014780/

Koodo doesn't have 2G to fall back on if you lose HSPA coverage and they seem to have a very limited retentions department.There aren't any cancellation fees (other than paying off your tab) but Koodo does charge you to call customer service for most things. You can do them online through self serve on your own though and avoid the cost. If Koodo customer service is anything compared to Telus's, and you ever do have to call them for soemthing, they can be a real pain in the butt to deal with. My own experience with Fido has been really good, other than them switching me off the promo data eligible for a credit to the one with credits blocked. Telus, not so much. If you ever do become a high volume data user Koodo's plans only go up to 1GB/$30 on the flex plan and after that it's $0.02/MB. Fido has retail plans up to 5GB, promo plans of $30/6GB, and their flex plan through retentions gives you $25/1GB and occasionally you can even get a credit to take a few bucks off.

Both have their good and bad points. Both also have return policies if you want to give either one, or even both, a try before deciding.

EDIT: Apparently you can't use the visa GCs to pay off your tab.
Aug 19, 2006
980 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Jessica is right, apparently you need to be at least on 25$/mo plan to get a phone from Fido. At least that's what I was told when I tried to renew 15$ contract with Fido. However I tried to add a 15$ plan and a phone to a cart thru their website and it worked fine. :confused:
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
26 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
krypton wrote:
Mar 16th, 2011 1:53 pm
Jessica is right, apparently you need to be at least on 25$/mo plan to get a phone from Fido. At least that's what I was told when I tried to renew 15$ contract with Fido. However I tried to add a 15$ plan and a phone to a cart thru their website and it worked fine. :confused:

That's odd. Nowhere on their site does it say: This phone is $0 with a 2 year plan of $25 or more! I will have to ask. If its true, very sneaky!

Maybe I'll just stay prepaid! Although even with that they have increased the cost of outgoing texts from 15cents to 20cents....this must have just happened recently.
Oct 20, 2010
364 posts
42 upvotes
Durham Region
Morgan2010 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2011 2:32 pm
That's odd. Nowhere on their site does it say: This phone is $0 with a 2 year plan of $25 or more! I will have to ask. If its true, very sneaky!

Maybe I'll just stay prepaid! Although even with that they have increased the cost of outgoing texts from 15cents to 20cents....this must have just happened recently.

For prepaid, check PC (president's choice) mobile. They have some good options for daily if you use it occasionally, and monthly too. If you top up $25 a month they give you $35 total to choose features like text, IM, browsing, and of course calling. If you don't want to top up that much you still have access to the features and you can still use the daily options. The $25 is a new policy to get a subsidized phone. Anyway... if you need a new phone and want to go with PC, check the hot deals section. You can still get that koodo phone I mentioned earlier but on Friday it's going down to $150 and you still get the $100 visa and you should still be able to get a $25 referral. Unlocking is about $10, a PC sim is $10 with $10 on it already in credit. Good luck, I hope you find what you need. :)
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
26 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I did check that out thanks. Looks reasonable. Reminds me of the prices prepaid used to be! I noticed that PC mobile has a Nokia phone that is advertised as SIM compatible. Does anyone know if that means they are starting to use the Bell HSPA network, or simply that the phone will take a SIM (ie I could put my Fido SIM in the phone just to access the contacts etc, not the network??) Theoretically if it is just that the phone will accept a SIM (and not use it for the bell network right now) would that mean the phone could work if you travelled internationally and bought a SIM for the country you are in? Just curious. Its a "no frills" provider and I am not expecting the world from them. For the low cost rates you cannot expect top notch service......
Oct 20, 2010
364 posts
42 upvotes
Durham Region
Morgan2010 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2011 4:45 pm
I did check that out thanks. Looks reasonable. Reminds me of the prices prepaid used to be! I noticed that PC mobile has a Nokia phone that is advertised as SIM compatible. Does anyone know if that means they are starting to use the Bell HSPA network, or simply that the phone will take a SIM (ie I could put my Fido SIM in the phone just to access the contacts etc, not the network??) Theoretically if it is just that the phone will accept a SIM (and not use it for the bell network right now) would that mean the phone could work if you travelled internationally and bought a SIM for the country you are in? Just curious. Its a "no frills" provider and I am not expecting the world from them. For the low cost rates you cannot expect top notch service......

They now use CDMA and HSPA on the Bell network. That's why I suggested the LG Optimus One. It's more bang for your buck compared to the HSPA compatible phones PC has. And yes if you unlock and go to another country you can put a SIM in from a local provider as long as the phone is compatible with the network.
× < >