• Dec 16th, 2012 12:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2007
300 posts
69 upvotes

Fido 30 days notification

My agreement with FIDO is ending on Dec. 4. I called in today to tell the CSR I am not going to renew it. But I was told I had to give them 30 days grace period to cancel the plan. I think this is ridiculous. My contract is ending and I choose not to renew it, how come I have to pay them another 1 month? I would like to know what if I choose not paying them and just port my number to Wind on Dec. 4? Is there any impact to my credit?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
1983 posts
104 upvotes
North York
The last time I closed an account with Fido I was upset about the 30-day notice rule and retention came with the idea to change my plan to prepaid. I was told to not activate the prepaid account and then my account will just be closed just like that.
May 14, 2010
878 posts
53 upvotes
Halifax
I assume Rogers and Fido have the same policy. In my case Im not doing a port and Im still under contract

How does the 30 day notice work? Do you have to call in, give notice and then call back again in 30 days. Or do you give notice and 30 days later the service is canceled
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2961 posts
2898 upvotes
Montreal
RandomCDN wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 7:18 am
I assume Rogers and Fido have the same policy. In my case Im not doing a port and Im still under contract

How does the 30 day notice work? Do you have to call in, give notice and then call back again in 30 days. Or do you give notice and 30 days later the service is canceled
If you're not porting, just want to cancel your contract rightaway and want to avoid to pay the 30 days notification then you have to do the porting...

You can go to Virgin Mobile store to activate a prepaid SIM card $0 without top up any money or you can go to Petro Canada and buy $5 prepaid simcard then you can call Virgin Mobile or Petro Canada to port your Rogers over...

From my experience and others when porting out of Rogers...

1) If we port to Petro Canada, somehow Rogers system not charging for 30 days notice and we don't have to do anything.

2) If we port to others Bell/VirginMobile/Telus, etc... then Rogers will auto charge us 30 days notice in the final bill...

To get the 30 days notice back, you can file a complain to CCTS and get back the 30 days notice...

http://misener.org/how-to-avoid-paying- ... in-canada/

===

BTW, if you're in Quebec or Manitoba and want to port out or cancel rightaway without port out... You can do that whenever you want without have to pay the 30 days notice because Rogers TOS clearly said that in section 35...
35.Applicable only to Residents of Québec:

Applicable charges continue to apply until the date of the notice or a future date specified therein (if applicable), whichever is later. The transfer of your telephone number to another telecommunications service provider constitutes a termination of the applicable Service(s)
So just port out or give them any future date of cancellation (make sure it note in your account). If the Rogers system charge you 30 days, just call them and they will have to credit you.

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/TOS_Eng.pdf
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1462 posts
156 upvotes
Port over to Rogers ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Nov 22, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Hi there!

My name is Faiza and I work on Fido's Social Media.
Yes, a 30 days notice does apply upon cancelling an account or porting the number out to an other provider. Let me contact you through private message for more information.

Thank you!
Faiza@Fidomobile
buluan wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 5:30 pm
My agreement with FIDO is ending on Dec. 4. I called in today to tell the CSR I am not going to renew it. But I was told I had to give them 30 days grace period to cancel the plan. I think this is ridiculous. My contract is ending and I choose not to renew it, how come I have to pay them another 1 month? I would like to know what if I choose not paying them and just port my number to Wind on Dec. 4? Is there any impact to my credit?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
FidoSolution wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:18 pm
Hi there!

My name is Faiza and I work on Fido's Social Media.
Yes, a 30 days notice does apply upon cancelling an account or porting the number out to an other provider. Let me contact you through private message for more information.

Thank you!
Faiza@Fidomobile
Hi Dear,

Care to explain how this http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/guide work?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Well I may be porting out from Fido too.

As far as I know the 30 days is bogus. Many people put in a complaint with the CCTS and win.

In my case I would just call my credit card company and put in a chargeback.

You CAN'T charge someone for dead air. That is unless they are in a contract.

I am on a month to month basis, so charging me won't work. I can't be charged as long as I leave before the next billing cycle.

It's ridiclous if someone thinks they can charge someone for dead air... and a service they are not even using anymore.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2007
300 posts
69 upvotes
I ended up porting out from FIDO on Dec. 03, one day before the contract end. Since the last month bill had already been charged at the beginning of the cycle, I think I don't owe anything to FIDO.
My CC registered with FIDO had been cancelled already, I believe I won't get charged, correct?
I received an email from FIDO yesterday indicating my new invoice is $136.14. I wonder how FIDO get this number? My contract with FIDO was just 25 + tax. How should I respond to this email? Shall I just ignore it?
Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9361 posts
1935 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
buluan wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 10:43 pm
I ended up porting out from FIDO on Dec. 03, one day before the contract end. Since the last month bill had already been charged at the beginning of the cycle, I think I don't owe anything to FIDO.
My CC registered with FIDO had been cancelled already, I believe I won't get charged, correct?
I received an email from FIDO yesterday indicating my new invoice is $136.14. I wonder how FIDO get this number? My contract with FIDO was just 25 + tax. How should I respond to this email? Shall I just ignore it?
Thanks.
One day before your contract ended? Why not wait until it ended? Likely part of the last charge is an early termination fee.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Dec 17, 2007
300 posts
69 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 8:48 am
One day before your contract ended? Why not wait until it ended? Likely part of the last charge is an early termination fee.
I've paid the fee at the beginning of the cycle, which means I didn't terminate it earlier. I just gave up using their service which I've already paid. Anyway, even I terminate it earlier, it's only one day earlier. How come they charge me $100+ for one day earlier terminate?
Mar 18, 2005
287 posts
76 upvotes
There is a minimum early cancellation fee of $100. By porting out(terminating service, aka cancelling) before your contract end date you will incur the early cancellation fee.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9361 posts
1935 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
buluan wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 7:46 pm
I've paid the fee at the beginning of the cycle, which means I didn't terminate it earlier. I just gave up using their service which I've already paid. Anyway, even I terminate it earlier, it's only one day earlier. How come they charge me $100+ for one day earlier terminate?
Prepaid is paying before. All contract with cells in Canada are post paid, meaning paid after invoicing for prior usage.

You terminated a day before your contract ended. Likely, your contract terms stipulated a minimum cancelation fee. That's why I asked why you didn't wait a day. Call in and see if they will reduce it for you. $100 is crazy for 1 day, but might be contractually covered.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
× < >