Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $10, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2024 4:16 pm
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener

[Fido] [Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $10, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

Get 2GB of tablet data for only $10/month! (updated July 2022)
Get 2GB of data for $10 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one*.

* Subject to change without notice. A Setup Service Fee of $50 applies to set up your device and related services. Taxes extra. Available to Fido postpaid customers with a Data, Talk and Text plan (Talk & Text, Basic, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible).
1. Data Overage Protection: No overage fees, purchasable data addon: $15/1GB. Standard roaming charges apply. Taxes extra.

F.A.Q:
Q: What's with the "existing wireless customers" restriction?
A: For past deals, it seemed that stores were not enforcing that rule and RFD'ers have reported success getting the deal in store without being existing customers. Some reporting they were denied over chat/phone though others were reporting success after multiple attempts, so if you want this deal your best bet is doing it in store and ASAP.

Q: Tried my luck in store, over the phone and online, no go without a "wireless plan", all hope lost?
A: Not at all, you can just get the cheapest wireless plan available (signing up online would waive the $40 activation fee for the wireless plan), get the data plan (now that you are eligible) and cancel/port-out the wireless plan later on if you no longer need it (there is no requirement to keep the wireless plan).

Q: What's the deal with the free tablet?
A: If you are willing to commit for 2 years, then Fido offers heavily discounted tablets to go with the data only plans, you can usually get $0 new/refurb tablets (or even better, higher discounts that go toward the data plan), the "existing wireless customers" condition remains unchanged though. Furthermore, unlike BYOD plans, the plans with tablet can be ordered online if you are an existing customer.

Q: Will this work on a regular smart phone ?
A: Yes, just be aware of the voice/SMS charges (voice: $1 per minute + $0.45 LD, SMS: $0.25 each in Canada, $0.45 each elsewhere). Just remember the plan is not intended to be used in phones, while Fido hasn't gone into any measures (as of now) to enforce that usage policy yet support agents can see your current device (IMEI) and might disable data and/or flag your account if you are blatant about it, so if you have issues using this plan in a phone you might NOT want to call Fido about it.

Q: How are people making best use of this data-only plan ?
A: by either using it for data in a dual SIM phone, or using it as a primary sim coupled with VoIP service (fongo/voip.ms) once they port their main number over to the VoIP provider.
For more info please check the tech discussion thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wip-fido ... n-2142620/

Q: Why isn't my LTE device connecting to LTE network despite being in coverage ?
A: Check your APN settings: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/con ... vice-guide

Q: What about roaming outside Canada?
A: International/US roaming is not free, make sure you disable it on your phone or call Fido and get them to disable it for you.

Q: and roaming across Canada?
A: Free.

Q: Can I block voice/SMS to avoid accidental charges ?
A: Yes, you can block either incoming (SMS AND voice) or outgoing (SMS AND voice) or block both, call support and just ask. 4GB plans will have voice/SMS disabled by default.

Q: Is receiving SMS free?
A: yup. 4GB plans will have voice/SMS disabled by default.

Q: If I am not going to use the number for SMS/voice does it really matter which phone number I get?
A: yes, you will get charged taxes on your bill based on your number.

Q: Is the SIM free? can I get an eSIM?
A: Yes, SIM is included for free, YMMV on eSIM, while you can't get one during sign up you can get an eSIM voucher afterward in-store then activate online (price goes from $0 if you ask nicely to $14).

Q: Can existing customers get multiple line discount when jumping on this ?
A: nope, data-only plans are not eligible.

Q: Any referrals discounts?
A: While not officially eligible, data-only customers can still refer/get referred for $25 (or $50 till Dec 31, 2020) each, check https://fido.sparkrefer.com/ for more info (remember: openly offering, requesting, or hinting referrals is against the forum posting rules).

Q: What about loyalty discounts?
A: Currently Fido offers a 50% and 100% off (for 12 or 24 months) on data plans as a retention/loyalty offer, call after your 3rd bill is issued (6th bill if you are in a two-year contract) and ask if you are eligible.

Q: Just managed to get a loyalty/retention discount on my existing line, when should the discounts be reflected on my online account?
A: They won't, promotional credits will only show on your monthly bill.

Q: Signing up for an online promo and even though the discounts are initially correctly shown my final checkout page has a messed up total, do I need to worry?
A: Everyone had the very same experience, your discounts are correctly shown till the checkout page where everything gets a little off, furthermore, once your order goes through your first bill will have only partial discounts because of the billing cycle mismatch (causing it to be slightly higher) the 2nd bill and forward will have full discounts applied, that is normal and nothing to worry about. People looking to minimize the effect of the mismatch should sign up as close as possible to the end of their billing cycle (as Fido prorates the days between activation and the start of the new billing cycle). Nonetheless, keep screenshots showing the discounts in your cart in the unlikely case that you need them.
Images
  • 2017-02-03.png
  • findo.JPG
  • Annotation 2019-05-07 101550.png
  • Annotation 2019-11-23 031221.png
  • Annotation 2020-01-19 140155.png
  • Annotation 2020-06-26 005643.png
  • Screenshot 2021-10-26 015854.png
  • Screenshot 2022-02-03 012931.png
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 3rd, 2017 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Update 05Feb24
A useful tip from this thread: Fido Home Phone. This situation also applies to Fido data-only plans that don't get texts so the solution and phone number should be applicable when porting the number out and probably also when requesting a free eSIM, i.e. to get them to send the QR text to another number.
chimaican wrote: To Port Out your Home Phone

As I learned today, you can't just simply port out a Wireless Home Phone the traditional way a home phone can. Normally the port IN company just requests and the number is transferred, but because Fido is traditionally a mobile company, they send a confirmation text message you need to approve the port (YES or NO), which you can not do with a home phone. I wasted an entire week and multiple failed attempts to port out and ended paying for two home phones. Finally a knowledgeable Fido rep told me I needed to call a special department, 1-866-405-8694, and they would bypass the text message requirement and push any port request on the home phone. Took me a week and wasted hours with both Bell and Fido agents. 😡
Confirmation that this number is legit and intended for this purpose:
-------------------------
Update 03Nov2023
Rogers, Fido now let you switch to eSIM online for free!

Update 08Nov2022 and 31Jan24
Advice for getting an eSIM for free

I just went to an official Fido store and asked for a QR code to convert my physical SIM to eSIM. The clerk volunteered that if she activated the SIM in-store I could avoid the usual $10 charge. (If I just took the QR card activated it online she'd have to charge me $10.)

So naturally I let her activate in-store. She asked for the phone number on the physical SIM. I looked it up in the Settings on my new Pixel 7. Even though that came up on their system as assigned to a Samsung tablet on a data-only plan, she either didn't notice or didn't care.

Then she wanted to see some ID, e.g. driver's license, and sign an account change authorization. I did that and took the QR card away, Keep in mind that at that point the physical SIM no longer works. Also you need WiFi in order to download the eSIM data in order to load it into your device. Anyway, I was in and out of the store in five minutes. It was a very pleasant experience.

When I got home all I had to do was go into Settings, add an eSIM and follow the prompts. It then took a reboot for the eSIM to work. I then removed the physical SIM from the phone and taped it to the QR card for reference.

I have no idea if this procedure to get a free eSIM is unique to this Fido store or if it works at third-party Fido stores like Wireless Wave. Perhaps like everything else at Fido it's YMMV. But I thought I'd share in case it helps others.

31Jan31: Fido now allows customers to switch to eSIMs online. See Manage SIM. However this won't work for data-only SIMs because they can't receive the text that contains the eSIM information. So if a Fido store wants to charge for an eSIM, try pointing out that you couldn't do this online for free because this is for a tablet data plan that can't receive texts.

Update 07/19/2022
Data-only plan account holders (with no eligible DT&T plans) can no longer order tablets online.

Update 02/03/2022
Data reduced to 2GB for the $10 plan, 4GB plan is available for $15

Update 09/23/2021
Some Data-only plan account holders (with no eligible DT&T plans) can no longer order tablets online.

Update 09/08/2021
ctexcel: Fido 4GB viable alternatives
Fizz: Fido 4GB viable alternatives
3HK: Fido 4GB viable alternatives
tbaytel: 20GB with 1 year expiry for $150l
Data Only Plans

Update 08/11/2021
Per the majority of the reports, it seems that active term contract holders are safe (for now), though if you got the email it's better to call and confirm for yourself.
ThiruIO wrote: Moments ago, I just received a call from FIDO indicating the following:
Account #1 (100% discounted, no hardware contract) will indeed be changed to $15/mo 250MB plan -- if I wanted to keep it, which I chose not to. Cancelled the account before the call ended.
Account #2 ($5/mo for Tablet + 4GB until July 2022) will NOT CHANGE. It will remain unaffected until the end of the term. At the end of the term, it will be in the same position as account #1.
Update 08/04/2021
As of today many of the data-only plan holders including those with an active term agreement received the following C&D email from Fido

Be sure to consider all your options in light of the agreement you signed with Fido (as it's legally binding for both parties).

Update 07/28/2021
pjw918 wrote: Send text, pic, video & voice messages to Fido data SIM

Discovered you can send text messages to a Fido data SIM by simply adding a subject line - this will convert the SMS to MMS.
Or, send via group MMS (the sender's group message setting may have to be changed).. sender can cc themself.
Long text messages (>160 char) will automatically be converted to MMS, and delivered to the data line.
IOW, the Fido data SIM can receive MMS messages, but not SMS.
There is no charge for incoming MMS.

In fact, you can receive audio MMS (voice messaging) and photo or video messages sent to the data line.
In a pinch you can send MMS from your data SIM, but you'll see PPU on the bill (0.50 per MMS sent).
With the $5/mo texting add-on you can send 200 MMS without PPU (but no SMS, regardless).
SMS is blocked on current data plans, you cannot send or receive.

You would have to educate your contacts on how to send texts via MMS, adding a subject line is easy.
Or simply tell them your line can receive audio and image messages (but not SMS!).
You can add text content to any audio/image MMS.

Not useful for 3rd party authentication or 2FA purposes.

--
send video too
$5 add-on
Update 07/11/2021 If you are willing to commit for 2 years, then Fido offers heavily discounted tablets to go with the data only plans, you can usually get $0 new/refurb tablets (or even better, higher discounts that go toward the data plan), the "existing wireless customers" condition remains unchanged though. Furthermore, unlike BYOD plans, the plans with tablet can be ordered online if you are an existing customer.

Update 07/11/2021 There is a recurring glitch on Fido's website, that happens every now and then where the data-only plan gets incorrectly listed under the "Text and Data" plans, while this (thankfully) means the "existing wireless customer" requirement can be dodged (new customers can order the plan) none of the advertised "Text and Data" features will work (so don't call Fido to complain). The glitch usually lasts few days and sometimes you need to switch the website to a specific province to see it.

Update 06/03/2021 Several reports about the ISPU loophole patched, if you need to get into the system in the least problematic way stick the old methods detailed in the OP.

Update 25Mar22 Loophole closed Update 02/22/21 A clever way around the requirement to have a voice/text line before ordering the data line--doable all from the comfort of your PC or phone.
1. Order online a voice/text plan for In Store Pick Up (ISPU.) (Ordering online avoids the $45 activation fee.) You now have an account with voice/text plan.
2. Order online a data or tablet/data plan and have it shipped to home.
3. DO NOT pick up 1. so that it expires unactivated after 3 days.
4. DO keep 2. when it arrives at your door.
AFAIK no one who's done this has reported that their 2. was cancelled because 3. expired.

Update 25Mar22 Loophole closed Update 10/29/20 While not officially eligible, data-only customers can now refer/get referred for $25 (or $50 till Dec 31, 2020) each, check https://fido.sparkrefer.com/ for more info (remember: openly offering, requesting, or hinting referrals is against the forum posting rules). Thanks Bylo for the heads up.

Update 7/3/20 Tablets are now available to order online for Fido account holders (including those with just data-only lines), you can order a CPO/new one with 4GB plan for $5/$10 a month (both device and data) for 24 months, just log in and click "add a line -> new phone -> tablet" and go from there. Read here for more info.

Update 6/7/20: Price dropped from $15 to $10

Update 2/13/20 Data back to 4GB for $15

Update 1/19/20: Data dropped from 4GB to 2GB and price raised from $10 to $15

Update 11/23/19: Price dropped from $15 to $10 (thanks @thatdealguy for the headsup)

Update 5/17/19: Fido just updated the Data only plan to 4GB, existing customers were able to upgrade on YMMV bases for those with 50% discount and/or not having a voice plan (success in both cases reported on both chat and phone). Just note most reported losing the free SMS receive capability once upgraded from 3GB to 4GB.

Update 3/21/19: there was a policy/promotion update and now this “limited time” 100% rebate deal is only available through retentions, over the phone

Update 3/20/19: Couple of reports about Fido reinstating the 100% off for 12 months "loyalty" discount, YMMV (for now).

Copied from post #5155 (and updated to reflect current deal as of Feb 2019)
ElroyJetson wrote: A quick highlight summary ..for those who don't want to skim 5,000+ posts in the thread to figure out what is going on.

The $15 3GB data only plan

1. Fido periodically runs a 3GB data plan promo for $15 /month. This is a great BYOD, data only plan without voice minutes or SMS. Good for web use or your own personal hotspot. You can also use an app like TextNow to send to make free calls & text msgs via data. Or you could do it more elegantly at a modest cost via voip.ms or similar.

This plan is intended for existing Fido customers only but Fido reps can sign non-customers up. YMMV on this and some locations are more obliging than others. This offer is also intended for tablets only but it will work in your phone if you want to use it there. Read the thread if you need confirmation about this, don't press the point with the rep who may will probably just get annoyed and read you the official fine print that says for tablet use only. This is a BYOD, month to month plan.

There is also a term version of this plan which rolled up a "free" tablet into the original offer. When done as a term plan it is usually structured as a 2yr term plan that gives you this 3GB for $15 per month plan plus a free tablet and a $100 credit. Extra swag is great but remember that it does lock you down for 2 years.

It gets even better

2. Fido also has a retention offer for people who have had this plan for at least 3 months. Cell plans have been competitive lately and Fido doesn't want to lose customers. The offer is a 50% discount for one (or two) year. This offer is supposed to be used to retain customers who want to cancel or leave Fido. It's a retention offer to keep you around. It's also live, I know someone who got it just today.

After you've had the data only plan for 3+ months (6 months if under a contract), start a chat session or phone to ask about the offer. It's not that hard to obtain although it may take several tries as not every rep will be willing to give it to you or even know about it. And no, you cannot get the retention aka loyalty offer if you've had the plan less than 3 months.

If a rep says no, be polite, end the chat session, wait 3 min so that rep will be engaged with another customer and try again. Do not mention the forums, do not complain that you know someone else who got it, so why aren't you giving it to me (foot stomp). That's counterproductive to say the least. Just politely end the chat or call and try again. Tell the rep that you are thinking of moving to another provider because [tell them about a competitor's offer]. But you heard that a friend of yours got a loyalty offer for 12 months and you'd like to get that too and remain with Fido.

Those who have the term version of the $15 3GB plan (got a free tablet), previously needed to pay out the term before they could get the retention offer. Lately it seems that requirement is being waived & people are getting the retention offer even if they have a tablet "balance" remaining on their account. The key point is that you've had the data only plan for at least 3 months before trying to get the retention offer.

Try not to screw this up for all of us

Overages are no longer included in the loyality discount.

You can read 300 pages into the thread for more details if you want to. But this is pretty much the score.
----------
For the archeologists in the crowd, here are previous threads on earlier Fido data promos. There's lots of info in there on a variety of related topics, from choosing/configuring VoIP options, troubleshooting, dealing with Fido over billing errors, getting referral bonuses (but read above about posting referral requests), etc.

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth spending some time in these (or use Search if you have a specific topic in mind.) There's lots of gold buried in these hills...bylo
[Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15/mo IS BACK. Flaming HOT (extended till March 31)
[Fido] Fido Mobile Internet Flex data Plan 15$/ Month upto 3GB Data only plan
----------

Updated summary @ Feb 28, 2019
All credit to the OP
Just wanted to summarize what is the current state of these two promos because this has become a very long thread to read

In short,
1. Fido runs a periodic promo for a great $15 a month, BYOD 3GB data only plan.
2. And Fido also has a current retention offer if you've had this data only plan for at least 3 months. No exceptions but the offer is (wow) a 50% discount for 12/24 months.

------------

Q. What if Fido won't let me have a data plan without first having a cell voice/text plan?
A1. Keep trying. You're most likely to get this deal at an independent phone store like Best Buy Mobile or some independent kiosk in a mail. These guys work on commission. Many will go to great lengths on your behalf to earn a living. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying. Remember that this is YMMV. Persistence pays off.
A2. If A1 fails, you could play Fido's game and get a cell phone plan at the same time you get the tablet deal. Then within the 14 day no-fee, no-explanation-required cancellation period, cancel the cell plan. That way you've met the requirement to have a cell plan at the time you get the tablet/data deal. There's no requirement by Fido that you have to maintain the cell plan in order to keep the tablet/data plan.

----------

Q. If I want the data plan only and I am not an existing voice/data customer, I understand I can sign up for the voice/data plan and this tablet plan and cancel the voice/data plan. How do I just keep the tablet plan?
A1. The safest option is to port the number out of the voice/data plan. That way you don't have to speak with anyone who might notice what you're doing and then give you grief about it. Then you can cancel the plan you ported to.

----------
20012 replies
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
VoIP options:
ok, to help minimize the clutter, please post anything technical about the plan (voip, usage, apps, phone setup, .. etc) in the tech discussion thread.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wip-fido ... n-2142620/

Keep this thread for details related to the actual current promo (availability, locations, tips and tricks for successfully signing up .. etc).

Available addons:
StickySituation wrote: I just confirmed that you can have the following add-ons for this plan

Texting:
- $5/200 texts
- $10/unlimited texting

Call forwarding:
- All calls (incoming/outgoing/forwarded) are charged airtime at a base rate of $1/min
- pay-per-use call forwarding is an additional $0.20/min (I confirmed that caller ID will be passed onto the forwarded number)
- forwarding to a non-local number is an additional $0.55/min
- or get $3/2500 minutes of call forwarding to a local number

Call Display: $7/month
Name Display: $8/month

Value pack add-on
- http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/add-ons/value-packs
- unlimited texting, 2500 call forwarding minutes, Name display, voicemail-to-text, and other things
- costs $5/month
- requires call display (additional $7/month) so total cost is $12/month
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1404 posts
558 upvotes
Question about porting phone numbers. If I cancel my current mobile plan now before signing up for this 3gb plan, how much time do I have to port over my number to something like Fongo?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Airbum88 wrote: Question about porting phone numbers. If I cancel my current mobile plan now before signing up for this 3gb plan, how much time do I have to port over my number to something like Fongo?
If you cancel your current mobile plan you lose your number, you need to port out "before" cancelling (actually porting out will automatically cancel whatever plan associated to the number).
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1404 posts
558 upvotes
aasoror wrote: If you cancel your current mobile plan you lose your number, you need to port out "before" cancelling (actually porting out will automatically cancel whatever plan associated to the number).
Thanks. And, can we still get the Best Buy $50 GC?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Airbum88 wrote: Thanks. And, can we still get the Best Buy $50 GC?
Nope, that was one of the reasons to retire the original thread, so much confusion with the expired promos.
No gift card, no free tablet, no 2 year contract.
Jan 26, 2017
33 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I heard from a rep that the $25 referral credit actually don't get applied on tablet plans? Anyone can confirm?
Jul 16, 2013
940 posts
408 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: I heard from a rep that the $25 referral credit actually don't get applied on tablet plans? Anyone can confirm?
It does. She is lying
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5567 posts
7771 upvotes
Vancouver
Youcanbyteme wrote: Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
---
Now, with VOIP.ms it is totally different story. Yes, learning curve is a bit steep at the beginning, but - DON’T LET THAT TURN YOU AWAY - rewards are aplenty. We all went through this.

You will have to follow THIS-Guide.

It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.] EDIT: Sorry, yes, there is a refund option!

On your phone use either ZOPIER or CSipSimple

ZOPIER is simpler for the first time users; later – in a few weeks, when you learn nuff – you will probably jump on CSipSimple due to way more options and granular level of control, not to mention better Codecs that you may [or may not] need…

So, what I’m suggesting is:

Open an account with VOIP.ms;
Buy minimum credits;
Get a temporary DID;
Install softphone app on your phone;
Start learning and using it [follow links I gave you first – everything else will fall in place soon.
Then transfer your own phone number over and Bob is your Brother-in-law..

Side note: their Tech support is top-notch. Reach them over Chat [or email] they are very friendly and fast to answer. Helped me a lot when I started [lol, just this reminded me how ignorant I was when I started!!!] Face With Tears Of Joy

EDIT:

Oh, BTW, I forgot to tell you the most important thing:

You will need just a basic setup of your ZOPIER/VOIP.ms combo, and for incoming calls only.

You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]

So your $25 will last you better part of the year.

[Note that you can use Hangout for calling right away too, BUT darn FONGO will not let you receive verification code from Hangouts, so you cannot use it as your caller ID number. Your calls will be much better quality then FONGO, however you will be "Unknown number.]]
Last edited by max011 on Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5195 posts
2474 upvotes
Vancity
I'm using Fongo on a LG G3 (CM14.1), and I have no issues. I can't tell the voice quality between it and a landline. The person on the other side has no issues hearing me either.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
max011 wrote: It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.]
There are actually refunds. That's one of the reasons other than excellent support to use voip.ms. From their FAQ:

"You can ask for a refund of the remaining balance at any time should you choose to cancel the account. "

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Can_I_ ... account.3F
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
"Q: If I am not going to use the number for SMS/voice does it really matter which phone number I get ?
A: yes, you will get charged taxes on your bill based on your number."

Is this means that I could reduce my bill if I change to another area code # in a less tax province ? and if yes, which area code has the less tax?

mine is registered to a Toronto # now.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2967 posts
2001 upvotes
montreal
dealseeker wrote: There are actually refunds. That's one of the reasons other than excellent support to use voip.ms. From their FAQ:
"You can ask for a refund of the remaining balance at any time should you choose to cancel the account. "
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Can_I_ ... account.3F
Thanks dealseaker.
I have convince a lot of friends in the last years to switch to voip.ms and the minimum 25USD was often a detail that made my friend hesitate.
I wasn't aware that you can request the balance if needed.
So thanks for that info!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
max011 wrote: You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]
I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
Last edited by Kevinck on Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
Question: what are the odds of Fido kicking people off for using a tablet plan on a phone? Any chance of them going the Virgin route and locking sims to tablet IMEIs only?
Banned
Dec 12, 2016
48 posts
that rep is lying. I have deal lot of referral credit recently. And I also confirm with fido couple of time -- this $15/3GB plan does apply that $25 referral, but you need to wait 90 days before see that credit on your bill, FYI.
Dec 6, 2012
431 posts
252 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Kevinck wrote: I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
If you already have google voice number, you may have to create another google account to verify your Canadian number on hangout because your google voice number is linked with your google account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)