Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:32 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Good point. I didn't think of that but Chris doesn't activate accounts remotely anyway.
The folks at the Fido call centre have access to shipping that the franchise stores don't. Actually, the call centre is like the competition to the franchises.
Nov 28, 2016
58 posts
74 upvotes
will888 wrote: The folks at the Fido call centre have access to shipping that the franchise stores don't. Actually, the call centre is like the competition to the franchises.
One correction, they don't compete with us. They actually help us activate/change plans. They have targets of their own but don't get the commission. It's just like best buy, they help customers to buy products, don't make anything out of it, but still have targets.
Jan 11, 2012
410 posts
351 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
I'm not sure if it's the best but I've had good luck with my Netgear AirCard 763S. I bought it used through kijiji, I think it might be a Rogers unit (no carrier branding) but it works just fine with a Fido SIM card.
It has its own battery or you can power it off a USB cable.
Not sure but if my memory is right but I think that I paid less than $50 for it and it still had the plastic on the screen.
You can get newer fancy touch screen units, obviously they will cost more.
I swap back and forth between my LG G pad tablet and the Netgear hotspot depending on what I'm doing.
FWIW
romsan04 wrote: what is the best hot spot lte device? needs to be mobile (portable).
May 24, 2011
261 posts
34 upvotes
MONTR
aasoror wrote: If your plan was a BYOD with no contract locks, just call/chat and ask them to check your account for eligibility, if denied tell them you know of many others who got the discount even earlier than you are and ask them to recheck, usually they would cave in, worst case, just call again.
2x for above. I did exactly that via live chat.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
ChrisC192488 wrote: One correction, they don't compete with us. They actually help us activate/change plans. They have targets of their own but don't get the commission. It's just like best buy, they help customers to buy products, don't make anything out of it, but still have targets.
What I mean by compete is that a customer will either have activate at a store or through the phone. They are not going to do both. So, in a way, there is a competition via the different sources even if unintentional. TBH, I find the Fido franchises to be the most inflexible with fees adjustments. They go by the book 100%. At the other mobile shops like Bestbuy, at least there can be flexibility with fees.
Mar 7, 2011
105 posts
175 upvotes
I am currently on a 2 year contract on this data only plan (signed up Nov/Dec 2016 and got a free tablet). I went on live chat today and asked about the 50% off loyalty promotion. The sales rep said he applied for it and I should see the changes on the next billing cycle. I'm pretty skeptical that I will actually receive this rebate, but we'll see!
Jul 15, 2003
931 posts
411 upvotes
hkee wrote: I am currently on a 2 year contract on this data only plan (signed up Nov/Dec 2016 and got a free tablet). I went on live chat today and asked about the 50% off loyalty promotion. The sales rep said he applied for it and I should see the changes on the next billing cycle. I'm pretty skeptical that I will actually receive this rebate, but we'll see!
Cool, keep us updated! I'm in the same scenario but got the plan this summer.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135812 upvotes
888888 upvotes
Last time they put me on a financing option instead of $0 for 2 years. I didn't know until last month. Called many times and they still cannot fix it.

Make sure you look at the end of the contract. Most of the Fido reps are not properly trained when they launched the program. Hopefully, they know what they are doing this time.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Nov 28, 2016
58 posts
74 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: Last time they put me on a financing option instead of $0 for 2 years. I didn't know until last month. Called many times and they still cannot fix it.

Make sure you look at the end of the contract. Most of the Fido reps are not properly trained when they launched the program. Hopefully, they know what they are doing this time.
Lolol. Can confirm most fido reps don't know how to do mbb's properly. We get training from rogers and all but the thing is, there's four codes to use. 1for byod, 1for 24month contract, 1for easy pay contract, and 1for easy pay byod. Now you may be wondering. Wth is a easy pay byod? Noone knows. We just don't use it. All we know is if we choose that, you're screwed. And you know how I said most reps don't know how to do it properly? Yeah, we screw up a lot of customers' mbb's that way. I myself am a dealer, so we're wayy more careful, but I've seen people come in cursing at us with nothing to say cuz i know we screwed them over. So yeah.. It's pretty funny imo but something that shouldn't happen especially from a consumer's perspective :L.
Nov 26, 2015
167 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i have two data plans from this summer.
one is on contract with 3gb, just chat to get loyalty discount. FAILED

the other is 2gb without contract. try to match 3GB, also FAILED.
Mar 7, 2011
105 posts
175 upvotes
My husband tried getting the deal at Costco and at a Best Buy (Both Heartland in Mississauga), but both stores said they couldn't do it without him being a Fido Postpaid Customer.
Sep 25, 2011
146 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
apvm wrote: Going to try my luck with Bestbuy tomorrow. Not a current customer of Fido.
Went to Costco (near Dundas Mississuaga and 403) and Best Buy (along Dundas near 403) and both said they could not activate because am not an existing wireless contract customer.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
hkee wrote: I am currently on a 2 year contract on this data only plan (signed up Nov/Dec 2016 and got a free tablet). I went on live chat today and asked about the 50% off loyalty promotion. The sales rep said he applied for it and I should see the changes on the next billing cycle. I'm pretty skeptical that I will actually receive this rebate, but we'll see!
Always ask for a reference or interaction # especially with any account changes. It's a number that starts with the letter "I"

I'm sure you'll see the discount. I was also told next billing cycle and that it's "only" good for 12 months. That's a whole year of savings!
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
For me i was fortunate enough to get 2 of these data plans without any catch back in <snipped>. It was probably luck but for me i just looked for the prettier rep in-store and struck up a conversation. Maybe because she was naive or young and inexperienced but she ended up being very eager and even punched in a special code when giving me the 2 data plans to save in having to pay the $25 one-time setup fee for each. Awesome! So i got them both with just the 3GB/m data plan. I strongly doubt this would have worked if it were a dude or someone older.
Last edited by brand404 on Nov 3rd, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
brand404 wrote: For me i was fortunate enough to get 2 of these data plans without any catch back in <snipped>. It was probably luck but for me i just looked for the prettier rep in-store and struck up a conversation. Maybe because she was naive or young and inexperienced but she ended up being very eager and even punched in a special code when giving me the 2 data plans to save in having to pay the $25 one-time setup fee for each. Awesome! So i got them both with just the 3GB/m data plan. I strongly doubt this would have worked if it were a dude or someone older.
Atta boy :) Being friendly and courteous goes a long way.
Dec 26, 2013
1 posts
Hello,
Could you tell your store location and telephone? I want to get this 3GB data plan, but I'm not a Fido customer. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
You would be lucky if the discount held up. I tried 4 times to get the discount on the plan that came with the tablet. The first 3 agents said they cannot apply a discount to a plan with the tablet. The fourth agent spent a lot of time searching for codes and said she found the code. Next bill comes and no savings. I called up to see why. Apparently, there are no promo codes for the plan that comes with a tablet. Please share the code with us if discount works out for you.
Feb 25, 2014
30 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Can you share with us which store did you go?

Thanks,
brand404 wrote: For me i was fortunate enough to get 2 of these data plans without any catch back in <snipped>. It was probably luck but for me i just looked for the prettier rep in-store and struck up a conversation. Maybe because she was naive or young and inexperienced but she ended up being very eager and even punched in a special code when giving me the 2 data plans to save in having to pay the $25 one-time setup fee for each. Awesome! So i got them both with just the 3GB/m data plan. I strongly doubt this would have worked if it were a dude or someone older.
Oct 29, 2016
316 posts
137 upvotes
will888 wrote: You would be lucky if the discount held up. I tried 4 times to get the discount on the plan that came with the tablet. The first 3 agents said they cannot apply a discount to a plan with the tablet. The fourth agent spent a lot of time searching for codes and said she found the code. Next bill comes and no savings. I called up to see why. Apparently, there are no promo codes for the plan that comes with a tablet. Please share the code with us if discount works out for you.
I got 3x 3GB data lines in Sept 2016
1 of those lines I took a Gpad for $0 down with $10 financing x 24 months
I felt kind of stupid when only a couple weeks later there was the 2-year contract for $0 gpad deal.
Signed up for a 4th line on the contract for my 2nd tablet
only a couple weeks after that, i got the 50% discount on the first 3 lines

TL;DR i was able to get a discount on a data plan that had a tablet, but it has to be one with financing, not a 2 year contract for service

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)