Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:32 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MichaelYYZ wrote: Bad news from the CRTC this morning
Seems the Robellus faction on the CRTC got together for a round of golf (in Florida?) and decided they didn't want those MVNO puppies nipping at their heels.
"The regulator also announced Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus will have to provide low-cost, data-only wireless plans to all Canadians. Such plans would not include talk and text."
As soon as Fido removes the must-be-cellphone-subscriber requirement from the naked 3GB/$15 data plan Robbers will be in compliance. As for competition, how are Bhell and Telus going to respond to Fido's current free-for-a-year-after-3-months'-loyalty promo?
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 4, 2013
338 posts
424 upvotes
Edmonton
aasoror wrote: While no one can tell for sure, it was initially mentioned that it ends in April 1st.
I got off my lazy a$$ and just got signed up for the free plan this am. So it’s still on. Live chat 30 mins
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2461 posts
949 upvotes
Halton
Got this plan yesterday in the Fido store without any other Fido services. I was not a Fido customer before.

Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Got my first bill with promo, can 100% confirm the promo works without paying the tab on certain plans. This is amazing.
Aug 20, 2016
425 posts
375 upvotes
got 50 percent off for 12 months
I only have the data plan for my tablet
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
MichaelYYZ wrote: Bad news from the CRTC this morning in regard to the Government still not requiring the Robelus trio to alow MVNOs on their networks. However, there is another shimmer of hope, whatever this may mean:

"The regulator also announced Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus will have to provide low-cost, data-only wireless plans to all Canadians. Such plans would not include talk and text."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellpho ... -1.4588327
Sorry, I don't quite understand how the MVNO's work. Does it mean that we can leverage wifi networks to make calls/messages before it goes through the cellular network for data? Do you mind explaining more?
Dec 24, 2016
158 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) is a wireless company which does not own a network infrastructure and rents that from an incumbent. They are popular in the western world (USA, Europe, Australia, etc.). In Canada they are permitted to operate, too, but the decision to allow them access to the existing networks rests with the incumbents. And - yes, you guessed it right! - they do not allow this because, otherwise, it would create competition.
slimysnot wrote: Sorry, I don't quite understand how the MVNO's work. Does it mean that we can leverage wifi networks to make calls/messages before it goes through the cellular network for data? Do you mind explaining more?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
slimysnot wrote: Sorry, I don't quite understand how the MVNO's work. Does it mean that we can leverage wifi networks to make calls/messages before it goes through the cellular network for data? Do you mind explaining more?
Europe is full of these… They give you a Virtual phone number [usually special ‘area code’ – otherwise works just as any other phone number] and let you buy different [very, very reasonably priced!] packages of data, text, voice or combo of it all… Some give you other perks through their apps – free [with renewal] subscription to some or many TV channels or music streaming [to sell you more data packs]… you get an idea.. And they do it all on “rented” infrastructure.. You CAN use WiFi for the app [TV, Streaming] but concept is to do it all on cellular data network [so that you pay]...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
max011 wrote: Europe is full of these…
Canada has a few MVNOs too, e.g. ztar who buys capacity from Robbers then sells it at retail through 7-11 SpeakOut, Petro Canada Mobility, etc. But apparently the incumbents charge rather high wholesale prices so that it's very hard for MVNOs to compete. Consider that SpeakOut charges $10 for 100MB data while Fido charges $15 for 30x as much (when they're not giving it to us for free.)

The US has quite a large contingent of MVNOs.

What the CRTC needs to do is mandate access for MVNOs at prices that make commercial sense. IANAL so I don't know if making the incumbents common carriers of cell and Internet services as they are of copper telephone. But something like that would probably be a better way to create a more conducive environment for increased competition.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2013
1395 posts
7214 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
WTF ?

Images
  • Screenshot (51)_LI.jpg
Last edited by Dealer40 on Mar 23rd, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Koodo - Zoomer Mobile - Tangerine - Voip.ms
Sep 10, 2015
501 posts
406 upvotes
Brampton, ON
SoGood wrote: Got the $50 overage text, haven't done anything yet.
should i not do anything?
Have you gone above the 5gb? let us know your results
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
Dealer40 wrote: WTF ?
That smells like quality time over the chat ...

Assuming that your free year starts on April 18th ...

They changed your plan from MOBILE_INTERNET_FLEX_RATE_PLAN to MOBILE_INTERNET_RATE_PLAN.
They charged you an extra 12.51$ for the 2 month period.
They charged you the tab balance (instead of leaving it on you account and continur to simple decrease it by 10/mo)

Good luck
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver

I believe they managed to change your plan from $15 + free tablet to $15 without the tablet.... and charge you $15 for 3 days of use... Charged you for the rest of the tablet price... A few Classic Fido screw ups, but you got the Grand Combo...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
As max011 mentionned ... some classic mistakes that can be resolved through chat...
Just have to stay calm and explain the problem.

Just sad that you'll have to spend some time on this ... again.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
superbigjay wrote: As max011 mentionned ... some classic mistakes that can be resolved through chat...
Just have to stay calm and explain the problem.

Just sad that you'll have to spend some time on this ... again.
Even with Chat, staying calm, showing respect and being patient will not guarantee success. I've even escalated to Fido management via their "Share your concerns" page without success.

As with everything to do with Fido, YMMV.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4016 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
My brother got the unlimited data, so being the sibling he is, he rubbed my nose in it by livestreaming facebook video! :D So I had to have a talk with Fido!

I could not get the unlimited data, but I did get 50% off with the plan with the tablet attached, and 100% off with the month to month data plan. Both deals last a year.

I do not know what to make of this. On one hand, I get a really good discount for the year, but on the other, I really wanted that unlimited data!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
1333 posts
543 upvotes
Kingston
atlantic_man wrote: Got charged for the balanceSmiling Face With Horns Anyone had good luck getting reversed?
aasoror wrote: You should have acted before the invoice was issued, its harder now but its not impossible, just call and ask why were you charged while many others were not.
Called Fido today. A very nice guy promised to reverse this charge. But, he said he couldn't change my changed 2GB (Data only plan) to any of 3GB plan.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
MichaelYYZ wrote: Bad news from the CRTC this morning in regard to the Government still not requiring the Robelus trio to alow MVNOs on their networks. However, there is another shimmer of hope, whatever this may mean:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellpho ... -1.4588327
Good news on the data only plan thing! With Bhell they wanted an IMEI to get a data only tablet plan.
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
dealguy2 wrote: With Bhell they wanted an IMEI to get a data only tablet plan.
They did it always...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)