• Mar 25th, 2019 9:05 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17793 posts
5875 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 4:20 pm
I am currently paying $7.50 a month for 2G data and I am interested in getting an additional sim for our son. Has anyone tried getting a second sim to match the discounted price?
It is very easy. Just don't go to a Fido store otherwise you might get a hard time about having to be a cellular customer. The retail partners are super willing to earn commission on any sale. I got my new lines at a T-booth store at the local mall back in January. It was the nearest store that had the GPad IV tablet in stock. Well actually it was not in stock at that particular store, they imported it for me from a store in a different province. Since the tablet is free as long as I commit to staying for 2 years, it is a no brainer when they will gladly reduce the monthly fee to $7.50 for 24 months.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $40/5GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6590 posts
2412 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:02 pm
It is very easy. Just don't go to a Fido store otherwise you might get a hard time about having to be a cellular customer. The retail partners are super willing to earn commission on any sale. I got my new lines at a T-booth store at the local mall back in January. It was the nearest store that had the GPad IV tablet in stock. Well actually it was not in stock at that particular store, they imported it for me from a store in a different province. Since the tablet is free as long as I commit to staying for 2 years, it is a no brainer when they will gladly reduce the monthly fee to $7.50 for 24 months.
Thanks for your inputs. I am not sure exactly what you mean by retail partners. Is the PC Mobile Shop one of them? I originally signed up for the $15/2G tablet plan to get the free tablet as bonus. I finished the two-year term with them and that's when they offered me $7.50/month to stay. I am keeping the current number but I would like to get a new number for our son's phone, preferably at the same price @$7.50/month. Do I just just ask one of their retails partners for a new sim and sign up a new number there? Would it be easier if I just call Fido Customer Service? Sorry for all these questions, I am not very familiar with mobile plans and procedures. We have been using SpeakOut all these years but our son only texts so I figure a tablet sim will work very well for him.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8897 posts
1998 upvotes
IMO you should be able to get the 3GB/7.50 easily. Almost everybody here has the 3gb plan
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6590 posts
2412 upvotes
Calgary
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:47 pm
IMO you should be able to get the 3GB/7.50 easily. Almost everybody here has the 3gb plan
Really? That would be awesome. Do you have a link where I can access such information?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2119 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto, ON
can get a data plan with Fido even don't have existing fido plan?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8897 posts
1998 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 8:07 pm
Really? That would be awesome. Do you have a link where I can access such information?
tell them all your friends have the 3gb plan
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17793 posts
5875 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:18 pm
Thanks for your inputs. I am not sure exactly what you mean by retail partners. Is the PC Mobile Shop one of them? I originally signed up for the $15/2G tablet plan to get the free tablet as bonus. I finished the two-year term with them and that's when they offered me $7.50/month to stay. I am keeping the current number but I would like to get a new number for our son's phone, preferably at the same price @$7.50/month. Do I just just ask one of their retails partners for a new sim and sign up a new number there? Would it be easier if I just call Fido Customer Service? Sorry for all these questions, I am not very familiar with mobile plans and procedures. We have been using SpeakOut all these years but our son only texts so I figure a tablet sim will work very well for him.
What I mean by retail partner is any store that is not Fido and is authorized to resell Fido products. For me the big problem was finding a store that still has the GPad IV in stock. In my local mall, I had a choice of going to Bestbuy Mobile, Wow and T-Booth (another brand of Wow). T-booth was able to secure a tablet for me. They even gave me $50 to spend in store for accessories for signing up a new plan.

The big difference with going to a retail partner is that they don't enforce the condition that you have to be an existing cellular customer to get the tablet plan. The ordering process is super simple. Since I have an existing account, it was that much easier. They just added a line. The guy did not even question me when I asked if I can choose a phone number and that I wanted an AB area code. Those of us in ON are envious of the sales tax rate in AB. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17793 posts
5875 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 8:07 pm
This ongoing hot deals thread contains everything about the $15/3GB plan.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-3g ... t-2078212/
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17793 posts
5875 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 8:54 pm
can get a data plan with Fido even don't have existing fido plan?
Yes, just sign up at a retail partner store (any store selling Fido products that isn't a Fido store). These stores generally ignore conditions that get in the way of commissions.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2005
1319 posts
173 upvotes
London, ON
Both web chat and retention agent provide 50% off rate, but both refused to give me the free tablet on renew, saying subsidized table is only for sign up/renew with full price ($15).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15062 posts
7420 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
zickvon wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:21 am
Both web chat and retention agent provide 50% off rate, but both refused to give me the free tablet on renew, saying subsidized table is only for sign up/renew with full price ($15).
In the past you could request the loyalty discount on "'free' tablet - $15/mon for 24 month" plans after 6 months. So (6x$15) + (18x$7.50) = $225. Whereas if you renew the loyalty discount on an existing data plan you pay 24x$7.50 = $180. So that "free" tablet costs you $45.

(This assumes (a) that you cancel your old plan when you get the new "free" tablet and (b) that Fido still offers 50% off for 24 months, 6 months from now. If (b) doesn't apply then you're on the hook for $180 more than data-only. That's still less than the value of the LG G Pad or whatever Fido offers to replace it.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6590 posts
2412 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:50 am

What I mean by retail partner is any store that is not Fido and is authorized to resell Fido products. For me the big problem was finding a store that still has the GPad IV in stock. In my local mall, I had a choice of going to Bestbuy Mobile, Wow and T-Booth (another brand of Wow). T-booth was able to secure a tablet for me. They even gave me $50 to spend in store for accessories for signing up a new plan.

The big difference with going to a retail partner is that they don't enforce the condition that you have to be an existing cellular customer to get the tablet plan. The ordering process is super simple. Since I have an existing account, it was that much easier. They just added a line. The guy did not even question me when I asked if I can choose a phone number and that I wanted an AB area code. Those of us in ON are envious of the sales tax rate in AB. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
They do sound very slack about these terms. I personally don't really care about the tablet. I wonder if I should try asking for the plan without the tablet since I already have one from Fido 2 years ago.
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:04 am

This ongoing hot deals thread contains everything about the $15/3GB plan.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-3g ... t-2078212/
I don't think I am qualified for the deal. Available to Fido postpaid customers with wireless plan (voice only, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible)
I only have the tablet plan with Fido.
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:06 am

Yes, just sign up at a retail partner store (any store selling Fido products that isn't a Fido store). These stores generally ignore conditions that get in the way of commissions.
I probably can try The Mobile Shop inside our local RCCS. The reps there seem to be very eager to sell products to their customers.
Nov 19, 2011
85 posts
17 upvotes
London
Finished with Chat: Nothing for my "data only" plan is available. I have to take a free tablet for the $ 15/2gb deal. I don't really want to give up my 3gb so I passed on that deal. I'll call in and see if I can get someone who knows more about these plans. She said there are no loyalty programs available either. I have 2 days to figure this out.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1860 posts
987 upvotes
montreal
morganplus8 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:48 pm
Finished with Chat: Nothing for my "data only" plan is available. I have to take a free tablet for the $ 15/2gb deal. I don't really want to give up my 3gb so I passed on that deal. I'll call in and see if I can get someone who knows more about these plans. She said there are no loyalty programs available either. I have 2 days to figure this out.
worst case ... you pay your 15$ for the month and have an additional 28 days to figure this out
;-)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17793 posts
5875 upvotes
Toronto
@althetrainer , I have never ever had a Fido cellular plan. I certainly do not qualify for any tablet plan if the rules were hard coded into the computer system. It is totally up to the person on the computer to give out the plan or not. I have had good success with non Fido stores. The long thread includes reports that some Fido stores will bend the rules as well. As for getting a tablet or not, that is a personal decision. I see it this way, the tablet is free provided I stay for 24 months. Since they are discounting the data for 24 months, there is no reason for me to leave early. If you intend to stay 24 months or much of it, get a tablet and sell it to help pay for the plan.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 6 guests)

imawnms, slpless, m3lkgch, darennn