Hot Deals

[Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 6:57 pm
Nov 1, 2010
19 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Just wanted to confirm with someone if this deal is still open for Non fido customers? And if so does anyone have any recommendations for some in the west GTA like Sauga or Brampton? I'm looking to just get the data no tablet. Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2259 posts
1034 upvotes
Vancouver
Gester24 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 9:20 pm
Just wanted to confirm with someone if this deal is still open for Non fido customers? And if so does anyone have any recommendations for some in the west GTA like Sauga or Brampton? I'm looking to just get the data no tablet. Thanks in advance
Just read the last few pages please....
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Nov 1, 2010
19 posts
1 upvote
GTA
max011 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:10 pm
Just read the last few pages please....
Thanks I read over 30 pages yesterday but as I skimmed through majority were just about the discounts for existing customers and not about non fido customers trying to get it. Also used the search in thread to filter but had no luck so I just wanted a quick update.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1861 posts
987 upvotes
montreal
Gester24 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 10:33 am
Thanks I read over 30 pages yesterday but as I skimmed through majority were just about the discounts for existing customers and not about non fido customers trying to get it. Also used the search in thread to filter but had no luck so I just wanted a quick update.
Search on this forum really sucks (IMO) ...
Never been able to find something useful using the search located on the top corner ...
I usually use google search and specify the forum ...

That being said, searching for that info would also be difficult to get the info your looking for.
And only reading through the multiple pages will help you finding the info you are looking.

Short answer : yes some people were able to get it at kiosk like the ones at bestbuy.

To have a list of those kiosks ... you'll have to read if you can find one near your place in this thread.
Or you do, like many ... you try and see if it works.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15066 posts
7426 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
superbigjay wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 10:59 am
Short answer : yes some people were able to get it at kiosk like the ones at bestbuy.

To have a list of those kiosks ... you'll have to read if you can find one near your place in this thread.
Or you do, like many ... you try and see if it works.
From time to time people do post about their success or failure with a particular store. It's worthwhile to scroll and read a few pages back. Even so different clerks at the same store can sometimes have different understandings of what's allowed. As a result this continues to be a YMMV deal that can vary over time even at the same location.

There's no good answer to this common question other than to note (a) it's YMMV and (b) the amount of effort one puts into research and into trying depends on how badly one wants the deal.

P.S. I agree that this forum's search sux and that Google's site-specific search is much better.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 6, 2012
222 posts
77 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Dealing with fido is very YMMV.

I got free LG G Pad III tablets at bestbuy with the $15 for 3G tablet plan in 2016. In March 2018, I was lucky to get 100% rebate data applied to my tablet plans. My 2 yrs tablet contracts expired Dec 2018 and my 100% rebate data expires March 2019.

Last month I tried to upgrade to the LG G Pad IV but the agent told me it was available in-store only and it was only available to customers with cellphone line but she could give me either the Samsung, Alcatel or Huawei tablets so I settled for another free (not easy pay) Huawei tablets upgrades even without cellphone lines. I also ask for loyalty/retention discount of 50% for 24 months but the agent refused saying i was already getting a free tablet upgrade.

Today i was finally able to again get the 50% rebate data applied to the tablet lines for another 24 months.

Thanks to some good tips on this forum so it is possible to get a free tablet upgrade (maybe not the LG G Pad IV) and also get 50% data rebate (maybe not at the same time) .
Last edited by donbamo on Feb 16th, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15066 posts
7426 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
donbamo wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:21 pm
Last month I tried to upgrade to the LG G Pad IV but the agent told me it was available in-store only
The G Pad IV has been discontinued and is no longer generally available. There may be some inventory left at select phone stores however this is going to be hit-and-miss, mostly miss.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1470 posts
667 upvotes
GTA
Gester24 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 9:20 pm
Goto one of the malls and then go store to store to 3rd party cell phone resellers like tbooth, wireless wave, best buy. Its ymmy but you should get some success out of them.
Post back as well so we have more data points :)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15066 posts
7426 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Canada’s new low-cost cell phone plans? ‘A joke,’ expert says - National | Globalnews.ca
And some of the new low-cost data plans appear less generous than what telecom giants are offering through their data plans for tablets, Klass noted. The plans allow users to operate the devices using data instead of WiFi through a SIM card that often works on phones, too.

With Bell’s tablet plan, for example, users can get up to 2 GB a month for $30 and up to 5 GB a month for $45. Rogers customers can get up to 2 GB a month for $30 and up to 4 GB a month for $50. And Telus also offers $35 for up to 2 GB a month, as well as up to 4 GB for $45.
The article itself is a bit of a joke too since it doesn't mention the even cheaper Fido data plan that's been the subject of this thread for over two years.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 6, 2017
55 posts
14 upvotes
I got a bill for 0.00 last month. This month back to the usual 16.80 including tax. I wonder what was up with that..
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2259 posts
1034 upvotes
Vancouver
tsx612 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 2:51 pm
I got a bill for 0.00 last month. This month back to the usual 16.80 including tax. I wonder what was up with that..
Only you can find the answer... We don't know particulars of your deal...
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4072 posts
991 upvotes
Ottawa
That’s crazy, Fido asked me to pay finance $13/mon plus $7.5/ min data plan, lol, I can get a iPad for that price. Did Fido change the data plan ? Thanks
Images
  • 2CE499B8-4173-4E9E-B19E-7ED6190D5F27.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2991 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
PSA
I visited fido.ca a few minutes ago and saw this:
As of April 9, 2019, we’re moving to online billing. Ensure you are signed up to My Account to receive your bill notifications.
No mention of this on my most recent paper bill (Feb 04)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2259 posts
1034 upvotes
Vancouver
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 4:35 pm
PSA
I visited fido.ca a few minutes ago and saw this:

No mention of this on my most recent paper bill (Feb 04)
Got the same info... Funny tho, I can't even log into my account app. cuz I blocked incoming/outgoing everything and now they insist to send me a confirmation SMS..

Anyway, it will be all over in 2 months when my $0 comes to an end...
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2991 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:21 pm
Funny tho, I can't even log into my account app. cuz I blocked incoming/outgoing everything and now they insist to send me a confirmation SMS.
Well that is a cluster**
Is that through the app or a browser? Sounds like time for a chat or call to change your settings.

Is it possible to set up for incoming SMS without being charged for it on this plan?