[Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2019 10:04 am
Jun 6, 2017
54 posts
14 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 3:30 pm
Only you can find the answer... We don't know particulars of your deal...
I know. It was more of a rhetorical question
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15031 posts
7383 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:34 pm
Is it possible to set up for incoming SMS without being charged for it on this plan?
There is no charge for incoming SMS, at least while the SIM is in Canada. (I don't know if incoming SMS would trigger foreign roaming fees when outside Canada.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2980 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:47 pm
There is no charge for incoming SMS, at least while the SIM is in Canada.
Thanks @bylo
Now to figure out what I had turned off when I signed up when this all started. It was a funky mix of voice/text options. I think I asked for everything not wanting extra charges.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4072 posts
991 upvotes
Ottawa
Fido Facebook message agent is getting worse and worse, chatted with them the whole afternoon, still can’t get my renew done, I called retention to cancel data plan when my 100% discount is over in a week, I have 1gb bell data plan for $5/mon, before I can’t use it on phones, after half a year, I found I can use it on my iPhone now, just changed the imei, I don’t need 2 data plan, it’s alll good.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2245 posts
1013 upvotes
Vancouver
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:34 pm
Well that is a cluster**
Is that through the app or a browser? Sounds like time for a chat or call to change your settings.

Is it possible to set up for incoming SMS without being charged for it on this plan?
It's through the app... But does not matter, I'll cancel it when my 100% off expires in 2 months... Don't use it anyway...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2245 posts
1013 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote:
There is no charge for incoming SMS, at least while the SIM is in Canada. (I don't know if incoming SMS would trigger foreign roaming fees when outside Canada.)
In theory and in my practical experience [albeit not using Fido data SIM] all incoming SMS are free wherever you are. Even ages ago when I had a regular Fido cell line, I was receiving free SMS outside of Fido zones. Doubt that anything had changed.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal
FYI in Quebec City we were able to get a new plan activated for a family member that was not a Fido client.
We tried 6 different cell shops including best buy before finding a place that did the activation, reluctantly, but they did it.
La cabine T Sans Fil 2700 Boulevard Laurier Unit 0439, The did not charge for the Sim card. plane is the 3GB $15 per month.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1816 posts
1412 upvotes
bylo wrote:
I can confirm that I received free SMS with my Fido data-only SIM while in Mexico, without any roaming fees (obviously, my phone was set to "Data off when roaming").
Oct 29, 2007
254 posts
16 upvotes
My data only plan 100% promotion is ending next Month, is the 50% off promo/24 months and free tablet promotion still on?

And got questions, if getting a new SIM card
1. can the SIM be taken to a phone to use
2 is tethering supported?
3. is VOIP (such as Fongo) supported?
Oct 24, 2016
523 posts
360 upvotes
ON
^ Last week I was able to get the 50% off promotion for 24 months but not the free tablet. I was told that free tablet can be had but without the promo (at $15/month). Will try again for the free tablet.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Oct 29, 2007
254 posts
16 upvotes
You already agreed for another 24 months, there is still chance to get a free tablet?
Holystone wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:56 am
^ Last week I was able to get the 50% off promotion for 24 months but not the free tablet. I was told that free tablet can be had but without the promo (at $15/month). Will try again for the free tablet.
Oct 24, 2016
523 posts
360 upvotes
ON
I don't know. I'm not particularly keen on any of the tablets that they currently have. If something new comes up then will try at that time. I have a total of 3 data plans in my household.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1859 posts
987 upvotes
montreal
andyhejob wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:24 pm
You already agreed for another 24 months, there is still chance to get a free tablet?
Doesn't really matter, because to get the free tab, you usually need a new line anyways ...

So of someone gets the 50% off for 24 month and later want the free tab, he would get a new line at 15$, and probably close the one discounted at 50% ...
Oct 29, 2007
254 posts
16 upvotes
for a new line, how long before we can apply for 50% or 100% discount?

does new SIM card support the same as the current one?

superbigjay wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 1:11 pm
Doesn't really matter, because to get the free tab, you usually need a new line anyways ...

So of someone gets the 50% off for 24 month and later want the free tab, he would get a new line at 15$, and probably close the one discounted at 50% ...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15031 posts
7383 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
andyhejob wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 4:12 pm
for a new line, how long before we can apply for 50% or 100% discount?
Three months.
does new SIM card support the same as the current one?
Yes to all three.

Remember this is the same data plan that Fido has been offering for some three years now.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 4 guests)

stizarch, sparkaction