Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:32 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Louking wrote: Wait...........you are going to owe them 10x24 = $240 for the 2 year commitment? So where does $541 device cost comes into play? Are they going to charge us remaining device cost plus cancellation fee if we cancel before two years?
If yes, then this is a trap unless you pay $240 over two years.
No, there is no data plan contract. You can cancel at any time. You will owe the remaining device balance. However, it's best to wait a couple of cycles because the $35 activation fee is charged up front + tax. It will be credited later, supposedly on the 2nd or 3rd bill. (You don't get the tax credited back on the activation fee though, just the base $35 credit.)

So, if you wait say 2.5 cycles for the credit before cancelling, you'll have paid $25 for your data plan, plus about $5 for tax on the activation fee. $30 with data for a couple of months and waived activation fee is better than paying $40 for the activation fee (including tax) and getting no data.
Louking wrote: I read somewhere that 4 GB has call and texts blocked, incoming and outgoing.
No. Incoming texts are not blocked.

IMG_8283.PNG
Last edited by EugW on Dec 21st, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
VivienM wrote: I believe they've only offered one plan at a time - first it was the $15/3GB, then the $15/4GB, now the $10/4GB.
The first data plan was 1GB/$15. I got that almost 4 years ago. They then had a limited time promotion that offered 3GB/$15. I upgraded to that in the summer of 2016. Then before Christmas they offered a free LG G Pad III. I was able to get that as well. Then in 2019 they've offered first 4GB/$15 and now 4GB/$10, in both cases with free tablets. They've also offered free 4GB with free tablets to selected customers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EugW wrote: No. Incoming texts are not blocked.
No. Incoming texts ARE blocked even if the plan summary page says they aren't. My plan summary shows what yours does but incoming texts don't come in.

Try sending a text to your data plan number and see if it actually arrives.
Images
  • Screenshot (Dec 21, 2019 10_38_34).jpg
Last edited by bylo on Dec 21st, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
Is Fido still offering this for free if you call in after x amount of time?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: The first data plan was 1GB/$15. I got that almost 4 years ago. They then had a limited time promotion that offered 3GB/$15. I upgraded to that in the summer of 2016. Then before Christmas they offered a free LG G Pad III. I was able to get that as well. Then in 2019 they've offered first 4GB/$15 and now 4GB/$10, in both cases with free tablets. They've also offered free 4GB with free tablets to selected customers.
I tried very, very hard to get the 4 GB free, with or without a free tablet. Fido always refused to give it to me, despite the fact I had two lines with them with lots of data and no device subsidies. I just didn't meet their target criteria, whatever that may be. Finally one of the agents last week tried to give me the 4 GB plan free with my iPad 7 purchase, but the Fido back office nixed that data plan credit.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dankup wrote: Is Fido still offering this for free if you call in after x amount of time?
Only one way to find out: Pay $15 [$10] per month for 6 months then try your luck in Fido's YMMV lottery.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EugW wrote: I tried very, very hard to get the 4 GB free, with or without a free tablet.
Lots of "selected customers" got this through an XTRA promotion.
I just didn't meet their target criteria, whatever that may be.
That's why I said "selected customers"
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Lots of "selected customers" got this through an XTRA promotion.

That's why I said "selected customers"
Yes I know. However, my point was that I don't how they are selecting these customers. I'd say a large chunk of the customers they selected for this are paying way less than I am per month, since I have two lines with lots of data and an add-on plan for each line. I'm paying $134 for two lines with no device subsidy and was never given this offer, but others who might just be paying $50 for their phone got the free data line.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EugW wrote: However, my point was that I don't how they are selecting these customers.
Yeah, I understand. That's why I constantly refer to the "Fido YMMV lottery."
I'd say a large chunk of the customers they selected for this are paying way less than I am per month, since I have two lines with lots of data and an add-on plan for each line. I'm paying $134 for two lines with no device subsidy and was never given this offer, but others who might just be paying $50 for their phone got the free data line.
If you're really determined to get that free tablet and data plan you could try phoning in and ask for Retentions. Explain your situation to them as you just did here. Tell them that since your loyalty doesn't seem to be appreciated you're now exploring other carriers' Christmas promos. Tell them you're calling Retentions because you want to give Fido a chance to make things right by you before you switch. That should increase your odds of winning the lottery. As always, YMMV. There are no guarantees.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: No. Incoming texts ARE blocked even if the plan summary page says they aren't. My plan summary shows what yours does but incoming texts don't come in.

Try sending a text to your data plan number and see if it actually arrives.
Interesting. I will try this once it arrives (next week). However, I specifically asked two different agents and both said incoming texts are not blocked on the 4 GB $10 tablet plan. It doesn't matter for me though since we already have regular voice/ text/data plans for our phones.
Oct 12, 2015
428 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote: Interesting. I will try this once it arrives (next week). However, I specifically asked two different agents and both said incoming texts are not blocked on the 4 GB $10 tablet plan. It doesn't matter for me though since we already have regular voice/ text/data plans for our phones.
I activated my 4gb/10$ plan yesterday in a Fido store without an existing line with Fido.
I tried to get text messages in this data line and it worked for me. So incoming text are working for me. Outgoing text not working, I tried several times, but outgoing group messages, text message with subject added in both cases converted to MMS and I was able to send them. So outgoing MMS indeed works for me but however I don't know if I'm going to get charge for MMS. The calls doesn't work.
The representative was extremely helpful and he also offered Samsung 8 or Huawei t5 but I was looking for iPad 6 for 100$. He doesn't have any refurbished iPad so I took the plan only without any contracts.
I'm not sure if I can post the store details here for helping other to finding this deal easily without any existing voice plan. @moderator please let me know?
Jul 21, 2009
428 posts
178 upvotes
London
claudiu_corbea wrote: I would like to know this as well. Thinking of a Pixel 3A that officially works with an eSIM
I setup a Fido esim on my Pixel 4XL No problems.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
ahmeddotdoha wrote: I activated my 4gb/10$ plan yesterday in a Fido store without an existing line with Fido.
I tried to get text messages in this data line and it worked for me. So incoming text are working for me. Outgoing text not working, I tried several times, but outgoing group messages, text message with subject added in both cases converted to MMS and I was able to send them. So outgoing MMS indeed works for me but however I don't know if I'm going to get charge for MMS. The calls doesn't work.
The representative was extremely helpful and he also offered Samsung 8 or Huawei t5 but I was looking for iPad 6 for 100$. He doesn't have any refurbished iPad so I took the plan only without any contracts.
I'm not sure if I can post the store details here for helping other to finding this deal easily without any existing voice plan. @moderator please let me know?
Good to hear incoming SMS works on this plan as advertised, for those who need it. Thx for the confirmation.

SMS conversion to MMS? That would get expensive if pay-per-use MMS (as opposed to regular data).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ahmeddotdoha wrote: I activated my 4gb/10$ plan yesterday in a Fido store without an existing line with Fido.
Doesn't work for me. I just tried sending a text to my Fido number from two different sources. No go.

Others have posted that they were flat-out refused when they asked to have incoming texts unblocked. Perhaps this is something that Fido can do, but as always on a YMMV basis.
I'm not a moderator but I don't see why not, as long as you don't post any personal information. So e.g. store name and location is OK but the name of the employee isn't.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote: I don't see why not, as long as you don't post any personal information. So e.g. store name and location is OK but the name of the employee isn't.
Correct.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote: But note that every thread has a Thread Summary directly under the OP where people who notice issues with the OP can add their updates [hint, hint...]

There's also the option to PM the OPer and ask them to update their OP.
Already updated :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ahmeddotdoha wrote: I'm not sure if I can post the store details here for helping other to finding this deal easily without any existing voice plan. @moderator please let me know?
Ignoring policies, I'm not sure it's a good idea to publicly post the names of stores that are doing things that are not officially allowed - wouldn't want either i) a flood of activations, or ii) someone from Fido reading this thread getting these folks in trouble...
Banned
Nov 1, 2013
304 posts
42 upvotes
Couple of quick questions:
1. Is the ipad 7 going to cost $200 plus $35 activation fee?
2. From a resale point of view, isn't it better to get an ipad and put it up for sale on kijiji?
3. I hate using Iphone due to itunes. Do I need to connect ipad to itunes in order to load movies (torrents!) and music into it?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
VivienM wrote: Ignoring policies, I'm not sure it's a good idea to publicly post the names of stores that are doing things that are not officially allowed - wouldn't want either i) a flood of activations, or ii) someone from Fido reading this thread getting these folks in trouble...
Nah, it's never the whole store, usually just selected rep(s) there, and pretty sure Fido is aware of this thread ;) Just don't single out reps and it should be ok.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)